Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost has the speed, and flashes it, but he doesn't use it on a regular basis - he's too controlled right now, needs to become more selfish (which is ok, easier to teach a young player to be a bit selfish than to teach a selfish player to rein it in) and use his speed to attack the defense and fire away instead of always trying to set up plays - that will make him less predictable. One sequence which demonstrates this was when he dipsy doodled through the defense, got within 10 feet of the goal, then lost the puck trying to hold it to make a play instead of just firing away.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Have told told guys in the past that that they don't want hockey players jacked in the upper body any more . Was talking with a physical trainer for hockey players and he mentioned about carrying extra lbs above the belly button affecting center of balance , skating stride and agility . So once again you need them strong not jacked and heavy upper body wise .

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
generate.php

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Have told told guys in the past that that they don't want hockey players jacked in the upper body any more . Was talking with a physical trainer for hockey players and he mentioned about carrying extra lbs above the belly button affecting center of balance , skating stride and agility . So once again you need them strong not jacked and heavy upper body wise .

A good trainer builds up a player in a balanced fashion, this isn't football (or at least linemen, WRs have to maintain speed and agility as well).
A lot of it comes down to natural strength, Farabee is a few lbs lighter at 18 (168 to 172) but stronger than Frost, for example.
But if Ratcliffe tried to play at 6'6 200, he'd have a lot more problems than someone like NAK at 5'11 205 along the boards.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
A lot of theories that the rise in injuries in pro sports has a lot to do with players getting too big & muscular for their frames. I didn’t get to watch the showcase, but considering Frost’s pretty rapid weight gain over the last couple of months, it’s worth wondering if he is still adjusting to it maybe was not quite as quick. Just a thought. Could just be the better competition. He wasn’t as dominant in the OHL playoffs, either.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I doubt he has much more growing left height-wise. He’ll be 19 in 6 months.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Interesting episode of Snow the Goalie podcast this week. Anthony SanFillipo was saying that he was speaking to someone from inside the Flyers organization recently and they gave him some very interesting information
  1. JVR was actually the Flyers Plan “B”. Apparently they put an offer in for Paul Stastny but he turned it down. The deal was apparently for more money than he got from Vegas but it was a shorter term.
  2. The Flyers feel that Isaac Ratcliffe is closer to being NHL ready than Morgan Frost
  3. They are also more excited about the Jay O’Brian pick than the Joel Farabee pick. They think the really got someone special in JOB.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never said he was better just hes got a better chance of making the flyers. People in the organization believe so too and whats wrong with that.
But a day or two ago you said you don’t like anything about Frosts game, didn’t you? I could've sworn you said you liked Ratcliffe better...

And I didn’t say there was anything wrong with that. You can like whoever you like. He was just asking if anyone liked Ratcliffe better and I thought you said you did.

Reactions: Rebels57

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
But a day or two ago you said you don’t like anything about Frosts game, didn’t you? I could've sworn you said you liked Ratcliffe better...

And I didn’t say there was anything wrong with that. You can like whoever you like. He was just asking if anyone liked Ratcliffe better and I thought you said you did.
Never said I liked ratcliffe better but I did say I didnt like frosts game right now but I hope he gets better. he should have stood out this past weekend and didnt but as long as he stands out for the flyers thats all that matters. Flyers org thinks Ratcliffe has a better chance at making the big team not me LOL.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never said I liked ratcliffe better but I did say I didnt like frosts game right now but I hope he gets better. he should have stood out this past weekend and didnt but as long as he stands out for the flyers thats all that matters. Flyers org thinks Ratcliffe has a better chance at making the big team not me LOL.
Ahh ok then. My mistake.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd be surprised if either Frost or Ratcliffe made the team this year, I'd be suprised if one didn't make it next year, and if both aren't starting by 2020-21.
Same way Farabee and O'Brien are unlikely to make the Flyers before 2020-21, not because they lack the talent, but the depth has reached the point where Ron feels no urgency to rush young players and have them play 10 minutes a night.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'd be surprised if either Frost or Ratcliffe made the team this year, I'd be suprised if one didn't make it next year, and if both aren't starting by 2020-21.
Same way Farabee and O'Brien are unlikely to make the Flyers before 2020-21, not because they lack the talent, but the depth has reached the point where Ron feels no urgency to rush young players and have them play 10 minutes a night.
Frost had a terrible camp but the rest played good hockey. Hopefully frost has another gear somewhere to make the team come xmas. Farabee and O'Brien have that willing to hit or be hit and skate wide open all night long and I'm impressed with those two. O'Brien never played against competition like that and stood out coming from a high school joke type game.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Frost had a terrible camp but the rest played good hockey. Hopefully frost has another gear somewhere to make the team come xmas. Farabee and O'Brien have that willing to hit or be hit and skate wide open all night long and I'm impressed with those two. O'Brien never played against competition like that and stood out coming from a high school joke type game.

Did Frost have a bad camp? I didn’t attend, so I can’t say personally whether he did or didn’t, but the link below suggests that he had a good development camp.

Five stars of Flyers development camp

Can someone confirm whether whether he did or didn’t?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost had a good camp, but bad showing at the J20 showcase.

He has another month to get into shape for TC, needs to focus less on adding weight and more on functional strength and explosion in his skating - you can't hurry weight gain, you just need to maximize where your body is at present, if he's not ready to carry 180 lbs, bulking up that much will merely slow him down.

That's a good reason for Farabee to spend two years in college, that'll give him time to gradually fill out, at 6'1 190 or so he'd be NHL size for 2020-21. I think O'Brien will get there physically faster than Farabee, but because he played HS instead of USHL, could use that second season to polish his fundamentals.

Reactions: hatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad