Series Discussion: Round 1: Jets vs Blues

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I actually have no idea what Jets hockey is supposed to be this year. Dump and Chase?

I'd like to get your take. Rather than have to reread the entire thread, can you at least give me a clue as to how long ago you wrote it out?
To be extremely simple - Jets hockey is to have high pressure all over the ice, use our speed to attack, force mistakes from the opponent. Make quick, high skilled decisions with the puck.

This years Jets are sloppy, paralyzed, lack execution, don't make quick decisions. Teams like that have to dump in the puck because they aren't executing the types of passing, pass reception or puck handling skills they need to gain entry into the zone consistently (and exit our zone). Slow decisions = turnovers. Players end up in the wrong place, standing around, and teams get into a good position to turn the puck over.

It's all mental. These players have shown that they can play that style and execute at an elite level. They haven't done it this year and its' not a result of the opposition figuring us out, it's a result of our players not playing up to their capabililties consistently

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Interested to see these "changes" hopefully Perreault is in for either Lindholm or Roslo. Kulikov out for anyone. And make a few changes as Hayes and ehlers need to be better and get something going.

Pretty clear its a must win. They know that and will be nervous and have minimal confidence. As do most of us fans. But like I said, if they get the win and its 2-1 at least we can get excited and pumped for game 4 for a chance to head home 2-2. In saying that I will not hold my breath

Full blender.

Laine Scheifele Connor
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Perreault Hayes Roslovic
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Buff
Beaulieu Trouba
Chiarot Myers

Reactions: Robinson2187

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I want us to win so we can make this a series and not a sweep

Sweeps are no fun

One goal losses twice. Not blowouts. And we haven't been playing our best team game

Let's go to St Louis and get a win!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Need to either win 2 in a row twice or 3 in a row once. Time to go streaking

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Full blender.

Laine Scheifele Connor
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Perreault Hayes Roslovic
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Buff
Beaulieu Trouba
Chiarot Myers

It's the one thing that was real unfortunate all year is that we never saw Wheels away from Scheif. Lines have so many other possibilities but we never got to see them. Even yours above but swapping Ehlers and Connor is the top six I wanted at the start of the year, would love to see them for a stretch of games but we never did. It won't happen now but that bottom 9 looks pretty sold.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
To be extremely simple - Jets hockey is to have high pressure all over the ice, use our speed to attack, force mistakes from the opponent. Make quick, high skilled decisions with the puck.

This years Jets are sloppy, paralyzed, lack execution, don't make quick decisions. Teams like that have to dump in the puck because they aren't executing the types of passing, pass reception or puck handling skills they need to gain entry into the zone consistently (and exit our zone). Slow decisions = turnovers. Players end up in the wrong place, standing around, and teams get into a good position to turn the puck over.

It's all mental. These players have shown that they can play that style and execute at an elite level. They haven't done it this year and its' not a result of the opposition figuring us out, it's a result of our players not playing up to their capabililties consistently

Well, I would argue that that can't be Jets hockey, because we were incapable of playing that way in any consistent manner.

Perhaps that is the way Paul wants us to play, but it isn't happening so it's not Jets hockey.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Its not all that surprising what is happening this series. The Jets have not been all that engaged in following their system this year. Its one thing to up the effort level but its hard to get back into the habit of executing the system properly. This is where all those bad habits that were allowed to get ingrained over the season hurt us. As mentioned St. Louis who has been engaged and playing a solid game plan for months now is looking very much in sync. They are doing a much better job supporting each other on the ice then us.

Not sure where we go from this if we exit early, a lot of things haven't worked out very well:

• Hayes has been a disappointment, but that is how it goes with rentals sometimes
  • Ice time allocations are not optimal
  • Team leadership seems fragile
I think the team will learn a very hard lesson this year in that you can't half ass your way to the playoffs. You need to be engaged and playing the right way, adhearing to your system right from game one of the year. The question will also need to be asked if Maurice is still the right person to get them to buy in. It will be an interesting off season this summer.

This is really good post. St. Louis has been in sync for awhile. It's hard to pinpoint where we went out of sync. I think the Hayes trade affected the lineup balance. If this trade turns out to be a dud, it will be the first time Chevy has been burned, I think, via the trade route. You have to wonder if we weren't better off with Lemieux-Copp-Roslovic as the 4th line, as they were bringing relentless pressure. The fact we are getting beat by a team that has Sundqvist, Bozak, and Barbashev as the 2,3,4 centres, I think shows that structure is far more important than paper stats. The injuries on defense also hurt. But watching Morrissey get owned, like Hedman, shows that you can't hide injuries in the playoffs. Buff has a burr under his saddle, and I noticed that the PP scored with him leading it, so maybe now that he is back on his horse as the leader of the defense things will fall into place. I do agree that there is some leadership issues, but I mostly see a St. Louis team that uses its size advantage to maintain possession, and stifle it contrarily. With Columbus, the Isles, Washington, Dallas and St. Louis all using their physical advantage to win, early, if the trend continues, does that affect the way Chevy approaches his roster next year? Do we need more grit to go deep in the playoffs?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, I would argue that that can't be Jets hockey, because we were incapable of playing that way in any consistent manner.

Perhaps that is the way Paul wants us to play, but it isn't happening so it's not Jets hockey.

Look, I'm not going to argue in circles, the Jets played that game for long stretches of time over almost 100 games last year - same team same coaches. I consider that to be Jets hockey even if they really didn't do it nearly enough this year.
I think we're having a silly argument, don't you?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Look, I'm not going to argue in circles, the Jets played that game for long stretches of time over almost 100 games last year - same team same coaches. I consider that to be Jets hockey even if they really didn't do it nearly enough this year.
I think we're having a silly argument, don't you?

I view it as a discussion, not an argument.

I agree with you, that that WAS Jets hockey. It is not Jets hockey this year. I dont see this team as having an identity in their play this year. They have been wildly inconsistent. Thats my .02.

If you disagree, no problem. But I dont know how you could call it Jets hockey since they just dont play that way and havent for a long time.

Reactions: Board Bard

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
ep0hwEl.png

Similar to my last post in this thread: 5v5 only, score and venue adjusted, using NaturalStatTrick. Game Score as per @domluszczyszyn.

Ehlers surprisingly at the bottom but hasn't really gotten scored on. Byfuglien is on another level just taking this game to an exceptional pace. Last game's third period really skewing some of the rates at the moment. Nothing happens with the 4th line of Perreault-Hayes-Roslovic on the ice. Kulikov obviously our weakest defender but it isn't gregarious by any means.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Full credit to the Blues for the win in this series. They earned it. They battled and never stopped battling. Binnington was the better goalie, by a slim margin. Their defense was better, and give Larry Robinson the credit there. Their forwards played tighter. O'Reilly and Tarasenko outplayed Scheif and Wheeler. How bad is Scheifele injured? Oskar Sundqvist had a better series than Nik Ehlers. I think Robert Thomas was just as dangerous as Patrik Laine this series. Jaden Schwartz was the difference in secondary scoring.

The Jets had their chance. You have to know how to win, how to close. That's been an ongoing problem. I think there is going to be questions to answer in the offseason. What's the problem with this team? I know a lot of fingers will get pointed. Maurice has to be accountable, to himself and the team. Chevy has a lot of decisions to make. Jets are not as good as many thought, and the bad news is the teams behind us are going to get better, we might get worse in the offseason. That's going to be Chevy's challenge. I think there is a lot to be said for playing the right way. St. Louis had been doing it consistently going into the playoffs. The Jets had more than enough chances to win their division but couldn't put the hammer down. I am still a Jets fan though, no matter the result. I don't think many believed this was our year, like we did last year, with Stastny having such an impact, to get us through 2 rounds.

St. Louis is playing good enough to come out of the division, and who knows beyond that. Like the story of the tortoise and the hare, I think we saw two different tales from two different teams this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad