Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
only if they are ready. A lot of warts on Kaliyev. We had a somewhat similar player in Kovy this year. Amazing shot, crap Defence and look how that worked out. No need to rush kids at this point. I have no problem putting a fresh draft pick in the lineup if they are ready and it won’t stunt them but not when they have glaring weakness in junior let alone the NHL

I want him to get a 9 game taste next year. That will give him a better idea of where he needs to improve his game.

From what I've read in articles about him, his coaches and scouts have said that he is showing growth and improvement in his areas of weakness, which is encouraging.

I'm hoping he puts in a lot of work this summer and then blows the doors off in training camp, but if not there is nothing wrong with letting him marinate for another season.

Reactions: funky

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I wanted the Flyers to move up and take him late in the first round if possible.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
only if they are ready. A lot of warts on Kaliyev. We had a somewhat similar player in Kovy this year. Amazing shot, crap Defence and look how that worked out. No need to rush kids at this point. I have no problem putting a fresh draft pick in the lineup if they are ready and it won’t stunt them but not when they have glaring weakness in junior let alone the NHL

if they have glaring weaknesses yes I agree but depends I think what the weakness is and if it will be better for them to develop in the NHL or minor league . Fagemo though I expect to make the team by next years end , if he comes over . I’m hoping he’s our Filip Forsberg

Reactions: funky

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Doesn't matter where he was born or what what his citizenship is. He was drafted out of the OHL, so therefore he us not eligible for the AHL next year.
There is a bevy of US born players that were drafted out of the OHL that NHL clubs turned pro at 19...so...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Watching a single game is a small sample to assess and form a conclusion.

I agree with him being a few years from NHL though. He would benefit from playing in the AHL, which he’s still a year and a half away from being eligible.
Nope,you are wrong! Kaliyev can turn pro next year

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Please don't compare a legend to a player that may never make it...and Kovy could fly and unleash a blistering shot Kaliyev will never have

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sure, he can play pro in the NHL next season...he can play NHL or OHL next year, but is not eligible for AHL until the beginning of the season of which the year he turns 20. He turns 20 in June 2021, and therefore is eligible for AHL for the 2021-22 season.

In the meantime, he can only temporarily play in the AHL playoffs if the Ontario Reign are still in the playoffs once his OHL season (including playoffs) is finished.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You only have to be 18 to play in the AHL. But the NHL/CHL agreement prohibits 18 and 19 year old players from playing in the AHL during the regular season while their CHL team is still playing during the year. They can join thier AHL affiliate after their CHL regular season and any playoff games are completed in their 18 and 19 year old seasons. If Kaliyev's team is done, he can join the Reign for any remaining AHL games this year and the Calder Cup playoffs if they make it. I'm the 3rd person now to tell you that have are not correct.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Please don't compare a legend to a player that may never make it...and Kovy could fly and unleash a blistering shot Kaliyev will never have

Wow, go watch Kaliyev play more than 1 game. Type his name into the google and watch him blister shot after shot past numerous goalies.

then re-read what I wrote. I didn’t compare him to prime Kovy, I compared him to our Kovy who did not have a great deal of speed. I know you need to piss on everyone’s parade, but maybe give a kid at least a year before you write him off. Many of experts are very high on him.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Wow, go watch Kaliyev play more than 1 game. Type his name into the google and watch him blister shot after shot past numerous goalies.

then re-read what I wrote. I didn’t compare him to prime Kovy, I compared him to our Kovy who did not have a great deal of speed. I know you need to piss on everyone’s parade, but maybe give a kid at least a year before you write him off. Many of experts are very high on him.
Kaliyev is a long ways off. He needs a playmaker...he's a finisher who's a floater and is Fat!And can't pass worth his life!I'm not writing him off just came away really disappointed...and yes one game does make a season...I guess we will wait and see

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
You only have to be 18 to play in the AHL. But the NHL/CHL agreement prohibits 18 and 19 year old players from playing in the AHL during the regular season while their CHL team is still playing during the year. They can join thier AHL affiliate after their CHL regular season and any playoff games are completed in their 18 and 19 year old seasons. If Kaliyev's team is done, he can join the Reign for any remaining AHL games this year and the Calder Cup playoffs if they make it. I'm the 3rd person now to tell you that have are not correct.
Nope...Columbus turned Sonny Milano pro at 19 and he played a full season...there are other cases just pointing out one for you

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Nope...Columbus turned Sonny Milano pro at 19 and he played a full season...there are other cases just pointing out one for you

You completely ignored the different circumstance which applies to Milano, as usual.

Kaliyev is not eligible for the AHL next year until the season of the CHL team who owns his rights ends.

Name ONE player who was drafted in the NHL draft out of the CHL, as Kaliyev was, who played a full season in the AHL at the age of 19.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just to add, since some seem interested in spreading misinformation, here's an article which helps discuss it further:

Understanding NHL Prospect Rules is a Sport in Itself

Junior players eligible for AHL next season:
Akil Thomas
Aidan Dudas
Lukas Parik (as he was drafted out of Europe)
Markus Phillips (not eligible for juniors next season)
Jacob Ingham (if he signs a contract)

Any of the players listed above would join the group listed below if they are assigned to juniors.

Junior players NOT eligible for the AHL next season until their junior team's season ends:
Arthur Kaliyev
Jordan Spence

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You are something else. Kings Pawn tells you why (this specific situation applies to Milano, which enabled him to play at 19 for a full season, which is not relevant to the CHL/NHL agreement), you don't seem to understand and keep telling everyone else they are wrong. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO KALIYEV. HE CANNOT PLAY IN THE AHL NEXT SEASON, except to join the team at the end of the year.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
Kaliyeh kind of reminds of a little of Ryan Smith. Kali has that awkward skating and is great at keeping the play in front of him with those chip passes that Smith was good at. At times Kali can look average, but has lot of moments where he will stand out (similar to Smyth). I don't see Kaliyeh being a front net presence like Ryan, but Kali has a better shot than Ryan. If the kid keeps putting in the work, he is going to be hard to contain with likes of Vilardi or even Turcotte, since those boys can distribute the puck very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad