Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
I mentioned this in a post on the trade forum, but it would be interesting to see if Botts can exploit the fact that he holds 3 1sts, via a 3-way trade. Team A wants a star player like Duchene, but Team B only wants 1sts in return and not prospects. Botts steps in and offers a 1st in return for a prospect/player from Team A, who can then package the 1st to Team B for Duchene. Basically a way to "get in on" some of the over payment that Team A will have to do to get Duchene.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Silfveberg is signing an extension and is off the market. But the Ducks will have to make a cap dumping move to complete it.

Henrique and Rakell have both fallen from grace and are way underproducing. Are they guys you can get with an ELC prospect for cheap because of the cap situation?
I would be thrilled to add Rakell

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just listened to Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast with Marek. They went through where every team stands prior to the deadline. The highlights re: Buffalo.

-Something "gnawing at" Friedman re: Skinner. He thinks Skinner wants to stay but wants around $9MM. He thinks Buffalo wants to keep him, but doesn't want to go that hight. Friedman believes they won't trade Skinner and will continue trying to re-sign him. He didn't seem aware of the fact that they can't give him 8 years until after the deadline.

-Passing reference to Beaulieu being unhappy and wanting a trade.

-Another nod to maybe moving Pominville.

-Marek thinks the most interesting guy is Nylander, and what they do with him.

-Friedman saying that Buffalo has made very clear to all teams that they aren't trading a 1st for any rental.

Not a lot of news there. No mention of Risto or any other under-the-radar guy who could be moved.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Eventually, they rounded out the staff and that bag is decidedly mixed. Most of the staff initially hired by Regier and later added to by Murray have been dumped by Botterill, which leaves us wondering what sort of hires Botterill has pulled in since he lost his Swedish primary to the DEL and they relieved the scout most responsible for advocating for Mittelstadt as well. With some of his other decisions, color me cautious to downright sceptical of Botterill's talent evaluation process on the ice and his scouting hires remain an almost complete unknown.

For a team that has bled talent and not drafted well, aggressive UDFA pursuit is a must. Being the second choice on a number of players has hurt them long-term when looking at their forward depth in particular. Not even being in the hunt hurt them even more.

This line of thinking would seem to say that Regier should have been given more time with a bigger staffing budget. You're right re: UDFA, but realistically, how many do/should teams be expected to sign? What's a reasonable evaluation criteria?

UDFA and overagers will become more of a focus in the near future.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So I mis-identified the nickname/slur that Mrs. Pegula calls herself. She casts herself in a very sinister light by calling herself the Black Widow. Wonder how Terry feels about that. Would You want to work for a Black Widow? Not me. It would make me lose my love for the game. Also, it's easy to casually call someone racist; it's a form of bullying and an insult to shut people up.

Not quitting while you're behind is you bullying yourself.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There is another decent one..I’m blanking on his name. He is a 4C after buffalo he played in Boston.

Remember it’s hard to distinguish who was a u drafted college pkayer vs doneine drafted without digging in the data.

Many teams have 1-2 college players they own the rights to coukd turn pro thus season and leave early.

The issue with getting a player to turn pro before leaving college usually means playing that season in the nhl but not every team has roster space to do that.

And this gets to the heart of what I'm not sure about Regier. If he signed 3 UDFA in 2 years who stuck in the pros that's really good right? What's a reasonable expectation? There's no indication to me that Buffalo is below average for UDFA.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm very curious what the market is for our depth forwards

Girgensons, Larsson, Pominville, heck even Sobotka. If we could get some AHL depth + picks in return to see the Amerks through the rest of the season and call up a few guys to fill the spots. We talk about making changes, cycling through are bottom 6 forwards and slotting in youngster in those spots is a way to get better. The 3M we're spending on Larsson/Girgensons could easily be used on a UFA this summer. There is a pressing issue throughout our bottom 9 forwards. Girgensons/Larsson/Sobokta have combined for 11G, 22A in over 160 GP combined. This is low hanging fruit and they could get some interesting returns.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Girgensons, Larsson, Pominville, heck even Sobotka. If we could get some AHL depth + picks in return to see the Amerks through the rest of the season and call up a few guys to fill the spots. We talk about making changes, cycling through are bottom 6 forwards and slotting in youngster in those spots is a way to get better. The 3M we're spending on Larsson/Girgensons could easily be used on a UFA this summer. There is a pressing issue throughout our bottom 9 forwards. Girgensons/Larsson/Sobokta have combined for 11G, 22A in over 160 GP combined. This is low hanging fruit and they could get some interesting returns.

The only issue I have with trading effective defensive players for magic beans for the sake of change is that the list of players who are actually okay at their role as forwards on this team is basically 5 guys -- the top line and Larry/Gus. Everyone else could/should be shopped if possible, especially the statistically terrible guys like Sobotka.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The only issue I have with trading effective defensive players for magic beans for the sake of change is that the list of players who are actually okay at their role as forwards on this team is basically 5 guys -- the top line and Larry/Gus. Everyone else could/should be shopped if possible, especially the statistically terrible guys like Sobotka.
Trading Sobotka and his vet savvy means we’ve given up on making the playoffs.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not sure I see what trading pommer will do at this point. Or what we'd even get

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Patting him on the back and making them feel like they treated a vet to a solid so we think they're regard among players is improved? That's all I have.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Trading Pomms opens up a spot in the line up for a Nylander or Oloffsson. I don’t care if it’s a 5th. If someone offers and asset for him.. take it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If I'm Botts, after seeing what's transpired in Minnesota, I'm calling Fenton and sniffing around Zucker, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba. Fenton may be the new Benning - an old-school GM who had the good fortune of being an AGM on a team that had success, but can't sit in the big chair. Friedman seems to believe that the Wild are in the midst of a mini-teardown, and almost nobody would be off-limits. While I doubt they'd trade Spurgeon or Dumba, I could see Zucker or Brodin moved.

Also, Buffalo should keep tabs on Nashville. Sounds like the Preds badly want Duchene, and would like to extend him immediately. Friedman said if they do that, he could see Turris getting flipped. Unfortunately, Botts is so invested in Mitts as the 2C, I don't think Botts would jump at Turris. Finally, Friedman noted that Nashville has a bunch of "secondary" guys who they need to pay this offseason, and they may not be able to keep all of them. While it's more likely they'd be moved after the season, guys like Sissons, Hartman, or Fiala could get moved.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

Why are we moving girgensons and larsson? Espically for 3rds? Besides Eichel Reinhart skinner they are the only other forwards that bring it every single night. Larsson is playing with a bunch of speed this year, as well as girgensons has he has. They usually play in the other teams end and are great with the cycle down low. Makes absolutely zero sense to trade those two players.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
If I'm Botts, after seeing what's transpired in Minnesota, I'm calling Fenton and sniffing around Zucker, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba. Fenton may be the new Benning - an old-school GM who had the good fortune of being an AGM on a team that had success, but can't sit in the big chair. Friedman seems to believe that the Wild are in the midst of a mini-teardown, and almost nobody would be off-limits. While I doubt they'd trade Spurgeon or Dumba, I could see Zucker or Brodin moved.

Also, Buffalo should keep tabs on Nashville. Sounds like the Preds badly want Duchene, and would like to extend him immediately. Friedman said if they do that, he could see Turris getting flipped. Unfortunately, Botts is so invested in Mitts as the 2C, I don't think Botts would jump at Turris. Finally, Friedman noted that Nashville has a bunch of "secondary" guys who they need to pay this offseason, and they may not be able to keep all of them. While it's more likely they'd be moved after the season, guys like Sissons, Hartman, or Fiala could get moved.

Yeah this. IF I’m GMJB I’m calling Minny and asking about Zucker and granlund.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad