Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, but that isn't reality.
Would have been nice to sign him but they can't force him to. Also, was he even a top 10 defense prospect for them. I remember when the Flyers didn't sign Tomas Hyka a few years back and everyone freaked out. He was supposed to be this awesome prospect, then he ended up going in the 6th or 7th round when he went back into the draft and played like 20 NHL games. Yet another example of massively overrating prospects which is par for the course here.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Would have been nice to sign him but they can't force him to. Also, was he even a top 10 defense prospect for them. I remember when the Flyers didn't sign Tomas Hyka a few years back and everyone freaked out. He was supposed to be this awesome prospect, then he ended up going in the 6th or 7th round when he went back into the draft and played like 20 NHL games. Yet another example of massively overrating prospects which is par for the course here.

I agree it would have been nice to sign him. My issue with losing players like these is that I don't like losing assets (really, anywhere in life). Hyka did not pan out, but he had a chance to, which is what all the assets are (chances), until they graduate to actually valuable NHL players. It's like losing your 50/50 ticket at the game. Even if you lose, you're tilted until you find it suck to your pants because you spilled your beer earlier.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I agree it would have been nice to sign him. My issue with losing players like these is that I don't like losing assets (really, anywhere in life). Hyka did not pan out, but he had a chance to, which is what all the assets are (chances), until they graduate to actually valuable NHL players. It's like losing your 50/50 ticket at the game. Even if you lose, you're tilted until you find it suck to your pants because you spilled your beer earlier.
I completely agree. I certainly would have prefered that they signed Kalynuk. I'm not losing sleep and trashing the organization over it though either.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Always bad to lose an asset for nothing.

Would’ve really liked to sign him. So long as Fletcher is trying, not much more we can do. It’s up to him.
Sounds like testing the market was always in his plan. I thought Granato’s comments about the Flyers keeping in touch and supporting him in a positive way were interesting. Maybe it will matter in the end. Still time.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
At least if he never makes it to the nhl you cant blame the organization for mishandling him or not giving him a chance.
Hope he signs with the Pens or Rangers.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Are we measuring fandom in jerseys owned now? Since this isn't always a constant due to wear and tear or purchases over time, do we chart it with exJO?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, and if COVID hadn't come along, they'd have probably traded Kalynuk's rights after they concluded they couldn't sign him, like they did with Marody.

I can't think of another player who walked the last few years they wanted to keep.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
No, and if COVID hadn't come along, they'd have probably traded Kalynuk's rights after they concluded they couldn't sign him, like they did with Marody.

I can't think of another player who walked the last few years they wanted to keep.
How many actually walked? Marody traded?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Marody didn’t have the same early out option as Kalynuk. The equivalent time to the Marody trade was last summer, as that’s the only point he could have been offered the advantage of going pro a year early.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad