Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Huh? I was talking about the bozos on the other team that let his line mate walk right into the slot and dish to him for a wide open one timer.

Oh. Didn't re-watch the clip, thought maybe you saw the full game highlight and he was awful in his own zone on a particular play. My bad.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I just found out today he made it to NHL. I'm so happy he did. When he was 11 years old I would play against him 3 on 3 at ProSkate in New Jersey. I would bring my son to Stick and Puck where Arthur was training with OHL guys and Vladi Kouroedov. At 11 he was already a big kid. I would check him sometimes when we played for fun and he would look at his mom in the stands. We already knew back then he will end up in NHL. He was great. The kid would spend like 6 hours a day doing hockey, driving from one place to the other.

Then he moved to Michigan to play for Little Caesars and last I heard was he busted his shoulder. Today I see him in Kings jersey. My son was shocked when he heard the news as well.

When I met him I thought he was weird, and I myself can be very weird, but then I realized he is a nice guy once he meets you, and not weird at all. Very sweet guy. Jells with teammates in a good way. Later it turned out we share the same birthday. He is a Cancer by Zodiac, so he will be a bit anti social in a group but cool 1 on 1. On the ice he actually reminds me of Joe Pavelski. His skating is a bit more like floating. He does not need to chop up the ice to be at the perfect location on the ice. Extremely underrated but efficient. That underratement has landed him in the 2nd round. He should have gone much higher. You guys got lucky. Smart draft.

I hope they approach him correctly and develop him. He can deliver tons of points. He is still a kid. Needs to mature a lot. But I will surprise you, he is a natural leader, so don't be surprised if he leads the Kings one day. Very very similar to Pavelski. I wish him tons of luck and success.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I just found out today he made it to NHL. I'm so happy he did. When he was 11 years old I would play against him 3 on 3 at ProSkate in New Jersey. I would bring my son to Stick and Puck where Arthur was training with OHL guys and Vladi Kouroedov. At 11 he was already a big kid. I would check him sometimes when we played for fun and he would look at his mom in the stands. We already knew back then he will end up in NHL. He was great. The kid would spend like 6 hours a day doing hockey, driving from one place to the other.

Then he moved to Michigan to play for Little Caesars and last I heard was he busted his shoulder. Today I see him in Kings jersey. My son was shocked when he heard the news as well.

When I met him I thought he was weird, and I myself can be very weird, but then I realized he is a nice guy once he meets you, and not weird at all. Very sweet guy. Jells with teammates in a good way. Later it turned out we share the same birthday. He is a Cancer by Zodiac, so he will be a bit anti social in a group but cool 1 on 1. On the ice he actually reminds me of Joe Pavelski. His skating is a bit more like floating. He does not need to chop up the ice to be at the perfect location on the ice. Extremely underrated but efficient. That underratement has landed him in the 2nd round. He should have gone much higher. You guys got lucky. Smart draft.

I hope they approach him correctly and develop him. He can deliver tons of points. He is still a kid. Needs to mature a lot. But I will surprise you, he is a natural leader, so don't be surprised if he leads the Kings one day. Very very similar to Pavelski. I wish him tons of luck and success.

Thanks for posting this. Nice to hear he’s a good guy. FYI though, astrology is garbage. It’s been thoroughly debunked.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He's the prospect I'm most excited about. Feel like his production as a 17 year old in the OHL is just glossed over because, I don't know, he's "weird" and not a good old Canadian boy?

Just scouting via YT clips is foolish, but his highlight reel is insane. I did watch the US games in the Summer Showcase and he looked great. Like, I didn't see the laziness or other knocks on him. He actually hounded the puck in the zone, its just that he was doing it with an eye on getting the puck and not finishing a check. He was successful at it as well. Real good vision. The article is correct to talk up his passing ability.

Going to be something when he fully fills out that frame of his as well. I know that Juniors is filled with guys that score a ton of points and never do anything at the NHL level, but it isn't filled with 17 year olds over 100 points. Maybe he busts and everyone was right but he looks so legit.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's the prospect I'm most excited about. Feel like his production as a 17 year old in the OHL is just glossed over because, I don't know, he's "weird" and not a good old Canadian boy?

Just scouting via YT clips is foolish, but his highlight reel is insane. I did watch the US games in the Summer Showcase and he looked great. Like, I didn't see the laziness or other knocks on him. He actually hounded the puck in the zone, its just that he was doing it with an eye on getting the puck and not finishing a check. He was successful at it as well. Real good vision. The article is correct to talk up his passing ability.

Going to be something when he fully fills out that frame of his as well. I know that Juniors is filled with guys that score a ton of points and never do anything at the NHL level, but it isn't filled with 17 year olds over 100 points. Maybe he busts and everyone was right but he looks so legit.

You're not crazy. Everyone that watches him points out it's so strange that people keep spitting the same ol "Euro" platitudes and cliches.

His coaches and teammates go out of their way to rave about him and his continued improvement and personality.

The article did say he's a bit more shy around adults, which would explain quite a bit, honestly.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
While I felt so sorry for the kid towards the end of day 1 of the draft, I'm hopeful that the kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder till he makes it up on the big club.

Same goes for Caufield - that kid is also gonna light the lamp a ton in the NHL.

Read the article, bruh ;)

Asked if he had a chip on his shoulder, Kaliyev chuckled.
“Yeah,” he said with a smile.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While I felt so sorry for the kid towards the end of day 1 of the draft, I'm hopeful that the kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder till he makes it up on the big club.

Same goes for Caufield - that kid is also gonna light the lamp a ton in the NHL.

Same as with Durzi, those guys getting some humble pie earlier rather than later is good for their development.

It's one of the reasons I think 2nd round picks are so valuable beyond their spot--a lot of these guys are actively having NHL teams tell them they're not good enough right off the hop instead of entitled pricks like Josh Ho-Sang getting away with whatever he wants until it's too late.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Awesome article by Scott Wheeler. A well done article, in which he got quotes from Hamilton's coach Laise, GM Steve Staois, Conditioning trainer Brooks, USA Team Coach Scott Sandelin, and Team USA GM John Vanbiesbrouck. Nothing but positives spoken of Arthur, all around. I am most impressed by how hard they say he works. We've all seen the amazing clips and his shot and ability to make plays - that are elite level for his age...but it's also going to be his drive and work ethic that will get him to the Kings and be one of the best in the game someday. Even if he comes somewhat short of one of the best, a likelihood of a 30+ perennial goal scorer, 60+ point LW.

Even his strength and conditioning trainer saw a difference in Kaliyev in his physical condition just over the Summer from training with King strength trainer Matt Price. That's just like 4 months. Wait until this kid is 20. He's going to be a power forward, unlike few at his age in the world.

If you feel a bit downtrodden, if the Kings are going on some 3 or 4 game losing streaks....just read this article again. And also a good chance to see good newsworthy updates on the Turcotte's, Thomas', and (Reign games with) Petersen, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Michael Anderson, Durzi and maybe even Clague excelling and you'll feel a little better. Oh, and watch Tobias Bjornfot emerge as a top King defenseman as well. And it doesn't even end there...Fagemo is going to be good...Dudas, Hults, Sodergran and others as well.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Great article, and I have to this kid excites me more and more. I was delighted with Björnfot at #22, but Kaliyev could well be the steal of the draft after going in the second round.

I loved this quote “It doesn’t matter if you go in the first or the second round, I’m just going to be the best when I get there and then they won’t ask where I was drafted”. That says a huge amount about his mindset, especially given his age.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Chip on his shoulder?? The guy was visibly humbled he dropped that far. He's on f****ing mission to prove them all wrong. Perhaps AK is the payoff for us getting screwed in the lottery.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

This is a new strategy all NHL teams should look into, drafting players for certain positions by zodiac sign.

For defensemen I like Taurus or Geminis for the stay at home guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad