Series Discussion: Round 1: Jets vs Blues

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
St.Louis fans takin shots at Winnipeg. That’s rich.

hqdefault.jpg

North%2BSide%2Band%2BEast%2BSt.%2BLouis%2B095.JPG

Hey...

That's Sips' house...

Before the addition...

:popcorn:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
A strong work ethic is a quality that many young people do have. Not sure why (maybe upbringing) but some just have it (Tanev, Perrault) and some don't.

Considering their multi-million dollar salaries why shouldn't we expect a Tanev/Perrault effort on every shift by every player.

Really want Laine to get moving and catch fire and I think he will. We need him scoring or we won't get past this round.

Sure but the consistency issues with young players isn’t normally about lack of work ethic but rather about limitations in physique and acclimatizing to such a long and grueling season. It’s not like they decide not to give a good effort but rather they just can’t do it for 82 games in a row.

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
I was very frustrated with that regular season but screw it. As many have said here, the real season starts now. Let's see the real Jets take off. More haters and doubters in the press the better. Hammer those comments to the dressing room wall and then go hammer some Blues !

We'll be watching and cheering from deep in the heart of Texas. GoJetsGo !!!

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
So what is the line on Binnington? With Fleury, it was known that to throw him off of his game you need to drive traffic to the net and crash the crease to a certain extent. We did none of that, and Fleury had an easy time with a lot of Jets perimeter shots, and clear line of sight to Jets shooters. Washington, of course, used the known strategy to make life difficult for Fleury which worked very effectively. They had a goal called off for goaltender interference, and someone (can't recall who) crashed the net and took a penalty for running Fleury. They had a strategy to make Fleury uncomfortable and he had a much more difficult time against the Caps. It was obvious, but we didn't do it. So that brings us to Binnington.

Now I am not saying, run the goalie. But traffic to the net is important. Does Binnington have any known weaknesses?
Binny is a very sound positional goalie. He is aggressive at cutting off shooting angles and not giving shooter much open net to snipe. He also has a very good glove hand. He is great at seeing the puck through traffic unlike allen so doesnt get sniped often. He also seems athletic enough and calm enough that he stops most breakaway attempts.

Because he is aggressive at cutting down angles he can be vulnerable to cross ice onetimers if he came out to challenge shooter/angle. Not a problem if blues defense doesnt allow such chances but if blues have defensive breakdowns that can happen to him. Though not nearly as bad or as often as allen, he occasionally has not whole games but rare 5-10minute stretches early in games where he is not feeling it and seems to be fighting puck and will umcharacteristically overslides and is quick to go down like allen instead of his usual good fundamental positioning. Such periods are short and he usually settles down as game goes on.

Binnington is god-awful at handling the puck. When pressured when going out to play a puck he has had several misplays that have led to goals and several more turnovers that have led to sustained pressure by opposing offense. He rarely makes any amazing passes when handling puck so chasing him when he handles puck is a good idea since you might get him to make a gaffe.

Also for some reason, binny despite usually being a great positional goalie has let in his fair share of wrap-arounds from speedy players.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Enjoyed the two Athletic articles today:

How to beat the Blues: A guide to a first-round victory for...
Interesting section about shift length: ...it comes down to discipline on the part of Winnipeg’s star forwards– backing off a shift at 30 to 40 seconds instead of chasing extra offence. When it comes to average shift length, Scheifele (8th), Connor (13th), Laine (25th) and Wheeler (36th) are all among league leaders, according to NHL.com.

2019 NHL playoff preview: Jets vs. Blues
Obligatory Ehlers hype: As for Ehlers, he flies under-the-radar amongst Winnipeg’s other star players, but he’s pivotal to the team earning more chances than the other. Any line he touches usually comes out ahead at 5-on-5 and he’s one of the team’s strongest play-drivers. He’s absolutely dynamite with the puck and is one of the league’s best players at exiting and entering the zone with control, as well as creating chances in the offensive zone

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I want Laine on the 4th line, away from Little.
Id rather have

Ehlers Copp Laine

Than Little and Laine

Also whats up with Perrault and Hayes :)

BUUUUUUT if they insist in Little and Laine

They just have to remember the St Louis game.
Where Little and thst time Connor was all over the puck in the board. Laine find a seem in the slot or middle. Automatic goals for the Jets

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Hypothetically, IF the Jets were to bow out to the Blues in the the first round, and again I stress hypothetically and IF in the off-season General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff receives a phone call from Bob Murray in Anaheim offering up Sam Steel +Cam Fowler for Patrick Laine, Chevy's response is what?

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Hypothetically, IF the Jets were to bow out to the Blues in the the first round, and again I stress hypothetically and IF in the off-season General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff receives a phone call from Bob Murray in Anaheim offering up Sam Steel +Cam Fowler for Patrick Laine, Chevy's response is what?
No

Reactions: Pongs21

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

Takes a page out of Mo's book and says **** off, **** you and hangs up :laugh:

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Takes a page out of Mo's book and says **** off, **** you and hangs up :laugh:

In all seriousness though are you not concerned with the plight of Laine. To get a player of Steels elk along with a stable presence defensively is hard to pass up. Keep in mind Patrick had eleven goals in his last sixty on an offensively challenged team.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
In all seriousness though are you not concerned with the plight of Laine. To get a player of Steels elk along with a stable presence defensively is hard to pass up. Keep in mind Patrick had eleven goals in his last sixty on an offensively challenged team.

I meant to say offensively gifted team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think Jets will come out flying and physical in 1st period.
Jets might be up few goals as well.

Now i want to see how they will react in 2nd and 3rd period. When Blues pushes back.

It helps that Morrissey and Buff are back.
But i only see Maurice trusting Scheifele and Wheeler combo playing the whole 3rd period.
So that we have to see also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad