Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
While I would like to believe Terry and Kim were down vacationing in Florida and just wanted to watch some hockey... I can't help but feel like they're the kinds of owners who "take matters into their own hands" (ie. scouting) when things aren't going well. And it kinda makes me sick.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If the Duchene rumor is true, I can see the ROR crowd getting worked up, but I think it fits with the MO that Botterill wants to build a team that can outskate anyone.

Reactions: Mitts888

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If the Duchene rumor is true, I can see the ROR crowd getting worked up, but I think it fits with the MO that Botterill wants to build a team that can outskate anyone.

You cannot seriously think trading for Duchene is a good idea. Maybe as a free UFA, not someone you trade for.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
At this point I’m basically numb to any transaction the sabres make, it’s hard for me to even show emotion anymore...lol

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If the Duchene rumor is true, the trade ROR crowd will have to choke on crow over the claims of a player passing his prime before the team is competitive since Duchene is actually slightly older than O'Reilly.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I won’t read into Dregger. Until actual trade day, it’s almost all speculation.

That said, our need for a 2C is probably what brought us into the speculative discussion.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'd certainly point out the irony once or twice, but you won't find me doing anything but desperately clawing for talented hockey players and if we get one, we get one!

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It is probably a good thing. They are absentee owners who only see the Sabres when in town for nfl biz. Seeing a rebuilding team like the canes or panthas and being told it need not take 9 years might get them to ask Bobblehead tougher questions. Or its a mistake by a twitter nerd.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yes to Brodin, Zucker, Sissons, and Hartman.
Zucker's value seems to be plummeting to the point where one would think he could be had at bargain - and his age / speed / offensive skills are comparable to Skinner and Sheary, two guys Botterill did add.

I also think Brodin would be a great add - at the time of the previous Minnesota trade, he was the D I was hoping for and not Dumba or Scandella.

Zucker + Brodin for Ristolainen + Thompson......maybe mix a draft pick in on either side as needed?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Did Hoffman forget to include us on his NTC??
I hope - and suspect - that they'd be more interested in Huberdeau than Hoffman. Given how strict they've been with any employees with unethical behavior or involvement in scandal (be it players like Kane or staff like Brandon and Gilbert), it's hard to imagine that the Pegulas would look past what happened with Hoffman in Ottawa.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I’m surprised I didn’t hear anything earlier.

As sexy a rumor as it might be to think the Sabres would go big-game hunting with Duchene, it's hard to see Botterill adding Duchene and re-signing him to the rumored $8M x 8 deal at the same time as Skinner's extension is in the mix.....it would be cap hell once Dahlin and Reinhart are on their next contracts with Eichel, Skinner and Duchene all over $8M and Okposo's contract still in the mix.

If Botterill makes any impact moves, I'd rather see someone like Zucker, Toffoli or Athanasiou be a target. I wouldn't mind Duchene from talent perspective but the cap issues are worrisome - even if the Sabres can afford it overall, they'd be going the top-heavy approach where 5-6 players take up more than 50% of the cap.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
As sexy a rumor as it might be to think the Sabres would go big-game hunting with Duchene, it's hard to see Botterill adding Duchene and re-signing him to the rumored $8M x 8 deal at the same time as Skinner's extension is in the mix.....it would be cap hell once Dahlin and Reinhart are on their next contracts with Eichel, Skinner and Duchene all over $8M and Okposo's contract still in the mix.

If Botterill makes any impact moves, I'd rather see someone like Zucker, Toffoli or Athanasiou be a target. I wouldn't mind Duchene from talent perspective but the cap issues are worrisome - even if the Sabres can afford it overall, they'd be going the top-heavy approach where 5-6 players take up more than 50% of the cap.

They can afford both Duchene and Skinner I believe. There's enough money coming off the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad