Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
So if Kempe transitions to LW and both he and Kaliyev play on a line with Kopitar do we call it the Triple A Line, the A-oK Line, or the KKK Line?

Reactions: funky

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So were the Kings not going for the BPA with the #22 pick with Bjornfot? And instead they opted for their greatest need after the Turcotte pick - if somehow Byram fell to us at #5 a forward would have been picked at #22 for sure.

That's not what he said.

He said it was a dead heat, but the number of quality defensemen remaining in the tier was fewer than the remaining forwards.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Just sign the kid to an entry level and let him and Kovy run the PP. one on each side in the circles pounding shots. I know he is not ready but he definitely knows what to do with the puck and has the tools to put it by NHL goalies. That video on the last page with him shooting back door rockets time and time again was awesome.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Here's every one of his goals from last season. Kid has a wicked one timer. There's nobody currently on the Kings that has a shot this good IMO.

He not only finds space but does a great job positioning himself to open up the passing lanes and make the quick release. Nothing wrong with his skating that I can see and he looks much better offensively than TT at the same stage if you ask me. For me he is our most exciting pick of this years draft.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
If Alec Martinez gets moved, and Kaliyev takes the 27 when he moves up, then AK9+AK11+AK27 = AK47 line. I don't know why I'm obsessed with AK47s. I did get to fire one once in the army in 1984, but when I see or hear "AK", that is what I think of.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If Alec Martinez gets moved, and Kaliyev takes the 27 when he moves up, then AK9+AK11+AK27 = AK47 line. I don't know why I'm obsessed with AK47s. I did get to fire one once in the army in 1984, but when I see or hear "AK", that is what I think of.

Last AK in sports was in the NBA with Andrei Kirilenko.. AK47 was a damn good nickname

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Last AK in sports was in the NBA with Andrei Kirilenko.. AK47 was a damn good nickname

If my research is correct, there’s never been an AK47 in the NHL. There were two AK27’s, two AJ47’s, and two KA47’s, though.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That interesting stuff. Its good to see he shoots from the right areas which you’d expect but there is so little from the perimeter. It’s a great ratio. Some players shoot on site but it looks like he makes sure he’s gets value from his shot, waiting for decent chances before firing on net. That shows a degree of skill and an ability to be selective and patient. I’d be interested to know his shooting % and chance conversion %, I’d bet both are high.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That interesting stuff. Its good to see he shoots from the right areas which you’d expect but there is so little from the perimeter. It’s a great ratio. Some players shoot on site but it looks like he makes sure he’s gets value from his shot, waiting for decent chances before firing on net. That shows a degree of skill and an ability to be selective and patient. I’d be interested to know his shooting % and chance conversion %, I’d bet both are high.

Not sure about his chance conversion percentage, but he had 51 goals on 320 shots for Hamilton last season, good for 15.9% shooting percentage. The year before, he scored 31 goals on 208 shots, for a 14.9% shooting percentage.

Reactions: Token

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
He not only finds space but does a great job positioning himself to open up the passing lanes and make the quick release. Nothing wrong with his skating that I can see and he looks much better offensively than TT at the same stage if you ask me. For me he is our most exciting pick of this years draft.

that shot is just effortless and release is insane. Low back swing kinda reminds me of Robataille.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Agree - we got a potential top 4 DMan and the flier on a goal scorer. Great job by Blake and crew.
Lets hope the Kings don't do something dipshit like making him a LWinger! And making Fagemo a RWinger. Arthur Kaliyev is a RWinger and Fagemo is a LWinger. Stick to their natural positions!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man how many of these were from when the Bulldogs were behind or tied...

Yeah, it's extra impressive since he's basically the Ovechkin "just cover that guy" on the team, with 102 points on a near-last place Hamilton team whose next closest scorers were Matthew Strome at 79 and Kade Landry at friggin 51...literally twice as many points as the 3rd place scorer and you could argue Strome's only at 79 because of assists to Kaliyev. For perspective, Kaliyev was 23, 51 and 55 points ahead of his next leading scorers...Kopitar's previous Hart-worthy season saw him 31 points in front of Brown, 32 in front of Doughty, 45 in front of Toffoli. If not for Strome, Kaliyev would have more points than almost any combination of three additional teammates, haha. Just monster draft season.

For further perspective, the other 100 point recent draft year OHLers:
Debrincat had 101, with a 111 point Dylan Strome and a 1st place Erie Otters team (semis loss)
Strome did it the previous year with 111 on a 2nd place Erie Otters team (finals loss)
McDavid is McDavid, no investigation necessary, lol--but Erie Otters.
Marner had 126 with a 109 point Christian Dvorak and 102 point Max Domi on an oddly-6th place London Knights team (first round exit)
Stamkos had 105 with no one of real note--DiBenedetto had 93 points, Ryan Wilson 71, on a mediocre Sarnia team
Seguin had 106 with the Plymouth Whalers whose next scorers had 63 and 49 points respectively, mediocre team again
Tavares beasted out with two teams his draft year, ending up with the insane Knights team that had Kadri, John Carlson, Del Zotto, etc...but of course Tavares is also Tavares and did it yearly.

That's some phenomenal company and by junior context Kaliyev has more in common with Stamkos, Seguin, and Tavares (far leading scorer on mediocre teams) than he does with Debrincat, Strome, Marner (guys stacked with other phenomenal offensive players)...and just looking at draft value alone, good lord.

He obviously has plenty of things to CLEARLY work on and that's not a knock, he's got value up the wazoo and compares favorably to some superstars depending on how next year looks for him.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, it's extra impressive since he's basically the Ovechkin "just cover that guy" on the team, with 102 points on a near-last place Hamilton team whose next closest scorers were Matthew Strome at 79 and Kade Landry at friggin 51...literally twice as many points as the 3rd place scorer and you could argue Strome's only at 79 because of assists to Kaliyev. For perspective, Kaliyev was 23, 51 and 55 points ahead of his next leading /oscorers...Kopitar's previous Hart-worthy season saw him 31 points in front of Brown, 32 in front of Doughty, 45 in front of Toffoli. If not for Strome, Kaliyev would have more points than almost any combination of three additional teammates, haha. Just monster draft season.

For further perspective, the other 100 point recent draft year OHLers:
Debrincat had 101, with a 111 point Dylan Strome and a 1st place Erie Otters team (semis loss)
Strome did it the previous year with 111 on a 2nd place Erie Otters team (finals loss)
McDavid is McDavid, no investigation necessary, lol--but Erie Otters.
Marner had 126 with a 109 point Christian Dvorak and 102 point Max Domi on an oddly-6th place London Knights team (first round exit)
Stamkos had 105 with no one of real note--DiBenedetto had 93 points, Ryan Wilson 71, on a mediocre Sarnia team
Seguin had 106 with the Plymouth Whalers whose next scorers had 63 and 49 points respectively, mediocre team again
Tavares beasted out with two teams his draft year, ending up with the insane Knights team that had Kadri, John Carlson, Del Zotto, etc...but of course Tavares is also Tavares and did it yearly.

That's some phenomenal company and by junior context Kaliyev has more in common with Stamkos, Seguin, and Tavares (far leading scorer on mediocre teams) than he does with Debrincat, Strome, Marner (guys stacked with other phenomenal offensive players)...and just looking at draft value alone, good lord.

He obviously has plenty of things to CLEARLY work on and that's not a knock, he's got value up the wazoo and compares favorably to some superstars depending on how next year looks for him.

Dat ceiling... /drool

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Ive watched all of the summer showcase games USA has played so far. Kaliyev has consistently looked like the best player on that team imo. He might legitimately be our best prospect right now. Offensively he is on a different level then even Turcotte. And for as much as people knock his defense and effort i don't see the issue there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad