Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What do you think they would return and what would you want to get back to move them?

For me, a 2nd round pick in this draft would be a boon, especially considering we aren't in the 2nd round.

Absent that I'd be looking for "tweener" players who are waiver eligible and simply haven't been able to get a regular role. + 3rd/4th round pick

Similar to O'Regan. Not a top prospect, but a prospect who is close to NHL ready and could contribute in a NHL bottom 6 role immediately.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Money solves their worries

Rumor is Botts may be willing to let go 2 1sts at the deadline. Not saying it is going to happen but there is definitely a buzz out there about Buffalo trading 1st rounders
(When I say Buzz, Twitter Pundits repeating TSN and other talking heads)

Friedman has been pretty unequivocal that Buffalo isn’t offering 1sts for rentals. So we aren’t going to be in the mix for the Duchenes of the world. Of course, I do think he’d put them in play for young guys with term.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Same. Forget positional need/value. Stone is the far superior hockey player and has a much bigger impact on the game.

Stone is also a year younger, although I would expect it will cost more to sign him to an extension.

On the Bobcast, they were speculating that a Stone extension would cost in the $9.5-10M per range when talking about the Jets interest in the Winnipeg native and the trickle down effect that would have on their roster and cap situation moving forward.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For me, a 2nd round pick in this draft would be a boon, especially considering we aren't in the 2nd round.

Absent that I'd be looking for "tweener" players who are waiver eligible and simply haven't been able to get a regular role. + 3rd/4th round pick

Similar to O'Regan. Not a top prospect, but a prospect who is close to NHL ready and could contribute in a NHL bottom 6 role immediately.

I would be surprised if Botts could get that much back in a deal for them.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How are you deducing this? Girgensons and Larsson aren't returning 1st round picks, even if they returned 2nd round picks the odds of those picks becoming the equals of Girgensons and Larsson in 3 or 4 years are about a 30% probability.

A limited market of sellers. Add to the fact that Girgensons/Larsson aren't pure rentals, you'd probably get more traction on bubble teams looking to fill out their 3rd/4th line.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Money solves their worries

Rumor is Botts may be willing to let go 2 1sts at the deadline. Not saying it is going to happen but there is definitely a buzz out there about Buffalo trading 1st rounders
(When I say Buzz, Twitter Pundits repeating TSN and other talking heads)
I think trading assets at the deadline is pretty stupid for this team. The offseason is when to make moves IMO. Don't waste assets. I would be selling

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Friedman has been pretty unequivocal that Buffalo isn’t offering 1sts for rentals. So we aren’t going to be in the mix for the Duchenes of the world. Of course, I do think he’d put them in play for young guys with term.

We would move a 1st for a signed - Stone or Duchene.
Actually our first might be one of the most valuable on the market as I don't see Top 10 teams moving theirs.
Ottawa might also like the idea of a Nylander rivalry with Toronto from a marketing perspective.

Sabres 1st (Lotto protected)
Nylander
Samuelsson?
Sobotka (balance salaries. Ottawa needs some salary or they will be under the cap. lol)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think, given the recent history of the Sabres, we probably need to take a look at most of the roster. I certainly agree that Girgensons and Larsson ARE useful.

However, I also think they have limited upside and have been mired in the "Sabres culture" for too long. These are career 4th liners. They've had ample opportunity to rise in the ranks on these awful teams....they haven't. While I'm not advocating a full on stripping the team down to the core and re-building, I do think we finally have a deep enough bench in Rochester where our 4th line can be used as a developmental tool. I'd love to give O'Regan shot at 4th line duty before he walks as a UFA at this summer. I'd also love to have some spots to put veterans in on PTO at camp.

Larsson and Girgensons are both declining assets. This summer we have to either start buying out UFA years ($$) or simply let them sign their QO (over 1.5M each). This is a sellers market. They are both movable assets that would be desirable and over valued on the deadline market.

So they're going to replace the top two PKers at forward on the team for a couple of mid-round picks, when Botterill's assessment of roster value in depth roles has been a constant turd sandwich of Sobotka, Berglund, Pouliot, Nolan, Elie, Josefson and Griffith? I envy your optimism.

As for the classification as "4th liners", even this season, they're 7th and 9th in ToI among the forwards, even with Sobotka's crazy, inappropriate usage. Similarly last year... and the year before that... etc... They don't get offensive looks, as we see in their zone starts and neither get any regular PP time, who is going to drive ES production in that sort of role who isn't going to cost them an arm and a leg?

The places to look at upgrading are in the shit Botterill has regularly brought in and the cavity he created at center. O'Regan getting minutes in place of the husk formerly known as Pominville? Or rotating out Thompson's ineffectiveness? Leaving Okposo on the shelf for the rest of the year? Fine. Heck, finding a way to take an active detriment to the team like Sobotka out of Housley's toolbag and giving him some spins at NHL center? Great. But that also means communicating with the coach that this wasted season has to be about evaluating youth and non-roster pieces instead of pulling shit like last night where Smith got 1 shift in the third period.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We would move a 1st for a signed - Stone or Duchene.
Actually our first might be one of the most valuable on the market as I don't see Top 10 teams moving theirs.
Ottawa might also like the idea of a Nylander rivalry with Toronto from a marketing perspective.

Sabres 1st (Lotto protected)
Nylander
Samuelsson?
Sobotka (balance salaries. Ottawa needs some salary or they will be under the cap. lol)

To believe that to be possible, I think you have to be confident in two things:

(1) That the BUF 1st, Nylander, and Samuelsson is the best deal that OTT can get for a signed Duchene or Stone; and
(2) Ottawa has done a 180 on its philosophy regarding trading good players within its division.

I don't think either is true. If you're dealing in the sign-and-trade realm, other teams are also going to put forward substantial offers. If you're talking about a Duchene or Stone signed for 5-8 years, teams like Winnipeg would offer Roslovic, Niku, and their 1st, or NSH would offer Tolvanen and a 1st, or even Fabbro (if they have concerns that they can sign him) and a 1st. Even with the later 1sts, those teams can trump our offers. Especially when you consider (2), that Ottawa is not trading those guys within the division, especially when they're signed far longer than guys like Hoffman and Karlsson were when the Sens traded them. Even if you think Ottawa has amended their own internal philosophy, Buffalo is going to have to blow other offers out of the water to get it done. And that offer ain't that.

I know acquiring big names is like catnip around here. But almost all of the evidence points against that Buffalo would be able to acquire guys like Duchene or Stone, as rentals or as sign-and-trade candidates. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
Can Dzingel play C? Seems like he's been on LW a lot.
Can play W or C.

Think he's been playing the wing because Duchene, White, Tierny, Pageau are down the middle. And their 2nd line wingers without Stone/Dzingel in line up are Zack Smith and Magnus Paajarvi.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To believe that to be possible, I think you have to be confident in two things:

(1) That the BUF 1st, Nylander, and Samuelsson is the best deal that OTT can get for a signed Duchene or Stone; and
(2) Ottawa has done a 180 on its philosophy regarding trading good players within its division.

I don't think either is true. If you're dealing in the sign-and-trade realm, other teams are also going to put forward substantial offers. If you're talking about a Duchene or Stone signed for 5-8 years, teams like Winnipeg would offer Roslovic, Niku, and their 1st, or NSH would offer Tolvanen and a 1st, or even Fabbro (if they have concerns that they can sign him) and a 1st. Even with the later 1sts, those teams can trump our offers. Especially when you consider (2), that Ottawa is not trading those guys within the division, especially when they're signed far longer than guys like Hoffman and Karlsson were when the Sens traded them. Even if you think Ottawa has amended their own internal philosophy, Buffalo is going to have to blow other offers out of the water to get it done. And that offer ain't that.

I know acquiring big names is like catnip around here. But almost all of the evidence points against that Buffalo would be able to acquire guys like Duchene or Stone, as rentals or as sign-and-trade candidates. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

My most reasliztic hope for a "big name" move by the Sabres is signing Skinner to an extension.

Beyond that, maybe selling off a piece or two and acquiring a player or two for Rochester is what I am expecting for the Sabres before the deadline hits on Monday.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
My most reasliztic hope for a "big name" move by the Sabres is signing Skinner to an extension.

Beyond that, maybe selling off a piece or two and acquiring a player or two for Rochester is what I am expecting for the Sabres before the deadline hits on Monday.

That's where I have been for some time. I think there's a <10% chance that they move one of the 1sts in a deal for a guy with term. I'm still watching LAK, and wondering if Botts can cobble together a package for Toffoli and/or Martinez. I suppose Minnesota is also a possibility. But I'm not hopeful. I'm fully expecting a minor move or two, with a 5pm presser from Botts about how he had some good conversations and maybe laid the groundwork for a summer trade.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's where I have been for some time. I think there's a <10% chance that they move one of the 1sts in a deal for a guy with term. I'm still watching LAK, and wondering if Botts can cobble together a package for Toffoli and/or Martinez. I suppose Minnesota is also a possibility. But I'm not hopeful. I'm fully expecting a minor move or two, with a 5pm presser from Botts about how he had some good conversations and maybe laid the groundwork for a summer trade.

Seems like the Tim Connolly extension situation all over again.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Can’t link it right now because I’m at work but in Vogl’s recent mailbag article on The Athletic he says the Sabres WILL sign Skinner, possibly very soon.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can’t link it right now because I’m at work but in Vogl’s recent mailbag article on The Athletic he says the Sabres WILL sign Skinner, possibly very soon.
Yeah, it was hard to keep reading though after he said O'Reilly wasn't a great role model for a young team. I get the leadership stuff, but it's getting old.

They have to sign Skinner. We won't like the contract but the fans would revolt if they lost him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Honestly, signing Skinner to an 8 year deal and then waiting to see who shakes loose around the draft when looking at teams with cap issues like Winnipeg and teams that are retooling like Minnesota is the most likely path forward as teams rarely move guys with term left at the TDL.

Most of the conversations now are on rentals. And the Sabres aren't in a position where they are going to be doing too much on that front.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad