Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For Kaliyev still not enough! :DD

I'm certain that Basilisk will come up with a fair and sensible offered that won't be ridiculed by everyone.

No player selected in the second round the year prior from the upcoming draft has been dealt for a top three pick, but I guess the Kings could accomplish that. Not sure why he set his sights so low for the 3rd pick though. They should go for the #1 pick by tossing in Matt Villalta and Mikey Eyssimont.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So, you're saying Ottawa would have to add?!

I don't know if you we're serious but I was only kidding. If I was Ottawa I wouldn't do that trade although Kaliyev is a nice prospect no way Ottawa trades the 3OA for Kaliyev.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
It's really not that crazy of a trade in terms of value. I'm guessing after the draft, Stutzle will be ranked somewhere around the 7th best prospect in the world and Kaliyev will be around the 13th. But yeah that's just my guess, who knows how people will actually rank them.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Not alot of news for Kaliyev recently. He needs to play this year for his development, is staying with the Kings a better option for him? Don't think he is eligible for the AHL. What else can he prove in a potential non contact OHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not alot of news for Kaliyev recently. He needs to play this year for his development, is staying with the Kings a better option for him? Don't think he is eligible for the AHL. What else can he prove in a potential non contact OHL.

He's in developmental no-man's land unfortunately. Might be better to develop a bit with the Kings but he's ticketed for juniors, can only hope he gets traded to a contender after the WJC

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Hopefully he has channeled his inner Ivan Drago over the Covid off season and taken his dry land training to another level. The guy has one of the deadliest shots outside the NHL. If he can get onboard with the fitness portion to help his endurance, skating and two way game he could be a force.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
A lot of those guys would be playing in the NHL anyway, but are overwhelmed at 18 and would better served playing in the AHL than scoring 120 points in 56 games in the CHL. The only downside I can see is teams will occasionally lose multiple players in one year, take Halifax in 2013 for example, Mackinnon went straight to the NHL and Drouin probably would've been one of these players.
The AHL is a pretty rough league for an 18-year old. There are a lot of 25-30 year old players who don't mind wrecking a young guy with a body check.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He's in developmental no-man's land unfortunately. Might be better to develop a bit with the Kings but he's ticketed for juniors, can only hope he gets traded to a contender after the WJC

Maybe we'll see a Laferriere - Turcotte - Kaliyev top line for team USA.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
"If Arthur Kaliyev is going to be an impactful NHL player, it will mainly be due to his ability to score goals. So far throughout his young career, he has been able to do it at just about every level. He did it in the OHL against where he produced better against stronger competition. He did it in the 2019 CHL Top Prospects Game where he scored two goals and an assist. Kaliyev did it at the 2020 World Junior Championship where he scored four goals and two assists for six points in five games (in a somewhat limited role too). He even scored in Kings rookie camp scrimmages against the Anaheim Ducks last year."

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It will boil down to how hard he will work on defense.

It's true. The good news is, for him at least, is that the coach is not Darryl Sutter...it is Todd MacLellan. And even Sutter let Toffoli play, I can see Kaliyev being an even more lethal goal scorer (maybe not as good of a playmaker) than Toffoli.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
It's true. The good news is, for him at least, is that the coach is not Darryl Sutter...it is Todd MacLellan. And even Sutter let Toffoli play, I can see Kaliyev being an even more lethal goal scorer (maybe not as good of a playmaker) than Toffoli.
All reports are his playmaking is very underrated. His assist totals and passing ability are excellent.

Reactions: Rorschach and Token

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
All reports are his playmaking is very underrated. His assist totals and passing ability are excellent.

Yeah by all accounts that's why he's so effective offensively, he's not a one trick pony. Can beat you with a lethal shot OR make you overcommit and make a great pass.

I really do think the Vanek comparison is spot on.

Token

May 15, 2019
Arty Party is one of the few prospects we actually did see in camp and we watched him play some games.

Don’t know about all y’all, but I watched them games and immediately threw out all the pundit garbage about this kid. They are all FOS!

Kid was not lazy and coasting.
He hustled and played the full ice.
He passed the puck like a champ.
He scored!

Yes, he was 18 and there is room to grow on the 200-foot game.
Yes, he skates funny, has room to improve there, but he gets to the spots that matter most - near the blue paint.

I just love it, how terrible he is, all those warts in his game, and I’m gonna laugh so hard when he pots his first 30, 40, 50 goal seasons in the NHL.

Im waiting for him to land a better number in a year or two then I’m getting that third retro sweater.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Yes, I've seen him both pass and score in his highlights and other vids. When Toffoli came up, he had an artificial "playmaking advantage" because he came up with Tanner Pearson, his fellow That 70's Line linemate and they both played a long time together in the AHL on the same line as well. So both of them had exceptionally smooth playmaking due to experience that others won't usually have. Sutter added a fast, strong, playmaking 40-goal scorer to them in Jeff Carter...no wonder the line clicked offensively so quickly and spectacularly.

I fully expect Kaliyev, my boy, to be good. But I don't expect him to be anywhere as good as Toffoli/Pearson good right off the bat.

On a tangent...just more proof against the BS about Kaliyev's "flawed game/one trick pony" label. He has totals, as you mention, that show he can pass just fine and be a good, offensive linemate overall, not just snipe.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Arty Party is one of the few prospects we actually did see in camp and we watched him play some games.

Don’t know about all y’all, but I watched them games and immediately threw out all the pundit garbage about this kid. They are all FOS!

He scored!

Yes, he skates funny, has room to improve there, but he gets to the spots that matter most - near the blue paint.

I just love it, how terrible he is, all those warts in his game, and I’m gonna laugh so hard when he pots his first 30, 40, 50 goal seasons in the NHL.

Im waiting for him to land a better number in a year or two then I’m getting that third retro sweater.

Kaliyev seemed to get the Byfield treatment where everyone was looking for flaws in his game, rather than the elite abilities he has.

For someone who constantly had questions brought up about his skating, not many looked into it

Kaliyev was a top-three performer in three skating categories - first in transition agility, second in weave agility with the puck, and third in backward skating - at a January showcase event for players in the Canadian junior leagues, perhaps hinting that the pace-of-play problem is overblown.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kaliyev seemed to get the Byfield treatment where everyone was looking for flaws in his game, rather than the elite abilities he has.

For someone who constantly had questions brought up about his skating, not many looked into it

He scored!

He's not a burner by any means but yeah, it seems like there were a lot of manufactured complaints. Remember when people were even rumoring he was actually older than he is? :laugh:

I don't think he'll ever be a huge defensive stopper but even TT used his brain there, I think most of the complaints in juniors probably stem from him playing so many minutes and being asked to shoulder the entire offensive load.

And it truly seems like most of the complaints about his skating come down to his ugly stride and that's it.

Even at the WJC he was engaged, locked in, and looked great with better talent. He wasn't a liability at all. Excited to see what our development staff can do with him!

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Everytime I see Kaliyev, the first player I think of is Patrick Sharp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->