Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The other difference being that Murray traded away first round picks for mild upgrades at best and Botterill traded away an ECHL forward and three lottery tickets for a guy who is literally second in the league in goals. I don't have any doubt in the world that Skinner will be extended as soon as we can do so for the full 8 years.

Mild upgrade? An unknown 1st round pick for a 20+ yearly goal scorer...

Member 308457

I dont understand your disdain.

She knock you ice cream cone over or something?

She, as lifelong President, keeps picking the wrong people. The Pegulas have opened up their wallets, sure. But they are not smart.

Reactions: rabi

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Mild upgrade? An unknown 1st round pick for a 20+ yearly goal scorer...
You're right, I misspoke. We shipped out Stafford in the process of getting Kane, and then Stafford went 21-17-38 for Winnipeg while we got 20-15-35 out of Kane his first year. A mild downgrade.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You're right, I misspoke. We shipped out Stafford in the process of getting Kane, and then Stafford went 21-17-38 for Winnipeg while we got 20-15-35 out of Kane his first year. A mild downgrade.

Oh you’re using the guy that was a UFA to be who said he wasn’t resigning here? That’s funny

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Were back to Murray V Botts?
Both were pretty bad, but at least Murray traded FOR O’Reilly. He’ll always win any debate between the 2 for that fact alone.

Botterill's teams have averaged 73 pts per 82 games.

Murray's teams during his three full seasons as GM (including the McEichel tank season) averaged 71 pts per 82 games.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is this a team that would benefit being coached by John Tortorella? We can't get rid of half our roster and Tortorella sure would be a wakeup call.

No. The team can look demotivated at times but that isn't the reason for their struggles. The team is not talented enough to be successful. When you have a coach like Torts who blames 99% of failure on effort, it would just destroy the mental state of the players even more.

This team needs a coach that can create an environment where young guys can learn how to play effectively, and minimize the effect of vets that aren't good any more. The two kind of go hand-in-hand. Yeah young guys need someone to keep them accountable in terms of effort but I get the impression Torts can get in young players' heads and have a negative effect. Anyway, hes currently coaching a different team, so why does it matter?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Were back to Murray V Botts?
Both were pretty bad, but at least Murray traded FOR O’Reilly. He’ll always win any debate between the 2 for that fact alone.
To be fair to Botterill, he sat on his hands and did nothing and was able to luck into a franchise defenseman in Dahlin.

It actually worked so good for him last year that he’s doing it again.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Botterill's teams have averaged 73 pts per 82 games.

Murray's teams during his three full seasons as GM (including the McEichel tank season) averaged 71 pts per 82 games.
Ooooh Kay
Based on the Sabres pace for the past 30 games, they will finish the season with 78 pts, at which point Botts’ average will be 70.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Botts has made some questionable decisions but averaging point totals over 2 seasons is not a good way to analyze things.

College sports fans know you need to wait for a coach to get his guys in the door.

Now you can take Botts moves and say his long-term plan doesn't look good and that would be fair, but going off of points is really pointless

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Botts has made some questionable decisions but averaging point totals over 2 seasons is not a good way to analyze things.

College sports fans know you need to wait for a coach to get his guys in the door.

Now you can take Botts moves and say his long-term plan doesn't look good and that would be fair, but going off of points is really pointless

So, how do you judge the job a GM has done if not by looking at the on ice results of the team he manages?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The first year? You and I remember that very differently I guess. I remember Lehner being borderline horrible while The Chad was actually pretty good. The stats back that up as well, CJ won 22 of his 45 games with a 2.36/.920 while Lehner only won 5 out of his 21 starts with a worse GAA (slightly better SV%). Linus got almost as many starts that year as Lehner did and had three more wins.

.924 SP. But he could not win in OT or shootout

I was wrong about Johnson, I see. He actually was somewhat decent in the second half and put up a .920 SP

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Skinner is far from perfect, like all of our good players, but if we let him walk or trade him we have 2 top six forwards, and no way to get even a third, much less six. Unless you think Stone would be interested in coming here, which we have zero proof for. Where would they come from? Our firsts, three of which have probably a 50% chance combined to spit out one decent player? Five years from now? Casey has improved recently but still hemorrhages pucks left and right and likely won't be a good top 6 player next year yet.

Holy crap this roster. What a position we've put ourselves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad