Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I suspect Fletcher doesn't want to decimate the Phantoms, and Farabee is one reason he wants the Phantoms in the Calder Cup.
Farabee is making it clear he's too good for college, and 10 or so games in the AHL playoffs would be perfect seasoning to push for a NHL job next year.
How many college freshman score > a ppg?

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
I suspect Fletcher doesn't want to decimate the Phantoms, and Farabee is one reason he wants the Phantoms in the Calder Cup.
Farabee is making it clear he's too good for college, and 10 or so games in the AHL playoffs would be perfect seasoning to push for a NHL job next year.
How many college freshman score > a ppg?

“True” 18 year old freshman....not these 21 year old freshman with 5 years in the USHL

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well apparently Fletcher can’t even see that Myers should be in the NHL right now, so don’t hold your breath on that one.

Somehow we ditch an overly-patient GM and end up with an even slower one. At least Hextalls dumb ass would’ve probably called Myers up when they only had 6 healthy D, like he did with Ghost and Sanheim. But nah, better to delay Myers or any young forward from getting NHL experience. It’s not as if a lost year is the perfect time to do it.

Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come. Otherwise Farabee might be finishing college.

I dont understand why these old f***s running NHL teams are so stupid?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Denis Smirnov had 47 points in 39 games as a freshman. Granted, he was 6 months older than Farabee.

Speaking of which, Smirnov's production has declined each of his next two college seasons. I don't think that'll be the case with Farabee.

Laczynski put up 32 points in 34 games as a freshman, but he was 8 months older than Farabee.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What makes Farabee's scoring more impressive is he's not one of these "defense is an afterthought" junior/college scorers who end up fighting their HC for a couple years when they're asked to back check and be responsible in the NHL.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Would love to see Farabee make the club, but I doubt the odds are in his fav. If he did make the team, I’d try to keep him and Frost away from each other until they prove they can handle the grind

JVR-Giroux-TK
Lindblom-Couts-Farabee
Frost-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-NAK

or

Giroux-Patrick-TK
JVR-Couts-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Voracek

or

Giroux-Couts-TK
JVR-Patrick-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Voracek

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think it all comes down to his body, that is, whether they think he can physically handle NHL play.
Farabee plays a physical game, goes to the net and fights for the puck along the boards, so he needs to be stronger than say Frost.
He was 168 at the combine, reportedly now up to 180, his brothers are full sized, so the genes are there.
The Flyers may want him to return to college for one more year after seeing him this summer to continue filling out.

Reactions: 04hockey

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
what would you guesstimate the probability is that he gets signed after this year? 5%, 25%, 50%??

It probably could go either way I’d imagine. BU is actually an older team despite being mediocre this year. So they’re probably going to lose some noteworthy players on their roster after this year.

He could just wait it out & stay another year as when he turns pro he’d very likely have a better chance of playing in the NHL then opposed to next year.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I think it's time we have a little talk about this kid. He might be forcing his way on to the team quicker than anticipated.

26 points his last 22 games(dating back to Dec 7).

Those are real stats. He's doing that on a team ranked 42nd in goals per game.

You might want to reconsider those back up plans for if Panarin doesn't sign here. Not many of them are worth blocking this guy. Adding him and Frost to the fold makes our top 9 pretty full.

P.S.

Thank you, Jori Lehtera.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think it's time we have a little talk about this kid. He might be forcing his way on to the team quicker than anticipated.

Those are real stats. He's doing that on a team ranked 42nd in goals per game.

You might want to reconsider those back up plans for if Panarin doesn't sign here. Not many of them are worth blocking this guy. Adding him and Frost to the fold makes our top 9 pretty full.

P.S.

Thank you, Jori Lehtera.

Unfortunately the guys with the power to actually put him on the roster can't be trusted to do so.

They wouldn't move Hagg or Mac to make room for Myers... so I doubt they move players much better than Hagg/Mac to make room for Farabee.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Unfortunately the guys with the power to actually put him on the roster can't be trusted to do so.

They wouldn't move Hagg or Mac to make room for Myers... so I doubt they move players much better than Hagg/Mac to make room for Farabee.

Fletcher is here now. He was thrown straight into the fire from left field. He did insert Myers and Hart. Hagg/Mac have had vastly diminished roles. I really can't complain about him. It was a circus when he arrived.

I recall a post (maybe Flyguy?) showing Fletcher's history of promoting young players. It is actually quite aggressive.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Fletcher is here now. He was thrown straight into the fire from left field. He did insert Myers and Hart. Hagg/Mac have had vastly diminished roles. I really can't complain about him. It was a circus when he arrived.

I recall a post (maybe Flyguy?) showing Fletcher's history of promoting young players. It is actually quite aggressive.

I would like to see Fletcher be a bit more quick on the ball but it seems like he's reaching reasonable conclusions. He hasn't done anything too stupid yet. He's an outsider and isn't the type of guy to come in and set the room on fire.

Most of his moves have been generally positive but don't move the needle. We will judge him on what he does this offseason.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

We’ll see. I’m just saying I wouldn’t bet on it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Fletcher 1st round picks in their D+2 seasons:

Granlund - I don't remember exactly why he didn't come over to NA (he signed his ELC late too) but he was good enough to play in NA at 19. I think he preferred to stay in Finland for another season.

Brodin - Came over to NA. Played the full lockout shortened season in the NHL.

Dumba - Cracked the NHL roster. Burned a year off of his ELC. Sent back to Junior for WJC.

Tuch - College. Wasn't good enough to make the jump.

Eriksson Ek - Started the year in the NHL. Burned a year off his ELC. Loaned back to Sweden a month later.

Kunin - Signed immediately after his D+1 season. Split his D+2 season between the AHL and NHL. Burned the first year of his ELC. He was a late bday so he had played two college seasons before turning pro.

Bonus: Leddy got traded less than 8 months after Fletcher drafted him. He split his 19 year old season between the NHL and AHL for Chicago.

History would suggest that Fletcher leans to the aggressive side with 19 year olds and he doesn't give a **** about preserving ELC years.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Let’s hope. He’s got plenty of nice toys to play with. With their play, both frost and farabee should hopefully get good looks in camp. I only hope it’s not a predetermined decision like we saw this year with hextall and a couple of the prospects.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad