Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but didn't they go on a scout buying spree?

They signed Flynn and Ruhwedel as UDFA, and a few more that didn't pan out. I'm not sure what my expectations for a team and UDFA are. Is one a season good? Do you expect more or less? Its an going to a play a bigger part of the NHL moving forward IMO.

Eventually, they rounded out the staff and that bag is decidedly mixed. Most of the staff initially hired by Regier and later added to by Murray have been dumped by Botterill, which leaves us wondering what sort of hires Botterill has pulled in since he lost his Swedish primary to the DEL and they relieved the scout most responsible for advocating for Mittelstadt as well. With some of his other decisions, color me cautious to downright sceptical of Botterill's talent evaluation process on the ice and his scouting hires remain an almost complete unknown.

For a team that has bled talent and not drafted well, aggressive UDFA pursuit is a must. Being the second choice on a number of players has hurt them long-term when looking at their forward depth in particular. Not even being in the hunt hurt them even more.

Reactions: sabremike

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
She is not qualified, other than by marriage, to run a professional hockey organization. No experience, no subject matter knowledge, and no network in the industry below the ownership level.

Literally all she does is the business side of things. Nobody knows how qualified she actually is for that

Member 308457

He was questioning your casually racist dog whistle, not your identification.

So I mis-identified the nickname/slur that Mrs. Pegula calls herself. She casts herself in a very sinister light by calling herself the Black Widow. Wonder how Terry feels about that. Would You want to work for a Black Widow? Not me. It would make me lose my love for the game. Also, it's easy to casually call someone racist; it's a form of bullying and an insult to shut people up.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
You're right, I misspoke. We shipped out Stafford in the process of getting Kane, and then Stafford went 21-17-38 for Winnipeg while we got 20-15-35 out of Kane his first year. A mild downgrade.
Stafford surely has outplayed Kane ever since.
That 38 points were his highest he had since the trade followed by 21, 15 and 8 this season so far...
Looks like a keeper!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but didn't they go on a scout buying spree?

They signed Flynn and Ruhwedel as UDFA, and a few more that didn't pan out. I'm not sure what my expectations for a team and UDFA are. Is one a season good? Do you expect more or less? Its an going to a play a bigger part of the NHL moving forward IMO.

There is another decent one..I’m blanking on his name. He is a 4C after buffalo he played in Boston.

Remember it’s hard to distinguish who was a u drafted college pkayer vs doneine drafted without digging in the data.

Many teams have 1-2 college players they own the rights to coukd turn pro thus season and leave early.

The issue with getting a player to turn pro before leaving college usually means playing that season in the nhl but not every team has roster space to do that.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
It's funny because I view the ROR trade as the 2nd worst thing that was done to this franchise since Darcy left. The worst being the Evander Kane acquisition. Murray simply over spent on both.
There is a ROR trade for everyone to hate. At least they are trying to keep everyone happy!

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Literally all she does is the business side of things. Nobody knows how qualified she actually is for that
She is the President. She has input into the hiring and firing of management personel as evidenced from the xmas party incident. She sets the tone, which is within her domain, but do you really think an Yzerman or Lou L type would want to report to her? I don't.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
There is another decent one..I’m blanking on his name. He is a 4C after buffalo he played in Boston.

Remember it’s hard to distinguish who was a u drafted college pkayer vs doneine drafted without digging in the data.

Many teams have 1-2 college players they own the rights to coukd turn pro thus season and leave early.

The issue with getting a player to turn pro before leaving college usually means playing that season in the nhl but not every team has roster space to do that.
Schaller?

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The roster is really easy to fix.

Step 1: watch "Red Army" on NHL Network.
Step 2: trade for all Russians
Step 3: win, comrades.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Stafford surely has outplayed Kane ever since.
That 38 points were his highest he had since the trade followed by 21, 15 and 8 this season so far...
Looks like a keeper!
Whereas Kane is playing gangbusters for us. We can go round and round all we want, but at the end of the day the Kane/Myers trade is basically a wash for both teams.

Reactions: debaser66

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
She is the President. She has input into the hiring and firing of management personel as evidenced from the xmas party incident. She sets the tone, which is within her domain, but do you really think an Yzerman or Lou L type would want to report to her? I don't.
If you don't think that all owners have input into hiring and firing of the management of their teams, I'm not sure what to say. That's pretty much par for the course. Quality people throughout sports have also often worked for ownership that have perceived imperfections. Their issue continues to be that they've not hit on the right people yet more than anything else and they demonstrably made an attempt with the Babcock situation.

I am 100% with you on the need for them to go back to that sort of target in their next management hire, and it's entirely reasonable to criticize how often first time or inexperienced people in their roles have been hired.

Absent craziness in the role, like a Melnyk, etc. the most important thing is in ownership is willingness to invest resources, which is not an an issue here. TBH I think most of the teams where you can point to a idealized sort of key person in place, that generally is not something that was driven by their owner having some sort of special acumen.

Reactions: Reddawg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad