Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I can't recall the last time the Kings had a sniper like Kaliyev in their prospect pool. Maybe Frolov prior to the groin issues?

I think it's fair to include Toffoli in that class. He scored 37 in his draft year, 57 in his 18 year old season, and 52 in his 19 year old OHL year. We know he can snipe, he's done it. Needs to regain his touch.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pavel Brendl comparison someone mentioned yesterday. Dear goodness lets hope not. But 50 goals anywhere is not bad.

I was thinking Vanek before the draft and read it somewhere today too, kid himself says Rick Nash.

On the main highlight vid on YT, there was one one-timer that made me audibly say "Jesus Christ".

Can't teach that shot.

Amen, and he loves taking it. Lefty Ovechkin-lite. He had more than one that had me thinking that, just overpowering people.

Now imagine this guy with a few years urgency and development.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I was thinking Vanek before the draft and read it somewhere today too, kid himself says Rick Nash.

Amen, and he loves taking it. Lefty Ovechkin-lite. He had more than one that had me thinking that, just overpowering people.

Now imagine this guy with a few years urgency and development.

If he becomes anything close to either of those two guys my goodness what a freakin steal.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
5 things learned from Day 2 of NHL Draft
Kaliyev finally picked by Kings in second round; USNTDP makes more history

(From NHL) - The article opens with big write-up on Kaliyev.

VANCOUVER -- Arthur Kaliyev arrived at Rogers Arena for the second day of the 2019 NHL Draft hoping to know what his NHL future held.

The forward from Hamilton of the Ontario Hockey League, No. 7 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters, had expected to be selected during the first round Friday, but he didn't need to wait long Saturday to find out where he was headed. He was chosen by the Los Angeles Kings in the second round at No. 33, the second pick of the day.

"This feels unreal," Kaliyev said. "It was a very special moment. I'm really proud to be with the L.A. Kings."

Kaliyev, who was the only draft-eligible Canadian Hockey League player with at least 50 goals and 50 assists, likely will spend at least one more season with Hamilton. He will focus on improving his game and proving teams who passed on him wrong.

"It was hard (Friday), but I think I'm just going to try to prove those teams made a mistake and try to be the best that I can," said Kaliyev, who had 102 points (51 goals, 51 assists) in 67 games.

In my opinion, steal of the draft.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Given he has good size and strength do we give him 9 games (assuming a decent camp)? I’d be tempted and I tend to be conservative about this stuff . I’m excited about this kid, I realise I’m just being impatient. :nod::sarcasm::thumbu:

Edit: the more I think about it, will he really learn much more in junior? He’d most likely be dominant and not be pushed hard enough on his weaknesses. Dunno...

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
There was a hilarious fake rumor on reddit that the reason this kid fell was because he was actually a 1999 born. Interesting spread of risk / reward with how the Kings used #22 and #33. I’m onboard with the reasoning on each player because I trust the scouting staff.

Today it looks like a clear strategic win on both Kaliyev and Bjornfot. Will be fun to follow both their development years. And now we can fantasize about Thomas and Kaliyev lighting it up for the Kings in 4-5 years.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Given he has good size and strength do we give him 9 games (assuming a decent camp)? I’d be tempted and I tend to be conservative about this stuff . I’m excited about this kid, I realise I’m just being impatient. :nod::sarcasm::thumbu:

Edit: the more I think about it, will he really learn much more in junior? He’d most likely be dominant and not be pushed hard enough on his weaknesses. Dunno...

No way. This kid needs to learn to work for his meal.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Regardless of whether he pans out or not, he's going to be one of the most interesting prospects in hockey to watch develop.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's unfortunate that no matter how good a season Kaliyev has he will be excluded from the World Juniors. USA Hockey doesn't like to use players who go the CHL route, unless they are the elite (Kane, Seth Jones (but he also played in the program, so he only halfway counts) etc.).

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
It's unfortunate that no matter how good a season Kaliyev has he will be excluded from the World Juniors. USA Hockey doesn't like to use players who go the CHL route, unless they are the elite (Kane, Seth Jones (but he also played in the program, so he only halfway counts) etc.).

If he rips it up, it’s going to be hard to not give him an invite to camp.

Didn’t DeBrincat rep the US at a world junior?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Not necessarily.

He represented USA in the Hlinka Gretzky tournament, and he has been invited to Team USA's summer camp for the WJC.

While it's true Team USA favors people who go through their program, they take good players from other leagues.

These players were in the CHL at the time of they were played for Team USA the past three tourneys alone:
Jason Robertson
Alexander Chmelevski
Kailer Yamamoto
Max Jones
Logan Brown
Jerry Bracco
Caleb Jones

Reactions: Vino

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Not necessarily.

He represented USA in the Hlinka Gretzky tournament, and he has been invited to Team USA's summer camp for the WJC.

While it's true Team USA favors people who go through their program, they take good players from other leagues.

These players were in the CHL at the time of they were played for Team USA the past three tourneys alone:
Jason Robertson
Alexander Chmelevski
Kailer Yamamoto
Max Jones
Logan Brown
Jerry Bracco
Caleb Jones

Except Robertson, all of those players had appeared in some non-tournament games with the program, something Kaliyev never did.

But I see your point, they have take more CHL players in recent years than I gave them credit for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2