Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Wait just because someone states they would have preferred someone else there whining and being crybabies wtf. :help: A person can have a difference of opinion and state it. That is what this board is about

And it wasn't even because we didn't draft Kaliyev. Just the fact that we needed more scoring and there were still some good talent up front is all I'm saying.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Wait just because someone states they would have preferred someone else there whining and being crybabies wtf. :help: A person can have a difference of opinion and state it. That is what this board is about

Yeah, I think that’s what the issue was. At least, it was for me. But all is well that ends well - I was hoping for Tomasino/Kaliyev at 22 and Vlasic at 33, and we got Bjornfot at 22 and Kaliyev at 33.

Bjornfot just seemed like a broken promise at the time. Had we taken someone with less promise at 33, I think I would be pretty bummed about it.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yeah, I think that’s what the issue was. At least, it was for me. But all is well that ends well - I was hoping for Tomasino/Kaliyev at 22 and Vlasic at 33, and we got Bjornfot at 22 and Kaliyev at 33.

Bjornfot just seemed like a broken promise at the time. Had we taken someone with less promise at 33, I think I would be pretty bummed about it.
With me i got caught up with Bruke saying there is not much upside in him He pretty much a bottom defense man and the fact we need scoring so bad. Looking back at it now I am happy the defense man we took Bjornfot is probably going to turn out better then Vlasic and we still got Kaliyev who I wanted at 22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
With me i got caught up with Bruke saying there is not much upside in him He pretty much a bottom defense man and the fact we need scoring so bad. Looking back at it now I am happy the defense man we took Bjornfot is probably going to turn out better then Vlasic and we still got Kaliyev who I wanted at 22

Definitely. It’s easy to be excited and relieved in retrospect. But in the moment, I thought we passed up a potential first line talent for another “high character” defensive project.

With all that said, I’m super excited for Bjornfot and hope he slots in next to Doughty in a couple years!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He looks pretty well put together physically, would you say he’s 1 or 2 years away from the NHL (physically not technically)?
I really have no idea. He's one of the youngest players drafted in the top 33. But he's also not undersized by any means.

I think the Kings should take their time with him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Definitely. It’s easy to be excited and relieved in retrospect. But in the moment, I thought we passed up a potential first line talent for another “high character” defensive project.

With all that said, I’m super excited for Bjornfot and hope he slots in next to Doughty in a couple years!
I hope anyone not name Forbort becomes Drew's partner asap

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I think we could have landed Bjornfot at 33 or even further down but our getting Kaliyev sure make me happy. I got to watch 21 of his games this season and he is an O machine and not bad in his own end either. As for his alleged poor work ethic I simply don't see it. I have seen him gassed pretty hard and that accounts for some of his "average work ethic" accusers but he isn't lazy or anything like that.

I think he can be a special player.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think we could have landed Bjornfot at 33 or even further down but our getting Kaliyev sure make me happy. I got to watch 21 of his games this season and he is an O machine and not bad in his own end either. As for his alleged poor work ether I simply don't see it. I have seen him gassed pretty hard and that accounts for some of his "average work ethic" accusers but he isn't lazy or anything like that.

Thank god for Tonelli on draft day.

Kaliyev has legit first line potential and there’s a reason we were all screaming for him at #22. The fact he fell all the way to #33 is a godsend.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Okay I have gone to a couple of different players to look for stats on him and I have found him listed as both a lw and a rw Anyone know for sure?

With what I've seen, he's both but is better as a right wing.

To answer a previous question, while I wouldn't call people "crybabies," I do think it's silly people did criticize the Björnfot pick because they passed up on a player like Kaliyev, only to get Kaliyev 11 picks later.

People were overreactionary. Just my opinion.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
This kids going to be a Radulov, finally a kid who loves to shoot the puck, and shoots the puck well. Watched a few of his vids and man he loves the one timer and its a good one to boot. Hoping for good things from this kid, felt bad for him yesterday. Media kept putting him on. Happy for him and for our Kings, All Hail King Arthur!!!

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
With what I've seen, he's both but is better as a right wing.

To answer a previous question, while I wouldn't call people "crybabies," I do think it's silly people did criticize the Björnfot pick because they passed up on a player like Kaliyev, only to get Kaliyev 11 picks later.

People were overreactionary. Just my opinion.

Good i was hoping that he was better on the right . I honestly think the kings don't have much depth on the right side prospect wise. So I am happy to hear this.

Now i do respect your opinion but if u were watching sportsnet as i was There was a list of player on the screen that was dropping to the position. The kings were among the worse teams in the nhl in goals for. There was 3 goal scoring prospects there. So it didn't seem that we would go off board for a defense man. I know you fellow the prospects a lot closer then the average fan. However to the average fan who know we need goals the pick didn't seem right. Lets not forget that Burke and the other so called experts were calling Bjornfoot a bottom pairing defense man at best on tv. The posts all come in before anyone could look into the pick and were reacting on what they were hearing by Burke and other so called experts. We didnt have ur knowledge of said player.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Actually, if you reverse Kaliyev and Bjornfot (22 for Kaliyev and 33 for Bjornfot) I would say we have a perfect first two rounds.

I guess I am arguing apples and brake shoes. We got 4 great players during the first two rounds, how could it be any better?

Thank god for Richie.

was just going to post the same thing. No matter in what order it happened at the end of the draft we now have:

Turcotte - ranked #11 Hockey News, #6 ISS, #4 MacKenzie, #4 N/A NHL.com, #3 Draft Prospects, Hockeysfuture Team Mock # 5
Kaliyev - ranked # 18 Hockey News, #18 ISS, #21 MacKenzie, #7 N/A NHL.com, #16 Draft Prospects, Hockeysfuture Team Mock # 17
Bjornfot - ranked #32 Hockey nNws, #32 ISS, #27 MacKenzie, #7 Euro NHL.com, # 30 Draft Prospects, Hockeysfuture Team Mock # 29

So all 3 1st round worthy according to numerous rankings with Bjornfot going late first early second. Looks like we did okay

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Actually, if you reverse Kaliyev and Bjornfot (22 for Kaliyev and 33 for Bjornfot) I would say we have a perfect first two rounds.

I guess I am arguing apples and brake shoes. We got 4 great players during the first two rounds, how could it be any better?

Thank god for Richie.

100% agreed. Cheers, brother.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think we could have landed Bjornfot at 33 or even further down but our getting Kaliyev sure make me happy. I got to watch 21 of his games this season and he is an O machine and not bad in his own end either. As for his alleged poor work ethic I simply don't see it. I have seen him gassed pretty hard and that accounts for some of his "average work ethic" accusers but he isn't lazy or anything like that.

You weren’t in the rink in the Hammer by chance to see any of his games, TG? I had a chance to go see him a bunch as well. We may have crossed paths. :laugh:

Like a bunch of kids, he needs to work in his defensive game and I have seen him switch off here and there but, his offensive upside/talent is undeniable.

Kid turns 18 in a few days. Sky is the limit for him, he just has to continue to work.

Steve Staios and the Dogs have a good program here so when he graduates, he will come to the Kings prepared.

For me, his coming out party was the 2018 OHL Final versus the Soo. Got a chance to go see all the home games in what was great series and he was a force out there.

Side note, was not impressed with Villalta that series.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Los Angeles Kings: A

Favorite pick: Arthur Kaliyev
Just look at the first three picks the Kings made. Alex Turcotte looks like a top-six talent for their future. Tobias Bjornfot has some limited offensive upside, but is an incredibly poised and mature defender who should challenge for minutes in a couple of years. And the Kings were fortunate enough to have the second-best goal scorer in the draft slide to them in the second round with Kaliyev. Complaints about the consistency of his effort contributed to him dropping all the way to Day 2, but let's not forget Kaliyev scored 51 goals last season and is fantastic when shooting off the pass. Not too shabby for the Kings.

Samuel Fagemo was a second-year eligible who really come on strong this season. Lukas Parik is a really solid goaltending prospect with great size and athleticism. Jordan Spence at No. 95 gives some really nice value as a defenseman who can get the puck up ice quickly. Andre Lee looks like a really sneaky smart pick in the seventh after an excellent postseason for USHL champion Sioux Falls this season. There were a lot of potential home runs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad