Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ive watched all of the summer showcase games USA has played so far. Kaliyev has consistently looked like the best player on that team imo. He might legitimately be our best prospect right now. Offensively he is on a different level then even Turcotte. And for as much as people knock his defense and effort i don't see the issue there.

I think they knock on his defense because it's a Russian stereotype.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think they knock on his defense because it's a Russian stereotype.

To be fair, he was definitely floaty in major juniors.

But it may not be a fair criticism if the rumors of him playing close to 30 min a game are true, too.

I just say imagine what a guy like that can do when he ISNT the main focus, has more controlled minutes, and pro fitness.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
He has a lethal shot for sure, his hands are very good, and he combines that with really elite level Hockey IQ. When you watch him in the offensive zone it looks like he is always open. Hes seemingly always in a dangerous spot, with a passing lane to him, when his teamates have the puck. And when he gets the puck hes ready. He scored 4 goals in this showcase and on each goal the puck touched his stick once...

He could have had much more than 4 goals too, he was directly involved with alot of scoring chances.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Kaliyev (along with Bjornfot) was one of Pronman's 13 "standout prospects" at the World Junior Summer Showcase (Pronman: Standout prospects at the World Junior camps). His comments:

Kaliyev didn’t have the highlight reel plays of Caufield in the tournament, but like Caufield, Kaliyev created a lot of offense and was one of USA’s better offensive players. He’s got his bullet shot, which led to one goal, but he had a ton of other chances as a product of his skill and sense. He showed how well he can move the puck around the offensive zone. His skating looked very average at this pace, but he did show he can keep up.

Last edited:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
i don't have subscription so could you please list the 13 standouts?
gracias

Alphabetically:

Philip Broberg, Tobias Bjornfot, Cole Caufield, Joel Farabee, Nolan Foote, Ville Heinola, Anttoni Honka, Ryan Johnson, Arthur Kaliyev, Spencer Knight, K'Andre Miller, Nick Robertson, Trevor Zegras

Heinola and Honka were listed as a pair for Finland, like Broberg and Bjornfot were for Sweden.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Love this pick especially when you consider that the Kings wanted him late in the 1st and were fortunate to find him still there early in the 2nd.

One of the most fortunate drafts in recent Kings memory. They got everyone they wanted within the first 33 picks.

Some nice karmic payback for getting screwed so hard in the lottery.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
And....King Arthur...strikes again tonight. Goal and an Assist. 5 pts in 2 games.

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
He’ll probably earn even more points once Jan Jenik returns from the Coyotes (if he’s not assigned to AHL). Jenik was the top line center after the trade deadline last season and the two formed chemistry quickly. The guy who was filling in as top line C beside Kaliyev got a concussion on Friday, so they’re thin up the middle right now. It was a tough game tonight (8-5 loss) but Kaliyev played well. One thing they did differently with him tonight was give him PK time, which I don’t recall ever seeing before. I think the coaches are doing this to help him develop with his two-way game.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Is That right Jaime Drysdale was on the ice for all 8 Erie goals ? Our next stud D draft pick we will miss out on , I know it’s early but we get a kid like that to go with Vilardi, Turcotte and Kaliyev, Thomas and JAD just saying

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Is That right Jaime Drysdale was on the ice for all 8 Erie goals ? Our next stud D draft pick we will miss out on , I know it’s early but we get a kid like that to go with Vilardi, Turcotte and Kaliyev, Thomas and JAD just saying
Drysdale was very noticeable all night. I wouldn’t have thought he was on for all 8 but cant recall offhand. He had points on 5 of the goals (1G, 4A) though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00