New professional hockey league is launching in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I’m a bit skeptical about this league. First off, there’s already a 3 on 3 summer league called 3ice. They’ve been around for several years now. They have a tv deal with CBS and TSN. It’s a fun league and it’s nice to have hockey on tv in the summer, but their marketing is terrible. Unfortunately, most hockey fans don’t even know 3ice exists. This Major League Hockey has a lot of work to do. How are they going to start a league so quickly? They don’t even have a website yet. Securing 16 arena leases and a tv deal in just a few months won’t be easy.
I knew about Da Beauty League but literally never heard of 3ice

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This is another absolutely insane Saudi idea. Why waste money with this ? Start a competing international racing series against F1. That would work. This wont

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
If you are going straight up 3-on-3 you might as well erase all pretense of it being hockey and get rid of the blue lines and light the puck on fire. Once per period you can launch extra pucks onto the ice from cannons. View attachment 868159
If they're not turning those cannons around and firing them directly at the crowd, I'm not interested. I mean, if they're going to do it, do it right.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
#1. Anything that Steve Dangled douche says rots my brain
#2. What makes this a “professional “ league? Because they say so? The NHL sucks, offering up an even crappier version will surely do amazingly well

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
3 on 3, which sucks, full time, funded by the Saudis?

Damn, you couldn't pitch me a less compelling idea. Maybe a shootout only league funded by ISIS.

the rules would clearly be changed to make 3 on 3 less of a snooze fest. Something about a shot clock or not being able to backtrack out of the zone.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Huh. Who would've guessed that hockey would be popular enough to attract the attention of a Saudi sportswashing venture? Not me.

This whole situation seems very suspect, not least of all Steve Dangle being the one to break this story.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Love this idea! I think it could be a ton of fun. Not sure why people sound so negative about it. Don't watch if you don't like it.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
giphy.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Love this idea! I think it could be a ton of fun. Not sure why people sound so negative about it. Don't watch if you don't like it.
Because gatekeeping your favourite sport from sketchy (probably just evil if we’re being honest) foreign investors starting gimmicky leagues in your backyard is a good thing, actually.

And we won’t be.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Because gatekeeping your favourite sport from sketchy (probably just evil of we’re being honest) foreign investors starting gimmicky leagues in your backyard is a good thing actually.

And we won’t be.

Don't be like that. They're the U.S.' best friend. Nothing evil about that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I always thought hockey was too small of a sport to ever get any interest from the Saudis. But I guess when you've got an endless pit of money you can have a few side projects.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Wouldn't this be great for hockey if it generated more fans?

I couldn't bother reading if it actually has anything to do with Saudi money, but if it does, I hope it ends up wasting every penny and failing spectacularly.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fans already hate 3 on 3 when the NHL does it, why would a full league of it go anywhere? Players who want to play in the NHL aren't leaving just cause of the money. They want to play in the best league in the world and this new whatever will never be it.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Sounds like the hockey equivalent of LIV Golf…Saudi’s getting in on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad