Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I thought I heard they would have discussions about guys like Arty being able to go to AHL instead of playing that extra nothing to prove year in the OHL at the gm meetings. Can anyone confirm that?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Cool, but then you look at all the other names on that list... buncha nobodies.

Sorta, but he's done that in not quite even three seasons--most of those guys' numbers are after FOUR FULL seasons. If he plays another season in the O, he'll be untouchable.

The other list where he's up with Tavares is the more visually impressive one though.

Reactions: ricardfromage

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Cool, but then you look at all the other names on that list... buncha nobodies.

If it helps, he's top 50 in goals per game in the OHL all time. He's 2 goals shy of being top 100 all time despite playing in only three seasons, when some have been in the league for five.

This is while Hamilton has, as you said, a bunch of nobodies in their history.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Sorta, but he's done that in not quite even three seasons--most of those guys' numbers are after FOUR FULL seasons. If he plays another season in the O, he'll be untouchable.

The other list where he's up with Tavares is the more visually impressive one though.
Yeah not hating, just more that everyone else on that list never did anything of note in the NHL which illustrates that players don’t always translate. Anyhow better that he’s setting records than not. :)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Via Mayor
Next year, it's OHL or NHL for Kaliyev. See here Understanding NHL Prospect Rules is a Sport in Itself

I think he was asking if the GMs were meeting to revise that rule, not asking for clarity on the rule itself.

It's something I think Yanetti mentioned early in the decade, where they feel someone like Hickey would have benefited from it. But I haven't heard any active or recent plans to change it for certain.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I thought I heard they would have discussions about guys like Arty being able to go to AHL instead of playing that extra nothing to prove year in the OHL at the gm meetings. Can anyone confirm that?

Yep, they talked about it briefly on Spittin' Chiclets podcast last week. Sounds like there's starting to be talks of re-evaluating the rule but I doubt that happens soon enough for it to affect Kaliyev.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Wheeler: Risers and fallers since the 2019 NHL Draft

Arthur Kaliyev, RW, 6-foot-2 (Los Angeles Kings/Hamilton Bulldogs)
Actual draft pick: No. 33
My final ranking: No. 13
The Bulldogs have some decent players. Tag Bertuzzi’s a good OHL forward. Logan Morrison’s a mid-round pick in the 2020 NHL draft. They recently added import and projected 2020 first-round pick Jan Mysak to the mix. But after Coyotes prospect Jan Jenik’s season came to an end at the world juniors, Kaliyev stood on a bit of an island skill-wise in Hamilton. And yet he just keeps producing. After an excellent showing at the world juniors where he worked his way into a more prominent role as the tournament progressed, Kaliyev hasn’t let up on the sub-.500 Bulldogs. His 0.77 goals per game ranks fourth in the OHL. His 98 points ranks fifth — and more than two-times Bertuzzi’s 47 in second-place on his team. He still needs to stop on pucks more. He still needs to show a little more effort on the backcheck. He still needs to cheat less offensively. But he showed at the world juniors that he wasn’t a liability without the puck, he has improved defensively in Hamilton this season, and, like Zegras, he’s got a star-level skill that gives him a first-round ceiling. I stand by where I ranked him a year ago. He should’ve gone in the teens and I suspect he’d go upwards of 10 spots higher in a re-draft.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Yep, they talked about it briefly on Spittin' Chiclets podcast last week. Sounds like there's starting to be talks of re-evaluating the rule but I doubt that happens soon enough for it to affect Kaliyev.

I've said this before, but I think every organization should be given one "exceptional status" player drafted out of the CHL that can play in the AHL at 18 or 19.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I've said this before, but I think every organization should be given one "exceptional status" player drafted out of the CHL that can play in the AHL at 18 or 19.

And the CHL would lose its 32 best players every year. Can you imagine the NHL without the 32 best players??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad