Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not sure who cares about Syracuse unless you live there. Syracuse is a tool used by the Lightning.

This would gives us an idea where we will be going.

So you don't think winning the Calder then going back the next year had any impact on how good Johnson/Palat/Gudas turned out? Sure we use it like a red headed stepchild but there are great benefits to it as well. It's a great development league, look at the success there to our success now and you can see why.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So you don't think winning the Calder then going back the next year had any impact on how good Johnson/Palat/Gudas turned out? Sure we use it like a red headed stepchild but there are great benefits to it as well. It's a great development league, look at the success there to our success now and you can see why.

Yup. We've depleted it at times, but keeping that team competitive seems like an organizational priority. We've acquired/retained players who we know don't have much of an NHL future because they're important to the Crunch. Johnson and Palat in particular seem to have winning attitudes, because they learned what it takes to win, and win big.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not sure who cares about Syracuse unless you live there. Syracuse is a tool used by the Lightning.

Pretty much this. If Yzerman thinks Vasilevskiy is ready AND would make the NHL team better he wouldn't think twice about it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
To be more precise, Yzerman doesn't want to rush the Lightning's (extremely well drafted) prospects, so they spend a lot of time in the AHL, they have enough room to improve & become dominant in this league. When they're called-up most of the kids are "very" NHL ready so Yzerman is the boss no doubt but the main job for Syracuse is to develop the prospects properly... The Crunch's success is more a collateral effect than a tangible strategy.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

Look at Grand Rapids > Detroit as well for even more proof.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think the success of the Crunch is important, but it takes a back seat to the success of the Bolts (obviously). If Vasilevskiy gives the Lightning a better chance to win, then he gets the call in the playoffs over Nabokov. If that adversely affects the Crunch - that sucks, but that's what they're there for. Having a successful farm (normally) comes from having a good group of prospects, which AHL vets supplement but are secondary to. The Admirals/Crunch teams we had weren't great because we had the best AHL vets, but because we had kickass prospects with AHL vets for support.

I'm not for carrying three goaltenders if one of them is Vasya because it makes no sense for him to not be getting playing time, but if Bish goes down he's called up immediately, and if that hurts the Crunch so be it. I think there's just a bit of a disconnect between the discussions right now - no one is saying sacrifice the Crunch just because, but if it betters the Lightning I'm willing to do it. Look at last year's Crunch team - pretty bad, but two big parts of that, Nesterov and Namestnikov, have played in the NHL and looked good doing it.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think the success of the Crunch is important, but it takes a back seat to the success of the Bolts (obviously). If Vasilevskiy gives the Lightning a better chance to win, then he gets the call in the playoffs over Nabokov. If that adversely affects the Crunch - that sucks, but that's what they're there for. Having a successful farm (normally) comes from having a good group of prospects, which AHL vets supplement but are secondary to. The Admirals/Crunch teams we had weren't great because we had the best AHL vets, but because we had kickass prospects with AHL vets for support.

I'm not for carrying three goaltenders if one of them is Vasya because it makes no sense for him to not be getting playing time, but if Bish goes down he's called up immediately, and if that hurts the Crunch so be it. I think there's just a bit of a disconnect between the discussions right now - no one is saying sacrifice the Crunch just because, but if it betters the Lightning I'm willing to do it. Look at last year's Crunch team - pretty bad, but two big parts of that, Nesterov and Namestnikov, have played in the NHL and looked good doing it.

To be fair however, while Namestnikov was an impact player for the Crunch last season. Nesterov was not, he was struggling pretty bad up until the last few weeks of the regular season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be more precise, Yzerman doesn't want to rush the Lightning's (extremely well drafted) prospects, so they spend a lot of time in the AHL, they have enough room to improve & become dominant in this league. When they're called-up most of the kids are "very" NHL ready so Yzerman is the boss no doubt but the main job for Syracuse is to develop the prospects properly... The Crunch's success is more a collateral effect than a tangible strategy.

I think the Crunch having success is part of Yzerman's development plan. He's talked about building a winning culture in the minors. Kids learn to win down there and bring an expectation to win with them to the NHL. It obviously takes a backseat to TB's success, but I think Yzerman takes the success of the Crunch pretty seriously.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I don't expect the Bolts to make any major moves. We are not one good player away from being a cup team. Our young guys are coming along but need more experience. Can't see Steve going all in trading our younger players for a cup run. Steve is looking further out and sticking to his guns to build a dynasty team like Detroit had.
I expect only a solid rental D-man and perhaps we flip a draft pick for it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't expect the Bolts to make any major moves. We are not one good player away from being a cup team. Our young guys are coming along but need more experience. Can't see Steve going all in trading our younger players for a cup run. Steve is looking further out and sticking to his guns to build a dynasty team like Detroit had.

On NHL live last night Bobby Mac was mentioning us being interested in Michalek. I'm sure by the end of all star weekend he'll be a bolt, just finalizing what pick and if Arizona retains. Hopefully we can get him for just our 3rd with about 25% retention, we gave them Gagner for nothing and he's doing well so I can see them taking the later of the two 3rd's.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
On NHL live last night Bobby Mac was mentioning us being interested in Michalek. I'm sure by the end of all star weekend he'll be a bolt, just finalizing what pick and if Arizona retains. Hopefully we can get him for just our 3rd with about 25% retention, we gave them Gagner for nothing and he's doing well so I can see them taking the later of the two 3rd's.

I didn't know they were considering Michalek. We need some inexpensive insurance until we get our guys back before the playoffs and in case they don't make it back. Next year we bring another guy up. Wit didn't look bad in his debut and Slater is in the wings.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I didn't know they were considering Michalek. We need some inexpensive insurance until we get our guys back before the playoffs and in case they don't make it back. Next year we bring another guy up. Wit didn't look bad in his debut and Slater is in the wings.

It makes sense they would as he's a veteran RD which we could use. If Gudas even comes back Michalek does what he can but better which allows Witkowski to go back to Syracuse. Pair him with Carle to cover for the mistakes he's going to make, our PK should improve with him too. The cost is also cheaper then Sekera and Arizona wouldn't mind retaining which leaves us space to get a vet forward if we wanted.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It makes sense they would as he's a veteran RD which we could use. If Gudas even comes back Michalek does what he can but better which allows Witkowski to go back to Syracuse. Pair him with Carle to cover for the mistakes he's going to make, our PK should improve with him too. The cost is also cheaper then Sekera and Arizona wouldn't mind retaining which leaves us space to get a vet forward if we wanted.

All good points and agreed on heartily by me. Michalek won't be our savior and I've seen him struggle at times too but he's a very good option and likely wouldn't be an insane cost either.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL

This. This is what Steve probably does. No fault to him. This team can be a powerhouse for the next several years... don't blow it for one year

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd love to see us trade Bishop for D and go for it. Vasi for the playoffs. It's not going to happen though

So to "go for it", you want to risk the most vital position in the playoffs? Vasi isn't better than Bishop and goaltenders don't return very much.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
So to "go for it", you want to risk the most vital position in the playoffs? Vasi isn't better than Bishop and goaltenders don't return very much.

Exactly why it won't happen. I don't think Bishop can carry us to a cup... personal opinion. I love the guy but he's untested in the playoffs and outside of last season hasn't been that consistent. I hope he can carry us in the playoffs... he's who will be in net

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'd love to see us trade Bishop for D and go for it. Vasi for the playoffs. It's not going to happen though

Exactly why it won't happen. I don't think Bishop can carry us to a cup... personal opinion. I love the guy but he's untested in the playoffs and outside of last season hasn't been that consistent. I hope he can carry us in the playoffs... he's who will be in net

If we had Bishop perform at his current .914 SV% and 2.34 GAA instead of Stinkback in the playoffs last season we wouldn't have went down 0-4 in the 1st round. While not as consistently stellar as last season the guy has single-handedly stolen us several points this season.

You argue he is untested in the playoffs and yet you want to replace him with a goalie who has played a whooping 4 NHL games his entire career?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The most I see SFY doing is a rental at, or near the TD, and will only do that if the price is not too steep. He is building for the long term, and will not waste assets (players of picks) trying for a quick fix. He is a craftsman, not someone happy to use duct tape and super glue, to try to patch things.

Learn patience, Grashopper

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The most I see SFY doing is a rental at, or near the TD, and will only do that if the price is not too steep. He is building for the long term, and will not waste assets (players of picks) trying for a quick fix. He is a craftsman, not someone happy to use duct tape and super glue, to try to patch things.

Learn patience, Grashopper

Yes but you also must strike while the iron is hot and ours will be for this and 1 or 2 more seasons. Then the cap will break this roster apart. So make the move now or wait to do the same thing next year? That's the real question to me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes but you also must strike while the iron is hot and ours will be for this and 1 or 2 more seasons. Then the cap will break this roster apart. So make the move now or wait to do the same thing next year? That's the real question to me.

We're likely to lose a player or two along the way, but our window isn't closing in 2 years.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

We're likely to lose a player or two along the way, but our window isn't closing in 2 years.

I'd be more inclined to think our window starts in 2 years--Drouin will likely open his biggest scoring years (given the rest of the talent on the roster I think he arrives earlier), hopefully Yzerman will have Carle dumped, Stammer and Kucherov get their new contracts, Palat will still be fresh (given his playstyle), and Koekkoek finally joins the big club (at the latest, I'm guessing). Not even taking into consideration futures-yet-unpicked, we still have Anthony DeAngelo, Erne, maybe Point and Marchesseaulxludfl;akjsd rounding into form. Bishop is a question mark at that point, but luckily we have a good backup :sarcasm:

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Steve Y has done a great job and especially the creative cap moves last year that allowed us to add Garrison , Stralman, Morrow and Boyle. This year there is less opportunity to do something like that. Getting Stammer signed to an extension is Steve's number one priority and that obviously is going limit us somewhat with other moves cap wise.
Yes, a cap move (Carle, Flip, etc.) to make room for AHL players to move up or maybe an UFA will happen but I don't expect it for another year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad