Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, he'd never be able to displace a great defensemen like Hagg.

Why are we even bothering to draft anyone new when we have an ace like him? Not to mention old man Braun. We're set for the next decade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Why are we even bothering to draft anyone new when we have an ace like him? Not to mention old man Braun. We're set for the next decade.

He's a lesser prospect than York or Zamula, and might have fallen behind Millwood in a year or so.
What the Flyers really need is another RHD prospect, not sure Wylie is the answer.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't know that he's a straight to the nhl guy. I fear he was already outshined here behind sexier not necessarily better prospects.
He's in a good spot in Chicago where if he does have what it takes it's not overcrowded and there's enough other talent that he won't be overwhelmed having to do it all.
He came about as far as you can want for a 7th Rd pick. He put himself into a position to succeed. Just wish we'd gotten something in return. I hate giving up assets

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure he's a lock on Chicago:
5 guys signed through 2022: Keith, Seabrook, Murphy, de Hann, Maatta,
Boqvist #8 - 2018
Beaudin #27 - 2018
Regula #67 - 2018
Krys - #45 - 2016
Gilbert - #91 - 2015, 21 games with Chi last season
Carlsson - #110 - 2016, cameo with Chi last season
Mitchell - #57 - 2017

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I disagree. Cooper Marody was a 6th round pick, and we received a 3rd for him. Kalynuk is a better prospect than Marody. We could have at least gotten a 3rd.
Of course it was a possibility. I believe, the probability of that happening was close to nill, but I will give you a benefit of the doubt.
How do you know they did not try to get something?
If you were a GM would you trade for his rights, or would you just wait for his rights to expire?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Seemed like he wanted to go there all along.

Perhaps it’s sour grapes, but I can do without another Andy Delmore.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is sarcasm emoji missing?
Nope.

Chicago likely thinks they got an NHL defenseman on an ELC with PP upside. That is well worth a 2nd round pick. I thought he could have played for the Flyers next season. Again, well worth a 2nd round pick.

Not that my opinion really means anything but I had him rated as the 5th best prospect in the system just last week, behind Zamula. He’s not on Zamula’s level but Zamula is one of the best prospects in hockey and worth a first round pick so...

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I disagree. Cooper Marody was a 6th round pick, and we received a 3rd for him. Kalynuk is a better prospect than Marody. We could have at least gotten a 3rd.

Marody was traded when he still had 17 months until he became a free agent.

Reactions: CSKA1974

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019

hopefully they extend ghost at some point with him being a #1 dman

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Nope.

Chicago likely thinks they got an NHL defenseman on an ELC with PP upside. That is well worth a 2nd round pick. I thought he could have played for the Flyers next season. Again, we’ll worth a 2nd round pick.

Not that my opinion really means anything but I had him rated as the 5th best prospect in the system just last week, behind Zamula. He’s not on Zamula’s level but Zamula is one of the best prospects in hockey and worth a first round pick so...
Only if there was a competition to get him. If there were no other bidders (which we will never know), why would anyone have traded for his rights?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Exactly. A team would have given a 2nd or 3rd for a young D-man on an ELC that could step into their starting lineup on Day 1

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad