Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 199, David Bernhardt, D,DjurgÃ¥rdens IF, Sweden

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wonder what the plan is for him this season. Per eliteprospects, Djurgårdens has 9 D on the roster and Bernhardt is the youngest one. I would assume he's too good to play in the J20 again. If he doesn't make the senior team maybe they would loan him to a team in Allsvenskan.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Wonder what the plan is for him this season. Per eliteprospects, Djurgårdens has 9 D on the roster and Bernhardt is the youngest one. I would assume he's too good to play in the J20 again. If he doesn't make the senior team maybe they would loan him to a team in Allsvenskan.

Given that Djurgården is also looking to add one more PMD/ PP QB I'd think that a loan would be sensible for Bernhardt's playing time. If they don't add another Dman and he remains with Djurgården then he's probably the 7th Dman which isn't exactly ideal for ice time.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Was +1 today in his first senior game for Djurgården as they won 4-0 vs French team Roeun in the Champions Hockey League.

He played as the #6 Dman on the right side of the 3rd pairing.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Has started the season pretty darn well in J20 after being #7D for seniors in Champions Hockey League. (J20 team had already played

After 2 games has 1g, 3a, 4P, +2 and has 17 shots on goal... in two games. Yep, you read that right.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think he has that league figured out. Hopefully he gets a promotion.

He would probably already be playing on ~10 of the teams in the SHL... but Djurgården have a really solid group of Dmen with quite a few guys of a similar, pretty good, tier.

Last year Adam Ollas Mattsson was their 7/8 and only played in 22 games... and he was on WJC team. Their D last year was better on paper, and they have lost some very good Dmen, but they have replaced them pretty well.

Urbom, Johansson, Varakas & Kousa have all played senior international.
Falk was playing 15 mins a night last year in SHL.
Ollas Mattsson is mature for age and has some pedigree.
Press was not great last year... but played well in Champions Hockey League, though he is the incumbent #7 I think right now.

That being said he is the #8 right now on paper... and will be in line-up if someone goes down.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Has started the season pretty darn well in J20 after being #7D for seniors in Champions Hockey League. (J20 team had already played

After 2 games has 1g, 3a, 4P, +2 and has 17 shots on goal... in two games. Yep, you read that right.

That's some crazy stats for a d man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who's our freakin' scout in Sweden, he deserves a bonus (some money, a couple Swedish blondes, whatever it takes to keep up the good work).
Sandstrom 3rd, Lindblom 5th, and now this guy in the 7th rd!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So what level of play is the Jr20 in comparison? Have good D come it of there much?

It's their junior league. All junior aged players that aren't good enough to play consistent minutes in the SHL or Allsvevskan play in it. So a lot of Swedish players that have come up through the ranks have played in it.

It's very likely safe to say Bernhardt's overqualified for the junior league at this point. If he's not good enough to play in the SHL consistently a loan to a Allsvevskan team which is the second tier pro league would probably be best.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
J20 is a good league for draft eligible 17 and 18 year old kids.

For a kid going on 19 and who dominated the league and playoffs last year? Probably not, which is what I said earlier on in this thread. It's still early in the season, but I doubt he plays another full year of Junior hockey. He'll get promoted or loaned somewhere I believe.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Took a hit today according to a news report that had him staying down on the ice. Report mentions possible concussion but I've found nothing else about it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That explains a lot.

Thankfully, they saw the error of their ways, with Hextall in charge, I doubt they make these mistakes again.

And I agree with leaving the kids in the SHL to grow up and bringing them over to play in the NHL - the SHL is at least as good if not better than the AHL, and the kids can focus on hockey.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The signing window change from two years to four years for players under the SHL umbrella was a pretty big one during the last CBA negotiations in 2013. It really helps for late pick guys like Bernhardt & Hogberg who might need that extra year or two to prove they're worthy of a contract.

It probably benefits the SHL from seeing less guys cross the pond to NA juniors leagues too.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This guy sounds like a nice jewish kid from Queens. Somebody will have to remind me he's from Sweden

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Got his first SHL point today in a 3-2 SO loss.

Shot from blue-line that forward picked up and scored on. Was also +1.

He played over 10 minutes on the third pairing... generally looked really quite dangerous when he got the puck on the blueline... got a number of shots through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad