Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
As I said before and during the draft Kaliyev given the chance will be a true superstar in the NHL one day. Happy to see him living up to the hype. We stole him in the 2nd. Getting he and Fagmo was incredible. Our best draft in years.
Watched Kaliyev's Hamilton BullDogs vs Oshawa Generals. Kaliyev had a goal but he looked sluggish. His passes weren't great and he had a few scoring opportunities where maybe he should have passed off. Defensively he needs work and his strength also needs work. Thought with another great offensive season from him,he'd be ready for LA...maybe in 2-3 years time at best

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Maybe we should trade Arty to Chicago for Kubalik.
At this point the Kings don't have anyone the Black Hawks would want for Kubalik...perhaps a deal involving many moving pieces and Kopitar...Blake shit the bed...Kubalik is going to be a Star!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah hopefully Mysak arrives soon. The Bulldogs haven’t made an official announcement yet but Bob McKenzie and Allan Walsh (a player agent) have both tweeted that he’s coming. I assume they’re waiting on his visa to come play.

Mysak will be an interesting one. To start, I assume he’ll be on the 2nd line but once he adjusts to the NA ice, he will probably be up with Kaliyev.
Kaliyev and Mysak don't work well together. Kaliyev struggles to keep up and isn't much of a playmaker

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Watched Kaliyev's Hamilton BullDogs vs Oshawa Generals. Kaliyev had a goal but he looked sluggish. His passes weren't great and he had a few scoring opportunities where maybe he should have passed off. Defensively he needs work and his strength also needs work. Thought with another great offensive season from him,he'd be ready for LA...maybe in 2-3 years time at best
Watching a single game is a small sample to assess and form a conclusion.

I agree with him being a few years from NHL though. He would benefit from playing in the AHL, which he’s still a year and a half away from being eligible.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I've read more than once that Kaliyev is underrated as a play-maker - badly underrated in your case.
Kaliyev dreams of being Kovalev...If Kaliyev doesn't shed 15-20 of fat and turn it into muscle he will never see the NHL regardless of his scoring exploits in the OHL

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kaliyev dreams of being Kovalev...If Kaliyev doesn't shed 15-20 of fat and turn it into muscle he will never see the NHL regardless of his scoring exploits in the OHL

Wow, stout assessment considering you watched his one game and came to that conclusion. Impressed they gave you his medical records to go along with your xray vision.

PS fitness is the least of my concerns, talk about the easiest thing to work on

Reactions: ibleedkings

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Kaliyev will likely be more like Thomas Vanek, not Kovalev. They have completely different games. Kaliyev is a shooter--great hands in close and around the paint. He's a true sniper. Kovalev was a pure electric wizard who could stickhandle through all five players on the ice if he wanted to. Kaliyev is not really similar to him at all--other than his last name starting with the letter "K"

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Wow, stout assessment considering you watched his one game and came to that conclusion. Impressed they gave you his medical records to go along with your xray vision.

PS fitness is the least of my concerns, talk about the easiest thing to work on
He doesn't look to have much drive...but I'll keep watching and see how that develops

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Kaliyev is a kid I have seen live close to 15 times and numerous other times on TV this season (our local cable station picks up all the games, road and home). His game is coming along nicely. His offensive game is already there and to be honest, I don’t focus much on it when he’s on the ice. We all know what he can do when he has the puck on that end of the ice.

I’m looking at what he’s doing off the puck, especially in the defensive and neutral zones. He still has work to do like any kid his age, but you can see the progression as the season has gone on.

I would like to see him be a bit more aggressive. He’s a big body out there and can use that frame to his advantage.

To me, he’s not ready for a full time role in the NHL next year. Another year in the O is fine. There really is no need to rush him.

The Bulldogs have a good coaching staff and run a solid program here. Coming back will do nothing but continue to help him grow and prepare for his transition to the pros.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Nothing wrong letting a second round pick with high end offense and a lot of deficiencies away from the puck have time to work on his game before pushing him into the NHL.

our pipeline is stacked and not counting this draft will be pushing rookies into the lineup often over the next few years. Some are getting a minor taste already.

20-21 - legit shots

Vilardi
bjornfot
Clague
Peterson
Grundstrom

21-22 - legit shots

Turcotte
Bjornfot - if not ready next year
JAD
Anderson

22-23 - legit shots

Kaliyev
Fagemo
etc

We can dump six rookies into a lineup every year and expect it to work. Kaliyev has always been a boom or bust prospect. A little extra time working on his game to help ensure the boom part is not a bad thing.

The prospects I listed above are just prospects I think will make the NHL and the approximate time I think they will make it. A couple of these guys may never make it and we may have a couple others that will. I am just saying that there are certain prospects that can jump into the NHL and there’s others that need time before they do, and there is nothing wrong with that

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kaliyev will likely be more like Thomas Vanek, not Kovalev. They have completely different games. Kaliyev is a shooter--great hands in close and around the paint. He's a true sniper. Kovalev was a pure electric wizard who could stickhandle through all five players on the ice if he wanted to. Kaliyev is not really similar to him at all--other than his last name starting with the letter "K"

Lies!

They also both end in 'ev' ;)

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Kaliyev is a kid I have seen live close to 15 times and numerous other times on TV this season (our local cable station picks up all the games, road and home). His game is coming along nicely. His offensive game is already there and to be honest, I don’t focus much on it when he’s on the ice. We all know what he can do when he has the puck on that end of the ice.

I’m looking at what he’s doing off the puck, especially in the defensive and neutral zones. He still has work to do like any kid his age, but you can see the progression as the season has gone on.

I would like to see him be a bit more aggressive. He’s a big body out there and can use that frame to his advantage.

To me, he’s not ready for a full time role in the NHL next year. Another year in the O is fine. There really is no need to rush him.

The Bulldogs have a good coaching staff and run a solid program here. Coming back will do nothing but continue to help him grow and prepare for his transition to the pros.
Don't see Kaliyev back in the OHL. He has out-grown the league and needs to move on...being that he's born American and is Russian,the LA Kings will have him in Ontario. He's going to Struggle but hopefully he turns out to be half as good as people want him to be...He needs a centre that will feed him the puck.Unfortunately the Kings have designs to move him to move to the LWing which is not good...but he can play RWing on PP if he can get to that level

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If the Kings draft Lafreniere I'd be happy to have Kaliyev stay another year in the OHL. But with our luck that won't happen and I would like to see how he does in the NHL next year. Now I'm not advocating having him up the whole season. Give him his 9 games and see how he reacts. If he can't hack it then no harm no foul and send him back. I think with where this team is at currently you need to see what you have in certain players like Kaliyev

Reactions: funky

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
Don't see Kaliyev back in the OHL. He has out-grown the league and needs to move on...being that he's born American and is Russian,the LA Kings will have him in Ontario. He's going to Struggle but hopefully he turns out to be half as good as people want him to be...He needs a centre that will feed him the puck.Unfortunately the Kings have designs to move him to move to the LWing which is not good...but he can play RWing on PP if he can get to that level

Doesn't matter where he was born or what what his citizenship is. He was drafted out of the OHL, so therefore he us not eligible for the AHL next year.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Nothing wrong letting a second round pick with high end offense and a lot of deficiencies away from the puck have time to work on his game before pushing him into the NHL.

our pipeline is stacked and not counting this draft will be pushing rookies into the lineup often over the next few years. Some are getting a minor taste already.

20-21 - legit shots

Vilardi
bjornfot
Clague
Peterson
Grundstrom

21-22 - legit shots

Turcotte
Bjornfot - if not ready next year
JAD
Anderson

22-23 - legit shots

Kaliyev
Fagemo
etc

We can dump six rookies into a lineup every year and expect it to work. Kaliyev has always been a boom or bust prospect. A little extra time working on his game to help ensure the boom part is not a bad thing.

The prospects I listed above are just prospects I think will make the NHL and the approximate time I think they will make it. A couple of these guys may never make it and we may have a couple others that will. I am just saying that there are certain prospects that can jump into the NHL and there’s others that need time before they do, and there is nothing wrong with that

With the way the NHL is evolving honestly I expect Fagemo and Kaliyev in the NHL next year or the following year . Look at Suzuki , Necas etc .... it’s diff now we should let our kids play too that’s how you turn a franchise around quicker

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
With the way the NHL is evolving honestly I expect Fagemo and Kaliyev in the NHL next year or the following year . Look at Suzuki , Necas etc .... it’s diff now we should let our kids play too that’s how you turn a franchise around quicker

only if they are ready. A lot of warts on Kaliyev. We had a somewhat similar player in Kovy this year. Amazing shot, crap Defence and look how that worked out. No need to rush kids at this point. I have no problem putting a fresh draft pick in the lineup if they are ready and it won’t stunt them but not when they have glaring weakness in junior let alone the NHL

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad