Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone know if there’s tape of Farabee’s BU games out there?

Hoping he’s ready to play with Hayes and Voracek. Seems like a special player and Flyers top 9 really needs to be filled out with offensively dangerous players.

A reputable member of Flyers twitter is calling for Farabee to play with Giroux and Couturier, but personally would love to see
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Farabee-Hayes-Voracek
JVR-Patrick-Lindblom (comfortable on both sides)

Im 100% down with that top 9 assuming Farabee beats Frost in camp. Then let Frost get top 6 mins, top PP in the A until call up time.

Reactions: Unger9 and Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A few days ago Meltzer said his guess is Pitlick will start the season in the top 9. I hear good things about Pitlick, but the Flyers really need Frost or Farabee to be ready. The consensus seems to be Farabee is a half step closer than Frost. I can see Farabee translating to The Show immediately given how well rounded and cerebral he is.
Not from any valid sources.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If you're looking for "offensively dangerous" players Frost is the guy. The Flyers don't really have a guy like him outside of Giroux. He's a clear step above Farabee with the puck and creating plays imo.

That's not to say that I don't think Farabee will make the team- he's a natural winger whereas Frost will have to make a transition to a position he doesn't have much experience playing. I'm sure Hockey Guy reasons may come into play as well. He's right there as a prospect but I think he's fresh on people's minds having played a couple weeks ago. Frost is out of sight, out of mind.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Not from any valid sources.

Not sure what you mean by valid sources, but I’ve seen at least this one (Flyers Top 20 Prospects - July 2019 - Philly is Flyer) allude to Farabee being a little bit closer. Frost looked a bit out of place in his preseason game last TC.

If you're looking for "offensively dangerous" players Frost is the guy. The Flyers don't really have a guy like him outside of Giroux. He's a clear step above Farabee with the puck and creating plays imo.

That's not to say that I don't think Farabee will make the team- he's a natural winger whereas Frost will have to make a transition to a position he doesn't have much experience playing. I'm sure Hockey Guy reasons may come into play as well. He's right there as a prospect but I think he's fresh on people's minds having played a couple weeks ago. Frost is out of sight, out of mind.

I really just meant finally having a top 9 that doesn’t have “filler” players that aren’t great playmakers or finishers. Also, Farabee arguably has better finishing ability than Frost, although they are both fantastic and may be the two best prospects in terms of finishing ability we’ve had in a long time

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not sure what you mean by valid sources, but I’ve seen at least this one (Flyers Top 20 Prospects - July 2019 - Philly is Flyer) allude to Farabee being a little bit closer. Frost looked a bit out of place in his preseason game last TC.
That's a blog. Not a valid source. He was also a Myers >> Sanheim guy fwiw.

Frost played one game, on the 4th line, with linemates to match. Not much to take from it. He was one of the best, if not the best player at the rookie game.

I really just meant finally having a top 9 that doesn’t have “filler” players that aren’t great playmakers or finishers. Also, Farabee arguably has better finishing ability than Frost, although they are both fantastic and may be the two best prospects in terms of finishing ability we’ve had in a long time
Sure, but what I'm saying is they have more guys overlapping Farabee's skillset than they do Frost's.

Frost is a playmaker first and probably second as well, but he's averaged 40 tucks in the regular season the past two years. If we are just evaluating finishers, Ratcliffe should be in the conversation - that's just not feasible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not that they are frequent occurences in the NHL, but i'm not sure there is a prospect on Earth right now better than Frost at finishing on breakaways. He makes that shit look easy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't consider articles by local trash writers to be a valid source of player evaluation.
Almost all of them are idiots with no credibility.

For example, if they're judging based on a preseason game last training camp, that's a good sign that they have worthless opinions.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the more defensively sound player out of Farabee and Frost will make the team.

And there's an easy way to determine that. All we have to do is get them on the scales at camp, and whoever weighs more is the better defender.
f440ce553b0eb669053b089e00e58506.png

T H I C C

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I think the more defensively sound player out of Farabee and Frost will make the team.

And there's an easy way to determine that. All we have to do is get them on the scales at camp, and whoever weighs more is the better defender.

I laughed out loud at this. Well played!

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I don't consider articles by local trash writers to be a valid source of player evaluation.
Almost all of them are idiots with no credibility.

For example, if they're judging based on a preseason game last training camp, that's a good sign that they have worthless opinions.

It’s not just that one game he’s going by. He watches as much of the prospects as he can during the season. Also this one is certainly not an idiot, although he has had some opinions turn out very wrong. I know what you mean.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s not just that one game he’s going by. He watches as much of the prospects as he can during the season. Also this one is certainly not an idiot, although he has had some opinions turn out very wrong. I know what you mean.

I do value Dan's opinion on prospects. He watches a ton, in person when possible such as during camps, and his opinions are based in a defensible logic. He's not the end-all-be-all opinion, but no one is.

Reactions: Unger9

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You can believe and trust whoever you want.

I'd just caution against trusting someone who even brings up that one game as if it means anything more than literally nothing.

Reactions: Unger9

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Hey fellas.

Can you guys tell me how Farabee has looked so far this season? What kind of long range forecast do you have for him? Does he have any grit in his game? I read someplace that projected him to get 50-60 PIMs a season in the future which surprised me. I am asking this for fantasy hockey purposes. I loved him his draft year but haven’t paid that close of attention to him since. Thanks for any info.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hey fellas.

Can you guys tell me how Farabee has looked so far this season? What kind of long range forecast do you have for him? Does he have any grit in his game? I read someplace that projected him to get 50-60 PIMs a season in the future which surprised me. I am asking this for fantasy hockey purposes. I loved him his draft year but haven’t paid that close of attention to him since. Thanks for any info.

He struggled with self-confidence earlier in the season. He indicated not knowing if he would stick with the team permanently was a cause. Now the indication is he is here to stay. Earlier, he was on the PP but was eventually replaced. Considering his age, the transition hasn't been perfectly smooth and that is to be expected. But he has shown enough promise to maintain a role on the club.

He has been a good fit on the line with Laughton and Hayes. Initially, he saw ice time on the first line and that could have overwhelmed him. He indicated that he felt he needed to score to contribute to that line but as a third-line player the pressures have been minimized. Now, he seems to be in a comfort zone with his current line mates. He creates chances and has a better approach to his game recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hey fellas.

He's struggled like most rookies at 19, but clearly belongs in the NHL.

Very high IQ but of course also very inexperienced, biggest problem is lack of size for his style of play, the kid is fearless, but takes a lot of hits, though he's getting better at anticipating and avoiding them.

The "puck finds him", he wins his share of board battles despite his current lack of size (probably under 180 lbs), and he's got the complete skill package offensively, though none of his skills are elite. Struggles to complete plays, but that's normal, it's a tough adjustment from CHL to college to the NHL over a two year period. As the game slows down for him he should finish more plays and up his scoring.

He's not going to be in the ROY running, but in a few seasons, as he fills out his frame, he has the potential to be an elite two way forward because of his on ice IQ and all around skill package.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad