Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Odds we see Kaliyev start the season in LA after the WJC?
I think he has a shot if he turns up to camp in good physical condition and shows he’s worked on things. I only say that as I’ve seen nothing about what he’s been doing during the shutdown. I know quite a few of the prospects have been working balls out, so if he hasn’t done the same he would struggle at camp.

The shorter but more compact season means that there will likely be more rotation and I can see Byfield and Kaliyev getting 9 games over something like the first 12-15 contests before going back to junior. Obviously if they cement a spot all the better. Decisions need to be made to ensure they guys hit their ceilings and a cup of coffee at least may well help that.

Token

May 15, 2019
I think he has a shot if he turns up to camp in good physical condition and shows he’s worked on things. I only say that as I’ve seen nothing about what he’s been doing during the shutdown. I know quite a few of the prospects have been working balls out, so if he hasn’t done the same he would struggle at camp.

The shorter but more compact season means that there will likely be more rotation and I can see Byfield and Kaliyev getting 9 games over something like the first 12-15 contests before going back to junior. Obviously if they cement a spot all the better. Decisions need to be made to ensure they guys hit their ceilings and a cup of coffee at least may well help that.
The Legendary Bob, even in retirement, mentions a couple weeks back that Arty was in LA training.

Go figure, that man IS connected.

In the meantime our local beat reporters are interviewing Westy or speculating on who has better prospects.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I wonder how many prospects will be playing an every-other-game rotation with LA. Will we see Kaliyev and Byfield for nine games, but actually have them with the Kings for a month or so? As guys that "don't have a ton left to prove" in the OHL, and with such a strange year already anyway, would it be an issue?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I wonder how many prospects will be playing an every-other-game rotation with LA. Will we see Kaliyev and Byfield for nine games, but actually have them with the Kings for a month or so? As guys that "don't have a ton left to prove" in the OHL, and with such a strange year already anyway, would it be an issue?

I don't think it would be much of an issue. They're not going to get a full season of game time in the OHL either way, wouldn't be the worst thing to have them training in LA with our staff for an extended period.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
So what's the fine for contact in the OHL under those conditions? How can it be enforced? Will the players even give a f*** about the rule?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
And this is exactly why even months ago I was thinking that it might be a better thing for our top prospects to stay in LA rather than go back to their junior teams. We didn't know what kind of cockamamie bubble or contingencies they be putting in at such a low level. Now we're starting to see it. And I don't see how it benefits these players to basically play scrimmages without contact.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
The Twitter mob shows up at our house and throws kiwis at you.
Shaming via hairy fruit

Pfff, I probably goad the Twitter mob to throw fruit at me then. Take the good ones and make it into a smoothie or something.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I've never seen a hockey game where players have to be six feet apart. Every player playin with a longer stick. Too funny. Oh wells flag hockey it is.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He reminds me of a bigger Cammalleri. Good shot and finishing ability. Underrated playmaking skills. Not great skaters. Both seem to always find themselves in the right place at the right time in the offensive zone.

Both 2nd round picks also.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Does this make a dumb idea better, or worse?
Personally, I don’t like the potential rule change. The Ontario government’s logic is that because of the number of Covid cases in the QMJHL, eliminating body checking and fighting will reduce risk in the OHL. Meanwhile Covid has mainly affected teams in Quebec where pretty much the entire province is a hot spot. All games in that province have been postponed for a couple weeks but QMJHL games in New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia have still gone on as scheduled. In Ontario, aside from Toronto and surrounding area and Ottawa, Ontario isn’t nearly as bad as Quebec, so I don’t see outlawing body contact solving the problem. The teams in the OHL mainly affected by Covid in their communities (off the top of my head) would mostly be Mississauaga and Ottawa, and then to a medium extent: Oshawa, Hamilton, Guelph, and Barrie. 6 of 20 OHL teams in those regions.

Reactions: KINGS17

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Shoutout to Kaliyev for being clutch and getting USA to the gold medal game and also doing the little things and being more physical. He seems to be rounding out aspects of his game and was an awesome wing for Turcotte, hoping more chemistry develops between them.

Kind of a cool video posted of him at age 6 practicing his shot:

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
Shoutout to Kaliyev for being clutch and getting USA to the gold medal game and also doing the little things and being more physical. He seems to be rounding out aspects of his game and was an awesome wing for Turcotte, hoping more chemistry develops between them.

[sarc]
You can already see the poor skating and laziness... wasted draft pick
[/sarc]

Token

May 15, 2019
[sarc]
You can already see the poor skating and laziness... wasted draft pick
[/sarc]
You joke about that but with how he improved from the first two games to the final two games ... I’m pretty sure this is all just conditioning.

He was completely transformed.

I’m sure he will pay The Iron Price once Wrobo gets his hands on him.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

I don't know guys, he seems to shoot the punk into the center of the net a lot. :sarcasm: Needs to try for the corners and the 5 hole more often.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You joke about that but with how he improved from the first two games to the final two games ... I’m pretty sure this is all just conditioning.

He was completely transformed.

I’m sure he will pay The Iron Price once Wrobo gets his hands on him.

Was gonna say it bodes really well that his best, most complete games were the high-intensity, high-stakes, 'pro' style games in the medal round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad