Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Joel Farabee
Quote: Farabee will play at Boston U. Very good two-way player, Sam Carchidi (Twitter).

Joel Farabee, LW: Farabee is a 200-foot player that brings skill, smarts and instincts to the wing. He's a good skater with nice finishing ability. He'll need to get stronger, but he's got potential to be a very good all-around player. (Pete Blackburn, CBS Sports)

Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Left
Born: Feb 25, 2000, Cicero, NY (USA)
Height: 6'0"
Weight:164 pounds
Joel Farabee hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
[TR][TH]SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-
2016-17U.S. National Under-18 TeamUSHL1045945
2016-17U.S. National Under-17 TeamUSHL20861418-5
2017-18U.S. National Under-18 TeamUSHL261525401826
[TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]
[TBODY][TR][TH]--------------------------------------------------------------------------
20160901-673B0831.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cicero's Joel Farabee taken by Philadelphia Flyers in first round of the NHL draft[/TH][/TR][/TBODY]
[TBODY][TR][TH]
Dallas -- The Philadelphia Flyers took Cicero's Joel Farabee in the first round of the NHL draft on Friday night.

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall called Farabee's name at the No. 14 pick overall in the selection process, which was held in American Airlines Center in Dallas.

"It's awesome. I really don't even have any words right now, just kind of soaking it in,'' Farabee said in an interview on NBCSN. "I'm just honored to be part of their organization.''
Farabee, a left wing, was rated as the 12th-best North American skater available in the draft by NHL scouts. He spent the last two seasons playing for the National Team Development program in Michigan.

Farabee's scouting reports praised his competitiveness and hockey IQ. But at 6-foot, 165 pounds (the lightest player in the draft, according to NBCSN), he still needs to add some weight. That's one reason he's elected to put off his pro career and play next season at Boston University.
"I think the biggest thing for me growing up was just getting to college. I thought about that probably more than the NHL,'' Farabee said last week. "One step at a time.''

Source: https://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/ciceros_joel_farabee_nhl_draft.html

===================================

Cicero, N.Y. -- Joel Farabee tends to be cool in the big moments, and one of the biggest yet will barrel right at him on Friday night.

That's when the first round of the 2018 NHL Draft will be held in Dallas' American Airlines Center. Farabee will be in attendance, although he likely won't be seated for very long.

The 18-year-old winger from Cicero is projected to hear his name called early in the process, igniting a walk to his dream moment on the podium and a photo op with his first NHL jersey.
The moment calls for some anticipation, absolutely.
But nerves?

Get outta here.

"I don't think I'm really expecting too much. Whoever takes me, I'll be happy with,'' Farabee said. "It will be a really cool experience. Just kind of enjoy it. I think that's the biggest part.''

Right now, it looks like the most likely landing spots for Farabee are Dallas at No. 13 or Philadelphia at No. 14. Coming off a season in which he produced 27 goals and 37 assists for the U-18 squad in the U.S. National Team Development Program, NHL scouts have him ranked as the 12th-best North American skater in the draft.
TSN hockey guru Bob McKenzie has Farabee slotted as the 17th-best player overall in the draft.

"My knowledge is admittedly shaky-to-non-existent on a lot of the guys listed to 10-16, but Joel Farabee feels very under-rated at 17th overall,'' McKenzie wrote. "Comparing to some past drafts, I think he's a borderline top-10 talent, and if he does last that long, I think he'll eventually out-perform his draft position[/TH][/TR][/TBODY]​

[TBODY][TR][TH]https://www.syracuse.com/sports/ind...hear_name_called_early_in_2018_nhl_draft.html
--------------------------------------------------
DRAFT PROFILE: JOEL FARABEE

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=93307

Strong on hockey sense and skill, slight of build, USNTDP left winger Joel Farabee is both one of the more creative forwards with the puck on his stick and one of the most responsible without the puck in the 2018 NHL Draft class.

There is at least a 50-50 chance, possibly higher, that he will be off the board within the top 13 picks. If he's available with the 14th overall pick, he's a good candidate to be selected by the Flyers both on a best available player basis and it terms of a positional need on the organization's depth chart.

Although he stands between 5-foot-11 and 6-0 and weighed only 162 pounds (down from a high of 168) at the NHL Scouting Combine, Farabee plays a competitive game that is above his weight class. He is a threat off the rush and can make something out of nothing on broken plays. Farabee is an above-average skater with well-above average acceleration and somewhat above-average top speed.

Bound for Boston University next season, the native of Cicero, NY, is coming off an outstanding season for the USNTDP's U-18 Squad (Farabee turned 18 on Feb. 25) on a line with Jack Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom, of course, is a top 10 candidate for the 2018 Draft while Hughes is a very highly touted prospect for the 2019 Draft. Farabee was no passenger on the line, showing off a deft passing touch, excellent ice vision and a willingness to venture into the high-punishment, high-reward areas below and between the dots. Statistically, Farabee produced 70 points in 57 games.

Farabee is very good at controlling the pace of play. Like Flyers prospect Morgan Frost, Farabee
excels in controlled entries into the offensive zone. He likes to hit the attack zone with speed, and then slow the tempo near the half-boards to study his options and then make a quick decision. He works the give-and-go as well as almost any player in his Draft class. One on one, he also can put on a quick burst . When joined by a teammate, he keeps both the defense and goalie off-balance with a no-look pass or a deceptive shot. Although not an overpowering shooter, he's an accurate one. This season, Farabee scored quite a few goals from flat angles.

Quite a few of Wahlstrom's goals this year came on plays that were started by Farabee. He often drew defenders to him, creating a seam, and then his linemate would jump into the seams, receive a tape-to-tape pass and bury it in the back of the net.

When playing without the puck, Farabee takes good routes and consistently applies back pressure. When he's under pressure on the defensive boards, he can usually get the puck over the blueline to force an opponent to regroup. He also has the potential to become a shorthanded scoring threat at the NHL level if called up to kill penalties as well as a potential regular on the power play. Unlike many high-skill players, Farabee will sacrifice himself to block shots in the defensive zone.

Although he competes hard and is savvy in close-quarters battles, there are some limitations presented by Farabee's lack of size. He'll get outmuscled by more physically mature players and, in very tight checking games, can be neutralized offensively. These are things he (as well as Frost) will have to work through as he advances to playing against grown men. Added muscle would help considerably. Farabee's game is sufficiently complete that, if he is there at the 14th overall pick, the Flyers may take him. There's more to him than just the points, and he is capable of producing those at a healthy clip, too. If he were just a little bigger, he'd be a top 10 pick.​
[/TH][/TR][/TBODY]

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Solid pick. Really think his offense is going to take off. We know Hex likes smarts and he does. Can take the long college road to develop

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
what kind of player farabee is? giroux type or what?im gonna check lots of videos but...i wanna fast responds!

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He's a 2000 birthday and, even if he weren't, size is his only glaring limitation at the moment. Biologically speaking it's unlikely he won't grow more and, with professional regimine and training, size is never anything that worries me at all. Especially when it's a winger and guys like Kane are around the top of the scoring leaders.

I really like this pick. Probably a few years out, especially because he's going the college route, but I feel as confident about him reaching his long-term upside as I possibly could for a player picked at 14th.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Veleno still on the board at 19 so I am pumped. Hopefully Hextall got my texts and is picking him.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
We'll see, we can let him develop for a good while, good thing about having prospect depth

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
First guy picked from the national program since 2007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad