Name: David Bernhardt
Position: Defense
Team: Djurgårdens IF (SHL/Superelit)
Birthdate: Dember 1, 1997
Birthplace: Sweden
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 203lb

Stats -- http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=193766

In the seventh round, the Flyers took 6-3, 203-lb defenseman David Bernhardt with the 199th pick. Bernhardt has played in the DjurgÃ¥rdens IF system since 2012 and has spent most of the last two seasons on its U-20 team in the SuperElit, the same league as Hogberg’s Vaxjo squad. Bernhardt had 10 goals and 28 assists for 38 points in 45 games last year, which was the second-highest point total of any defenseman in that league last year. Bernhardt was the 17th-ranked European skater in NHL Central Scouting’s midterm rankings, and although he fell to 38th in the final tally, he was still rated considerably higher than where he was taken by several draft pundits.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887389

Last edited by a moderator:

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Killed the U20 Swedish league. 38 points in 45 games. Ranked #49 by hockeyprospect.com

Killer value here to end the draft.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hockeyprospect.com had him #49th on their final rankings. His brother was a Rangers pick last year & played with the London Knights in the OHL this past season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
4 points off the team lead in scoring. His junior team won the league championship.

Can we teach some of these kids to play right handed?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This sounds amazing for such a late pick but how does a guy with those stats and ranked that high by some people fall that far?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great value in the 7th round... his toolset is not one that you get everyday, especially given it has actually garnered results in junior level hockey.

6'3 with decent mobility for his size and offensive skills.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Is there a pick the Flyers made you haven't criticized? JFC :shakehead

He said good things about most of the guys, you must have missed them though. If he's seen a lot of these guys play I think it's more than fair for him to share his opinion on them.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Looking at his stats he seems like a pretty high value pick considering his position... what's the rub?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am a big fan of both Swedes that we picked, it's always great to draft defenseman from Sweden. These 2 seem to be great picks, given the rounds they were selected, quite high upside too. I am really looking forward to follow them through the season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am a big fan of both Swedes that we picked, it's always great to draft defenseman from Sweden. These 2 seem to be great picks, given the rounds they were selected, quite high upside too. I am really looking forward to follow them through the season.

It is literally never a bad thing to take Swedes with mid-late round picks. Forwards or d men.

On a side note, Fazleev, Lonesome Dove-McFalls of the House of Usher, Twarynski, Bunnaman, Salintiri are the only CHL players Hexy has taken from round 3 on. Only 5/17 picks. It's smart. CHL is usually picked dry well before the other leagues in NA and abroad, where gems of players routinely go undervalued and are available deeper into drafts. Way more bang for your buck.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
It is literally never a bad thing to take Swedes with mid-late round picks. Forwards or d men.

On a side note, Fazleev, Lonesome Dove-McFalls of the House of Usher, Twarynski, Bunnaman, Salintiri are the only CHL players Hexy has taken from round 3 on. Only 5/17 picks. It's smart. CHL is usually picked dry well before the other leagues in NA and abroad, where gems of players routinely go undervalued and are available deeper into drafts. Way more bang for your buck.

My thoughts exactly. I would emphasize taking Europeans in the later rounds or goalies.

SheasRebellion6

Jan 17, 2012
Bernhardt is a puck-moving blueliner. He uses his great vision and hard, accurate passes to find his teammates on the ice. He is very creative with his passes, both short-ranged passes as well as long-ranged dishes from his defensive zone to streaking forwards. He has solid puck skills while also being able to protect the puck with his balance, strength and size. He has decent speed, but could improve upon it along with his acceleration as he can have a hard time getting back to defend after joining the rush. More of a passer than a big shooter from the point, when Bernhardt does release a shot, he has no problems delivering one-timers and wrist shots quickly and on target. He shoots low, trying to set up his teammates for deflections, especially in power play situations when he plays point.

While playing five-on-five, he often follows the play up ice as an extra winger on offensive rushes. He can be a little adventurous in the offensive zone, often leaving his position on the blueline to either pinch in for a shot or dig in the corners. He finds his teammates easily with passes and knows where to put the puck in order to set up a scoring chance. Defensively, Bernhardt can use both his stick and strength while trying to separate the opposing player from the puck. He keeps solid gaps between himself and the puck carrier that allows him to have control over the rush. He does have a tendency to move the puck rather quickly along the boards in the defensive zone when a check could be coming as he does not like to be hit. Bernhardt is inconsistent in covering the slot and often avoids the gritty areas. He is without a doubt an offensive talent, but has areas he needs to improve in his defensive game.

From FC

I assume most have already seen this, but I figured it might be of some help to those who were asking why he fell.

Mjoedgaard

Jul 4, 2013
4 points off the team lead in scoring. His junior team won the league championship.

Can we teach some of these kids to play right handed?

Its tough consider most of the world is right handed and naturally shots left handed.

It is much more common for NA players to be thought to shot right handed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad