Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
We haven't had a good bottom 6 since forever, if it is so easy to find such players, why do we only have two?

You keep the players that do their jobs good and punt the others
agreed on all accounts, except no one wants the receive those punts.

In all honesty, i would be all for trading Tage for a pick or something we can package in a bigger deal, assuming he wouldn't fetch much on his own.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Or some people overvalue players who have not hockey IQ. We have way too many in that category.

Agreed. The problem is those low IQ/talent players are inhabiting our middle 6 (Mitts excluded). Larsson/Girgensons may have low offensive IQ, but they're a terror to play against in both zones. They are the only 2 forwards on this team right now that make the opposition work for every inch of ice they get. If we trade one or both of them -- by this time next year, we're begging to find players of exactly that ilk. Guys like Larsson and Girgensons are EXACTLY the type of player that thrive in the offseason, once we get there.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I'm Botts, after seeing what's transpired in Minnesota, I'm calling Fenton and sniffing around Zucker, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba. Fenton may be the new Benning - an old-school GM who had the good fortune of being an AGM on a team that had success, but can't sit in the big chair. Friedman seems to believe that the Wild are in the midst of a mini-teardown, and almost nobody would be off-limits. While I doubt they'd trade Spurgeon or Dumba, I could see Zucker or Brodin moved.

Also, Buffalo should keep tabs on Nashville. Sounds like the Preds badly want Duchene, and would like to extend him immediately. Friedman said if they do that, he could see Turris getting flipped. Unfortunately, Botts is so invested in Mitts as the 2C, I don't think Botts would jump at Turris. Finally, Friedman noted that Nashville has a bunch of "secondary" guys who they need to pay this offseason, and they may not be able to keep all of them. While it's more likely they'd be moved after the season, guys like Sissons, Hartman, or Fiala could get moved.

Yes to Brodin, Zucker, Sissons, and Hartman.

Reactions: Sabretip

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Agreed. The problem is those low IQ/talent players are inhabiting our middle 6 (Mitts excluded). Larsson/Girgensons may have low offensive IQ, but they're a terror to play against in both zones. They are the only 2 forwards on this team right now that make the opposition work for every inch of ice they get. If we trade one or both of them -- by this time next year, we're begging to find players of exactly that ilk. Guys like Larsson and Girgensons are EXACTLY the type of player that thrive in the offseason, once we get there.

I have no issue, but they are certainly replaceable. If one (or both) attract interest at the TDL, there is zero reason to move them if we can garner a return (I'd say a 2nd round pick or B level prospect at this point would be very hard to turn down for either)

It isn't simply about moving out players who don't do their job. Given their roles, both Girgensons and Larsson do their job fine. It's about making little changes that will add up to better results. Putting together a 4th line that can score 25-30 goals a season rather than 10-12 goals and have players that can move up in case of injuries rather than players who are, essentially, career 4th liners.

Reactions: lancaster14

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I have no issue, but they are certainly replaceable. If one (or both) attract interest at the TDL, there is zero reason to move them if we can garner a return (I'd say a 2nd round pick or B level prospect at this point would be very hard to turn down for either)

It isn't simply about moving out players who don't do their job. Given their roles, both Girgensons and Larsson do their job fine. It's about making little changes that will add up to better results. Putting together a 4th line that can score 25-30 goals a season rather than 10-12 goals and have players that can move up in case of injuries rather than players who are, essentially, career 4th liners.
The current GM has not shown the ability to replace these players.

Carrier and Foligno were deemed replaceable and we're still waiting...

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How bout we try to get more top 9 scoring instead of worrying about the scoring we get from Gus-Larry. If we do that, their roles become even more important in limiting chances against and being a pain in the ass to play against, I can't wait to see them in a playoff series.

Any playoff GM would love to add Larsson, opposing coaches/GM's know all about him and how hard he is to play against and the effort he brings, getting him for peanuts, while still being RFA would be a great score....and I would be livid.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
We haven't had a good bottom 6 since forever, if it is so easy to find such players, why do we only have two?

You keep the players that do their jobs good and punt the others
We haven't been able to find a good bottom 6 because our 2nd and 3rd lines should be 3rd and 4th lines. Once you realize that you get it.

When you are a bad team and you are talking about 4th line players....yikes.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It's probably just date night and they want to see what a team that's actually fighting to get into the playoffs looks like.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
In reality the intern just forgot to take the sign down from last game, but speculation is more fun

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This fan base flat out deserves better. None of us can control anything about this team, the big guys getting paid to turn this around have not done their jobs period. This isn’t rocket science, we need to win and put a product on the ice that is exceptable. It’s like Murray and even Botterill both don’t get it for completely different reasons. Opposite ends of the spectrum, this team needs someone between those two.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yes, magic beans for useful players. Tank on.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad