Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chicago wouldn't have given much for Kalynuk, just look at their depth chart, they're actually deeper than the Flyers in young defensive prospects and have a roster logjam with 5 veterans signed through 2022.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know that he's a straight to the nhl guy. I fear he was already outshined here behind sexier not necessarily better prospects.
He's in a good spot in Chicago where if he does have what it takes it's not overcrowded and there's enough other talent that he won't be overwhelmed having to do it all.
He came about as far as you can want for a 7th Rd pick. He put himself into a position to succeed. Just wish we'd gotten something in return. I hate giving up assets

There's no way he is a straight to the NHL prospect.

Reactions: renberg

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
I disagree. Cooper Marody was a 6th round pick, and we received a 3rd for him. Kalynuk is a better prospect than Marody. We could have at least gotten a 3rd.
The flyers organization should be raked across the coals for allowing this happen. The had complete control over this situation as its not like Kalynuk was able to choice where he wanted to go. From all reports they treated him like a 2nd class citizen and never worked with him at all.

Just pure incompetence on the GM's part for trading his rights, once they realized he was going to walk, as i am sure all the other teams would have given him a pick. My guess is he didn't even try to try to trade his rights. So i am sure he passed up acquiring at least a 3rd for him that was offered just to spite himself.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Nope.

Chicago likely thinks they got an NHL defenseman on an ELC with PP upside. That is well worth a 2nd round pick. I thought he could have played for the Flyers next season. Again, we’ll worth a 2nd round pick.

Not that my opinion really means anything but I had him rated as the 5th best prospect in the system just last week, behind Zamula. He’s not on Zamula’s level but Zamula is one of the best prospects in hockey and worth a first round pick so...
if he was worth any pick do you think the GM just decided to pass said pick up for the hell of it?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The flyers organization should be raked across the coals for allowing this happen. The had complete control over this situation as its not like Kalynuk was able to choice where he wanted to go. From all reports they treated him like a 2nd class citizen and never worked with him at all.

Just pure incompetence on the GM's part for trading his rights, once they realized he was going to walk, as i am sure all the other teams would have given him a pick. My guess is he didn't even try to try to trade his rights. So i am sure he passed up acquiring at least a 3rd for him that was offered just to spite himself.

I read this as a serious post before realizing it was sarcasm and I was very confuzzled.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Let's dial the troll meter down a little, Rimaldo.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
I read this as a serious post before realizing it was sarcasm and I was very confuzzled.
if anyone can explain to me what the flyers could have done different to get him to sign here please have at it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
There is a sarcasm emoji to deploy. It has come in useful when I'm reading someone else's post and I haven't had a cup of coffee yet.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Only if there was a competition to get him. If there were no other bidders (which we will never know), why would anyone have traded for his rights?
You mentioned he was a former 7th round pick so I thought you were discussing his value as a player and not an asset, otherwise being a 7th round pick is irrelevant. I was equating his talent to the expected value of a 2nd round pick.

Discussing his value as an asset seems futile considering he could have walked as a FA last year.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
You mentioned he was a former 7th round pick so I thought you were discussing his value as a player and not an asset, otherwise being a 7th round pick is irrelevant. I was equating his talent to the expected value of a 2nd round pick.

Discussing his value as an asset seems futile considering he could have walked as a FA last year.
how does one assesses the value here? His market price was a 7th round pick at the draft, his player value at the pro level is completely unknown. I would not evaluate him as a player at this point of his career, but it's just me.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
how does one assesses the value here? His market price was a 7th round pick at the draft, his player value at the pro level is completely unknown. I would not evaluate him as a player at this point of his career, but it's just me.
Zamula was undrafted and hasn't played a pro game. What do you think his worth is?

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Zamula was undrafted and hasn't played a pro game. What do you think his worth is?
You are comparing apple to oranges. Zamula is a proven player now, but he was not when he had been passed over at the draft and had been released from Flames prospect camp.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You are comparing apple to oranges. Zamula is a proven player now, but he was not when he had been passed over at the draft and had been released from Flames prospect camp.
Kalynuk was passed over twice and has since proven his worth. Seems apt to me.

Draft position means very little when we are three years removed from when it took place.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The best players in the USHL tend to be the best players in College and the best players in College are the ones that get the Pro contracts. I would look at this pick as the team thinks he has the potential to be a pro in 3-4 years and could be worthy of an NHL contract, so rather than fight for him as a College FA, they secure his rights before he enrolls in school.
Ahhh Circle of Life.

Reactions: Tripod

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Marody was a later round pick. After proving to be one of the better forwards in the NCAA, he was traded for a 3rd.

Kalynuk was one of the best NCAA defensemen, so his trade value might've had a similar rise.

Reactions: Striiker

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Kalynuk was passed over twice and has since proven his worth. Seems apt to me.

Draft position means very little when we are three years removed from when it took place.

Ok. We will agree to disagree. Especially, since we are not privy to the full information on his relationship/ communication with Flyers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad