Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
And the CHL would lose its 32 best players every year. Can you imagine the NHL without the 32 best players??
So? The CHL has a primary responsibility to produce the best players possible and the rules need to reflect that. Having rules that hold back a players development is completely unacceptable.

That said I don’t think think you could justify 32 each season as ‘exceptional’, one for each team is to simplistic.They’d need to come up with a more nuanced way of determining what the definition of ‘exceptional’ is. There will potentially be situations where NHL teams have more than one of the top 10 CHL players and they should not be held back because their NHL team has drafted well.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The rule change that seems the most logical to me would be to let players move up and down through the CHL/AHL/NHL once they’re older than 18 and signed to an NHL contract. You can adjust the pay rules to keep the effective status quo and limit total contracts to keep it from making a massive change overnight.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
And the CHL would lose its 32 best players every year. Can you imagine the NHL without the 32 best players??

A lot of those guys would be playing in the NHL anyway, but are overwhelmed at 18 and would better served playing in the AHL than scoring 120 points in 56 games in the CHL. The only downside I can see is teams will occasionally lose multiple players in one year, take Halifax in 2013 for example, Mackinnon went straight to the NHL and Drouin probably would've been one of these players.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
So? The CHL has a primary responsibility to produce the best players possible and the rules need to reflect that. Having rules that hold back a players development is completely unacceptable.

That said I don’t think think you could justify 32 each season as ‘exceptional’, one for each team is to simplistic.They’d need to come up with a more nuanced way of determining what the definition of ‘exceptional’ is. There will potentially be situations where NHL teams have more than one of the top 10 CHL players and they should not be held back because their NHL team has drafted well.

And now that you’ve pulled an additional 32 players a year out, the league is significantly worse and probably isn’t nearly as good a development league. Can you imagine playing on Hamilton this year with kaliyev and Jan (the ari prospect) the team would have had like 1 mid level NHL prospect. And the euro they added midseason probably doesn’t come over cause the team is absolute trash.

To add to that, who is going to pay to watch that team? OHL is now going to be losing all their players that sell tickets, good luck keeping all these teams afloat for a product that is barely above USHL quality.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
What about having a rule that between the CHL/AHL; that the AHL can only have (3) 18 or 19 year olds with CHL eligibility on their roster per season. *I would want the number at 5 but that might be too much talent out of the CHL*

That will make it better on both leagues and players that are to developed for the CHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricardfromage

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What about having a rule that between the CHL/AHL; that the AHL can only have (3) 18 or 19 year olds with CHL eligibility on their roster per season. *I would want the number at 5 but that might be too much talent out of the CHL*

That will make it better on both leagues and players that are to developed for the CHL.

Still, whether it's 1 per team or 3, the argument would be that the AHL is taking the premier talent from the CHL, removing people's incentives to watch.

Not that I'm fighting on their behalf by any means, I think it's important to do whatever is best for the player's future, but from the CHL standpoint, I'd be mad that my business loses money to an American business over it

it's a simple issue at face level but a lot of different dynamics at play

I get the idea though, some players should have 'exceptional status' for pro hockey

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Still, whether it's 1 per team or 3, the argument would be that the AHL is taking the premier talent from the CHL, removing people's incentives to watch.

Not that I'm fighting on their behalf by any means, I think it's important to do whatever is best for the player's future, but from the CHL standpoint, I'd be mad that my business loses money to an American business over it

it's a simple issue at face level but a lot of different dynamics at play

I get the idea though, some players should have 'exceptional status' for pro hockey

I mean I get it but I think the CHL would be better suited for the younger growing stars than the already drafted guys. But this is coming from a SoCal resident that doesn't get much into the CHL other than watching some upcoming draft prospects. I know its on a whole different level in Canada. It's like NCAA football and Basketball here in the states.

But just like the NCAA; I think the only true people that get screwed are the athletes.

Edit: I don't think the CHL will have any problems getting fans to watch. They are the premier market for their sport. The fans will show up no matter the talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Who will score more NHL goals ......Kaliyev or Stützle...???

Thanks!!!
Considering Kaliyev is a goal scorer with shot that is better than most players in the NHL today, and Stutzle is a playmaker who was shooting at 5.3%, its not that hard to assume Kaliyev will score more goals if they both make it. Just like how Stutzle will probably have more assists than Kaliyev.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
IF Kaliyev can stick in the NHL and isn't just, say, Brandon Pirri, there's no question he will score a LOT more goals than Stutzle.

But I'd say he has a pretty medium bust chance even as a guy who really believes in him whereas Stutzle is damn near guaranteed to be in the NHL his whole career.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
IF Kaliyev can stick in the NHL and isn't just, say, Brandon Pirri, there's no question he will score a LOT more goals than Stutzle.

But I'd say he has a pretty medium bust chance even as a guy who really believes in him whereas Stutzle is damn near guaranteed to be in the NHL his whole career.
I agree, If he sticks he will be a dangerous scorer. They are very different types of players and an inappropriate comparison. However, Kaliyev is a guy that if he sticks will be top 5 in a redraft and if not will be seen as a bad 2nd round pick. Personally I think he makes it, he’s the guy I want to break through more than all our other prospects because if he does it is a game changer.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Would anybody here entertain the notion of trading Kaliyev for Stützle? Would Ottawa?

Thanks!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad