Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Off season acquisition no one has talked about....Johnny Boychuk. I think he would add what we need on the back end. How much he will ask for on the open market though will be wild. Anyone's guess. I can see Boychuk getting 5.5 from someone.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Off season acquisition no one has talked about....Johnny Boychuk. I think he would add what we need on the back end. How much he will ask for on the open market though will be wild. Anyone's guess. I can see Boychuk getting 5.5 from someone.

Yeah if he doesn't sign with the Islanders. He's pretty much the ideal 2nd pairing guy.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Yeah if he doesn't sign with the Islanders. He's pretty much the ideal 2nd pairing guy.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I doubt he would take the same deal as Stralman, but if he was willing to take 4 years 5 - 5.5 million, I would be ok with that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Unless we move Carle we can't afford him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Depends. Breaks down to how fast an extension can be hammered out for Stamkos. Moving Carle would be ideal though.

The Stamkos extension won't affect anything this offseason. We could sign Boychuk because we have roughly 5mil coming off the books that can go to him. It would hamper us from doing anything else as well as making Hedman our 5th highest paid defender. Carle would need to go before I brought in another vet D unless it was a cheap one year deal.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm starting to get really ticked off by the offers we supposedely forced to accept in the trade/free agent section.

I understand that it's always like that with a team that got a bunch of young studs going strong but in our case it's ALWAYS garbage Canadian teams that want to trade their "elite" wingers with attitude issues. :rant:

We always have to give up our players we drafted in top 5 or top prospects in the league for the players they want to get rid of more than people want them.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
3.65 million has already been committed to Bishop's extension. Although none of our RFAs this year should command very big raises (and could feasibly trade or walk from a few that don't have long term futures here), re-signing them will collectively suck up the rest of the newly cleared space. Further, it would be foolish to add new long term big contracts considering all the cap space required for 2016 and 2017 re-signings of our core. There just isn't enough cap flexibility to sign another UFA top 4 Defenseman this offseason. Trading for one needs to be cap neutral or better, and at that point, likely is just a lateral move for movings sake. Renting a UFA to be seems the safest bet for surviving the injuries. Eric Brewer 2.0 incoming, shocked if the return is much greater as I don't expect Yzerman to pay any premiums (re:roster players or top prospects) to fill this 'need', later picks and/or lesser prospects only for rentals.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
vZQBjPd.jpg

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic.html

Oh dear god. Things went wrong really fast for Toronto. It's a shame they just gave Phaneuf that massive contract, cause he could have been a guy we would want to help us through these unlucky times. Not with that contract though. Franson could be an answer, short term at least.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I'm starting to get really ticked off by the offers we supposedely forced to accept in the trade/free agent section.

I understand that it's always like that with a team that got a bunch of young studs going strong but in our case it's ALWAYS garbage Canadian teams that want to trade their "elite" wingers with attitude issues. :rant:

We always have to give up our players we drafted in top 5 or top prospects in the league for the players they want to get rid of more than people want them.

Dude, welcome to the internet. This is the same place where someone got 40 grand to make potato salad. Everything is overvalued haha. Don't worry, I don't see SFY trading one of our young players that he really believes in. Let the forums talk about all the pointless things that they would like.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Oh dear god. Things went wrong really fast for Toronto. It's a shame they just gave Phaneuf that massive contract, cause he could have been a guy we would want to help us through these unlucky times. Not with that contract though. Franson could be an answer, short term at least.

yeah, that contract. contract bad. also bad? phaneuf himself.

if you want a vision of that future, imagine a shoe stepping on a dog turd, 82 times in a row.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
I suggested Namestnikov+2 1sts this year+Carle for Brent Burns. I think Vladdy is too good to play 3C, and I think Flip can be the perfect 3C for the duration of his contract (perhaps with exception to the final year if Stevie thinks he needs to be traded or could be flipped for decent futures). Burns is signed for 2 years after this one @ 5.667m, IIRC.

Burns can play the right side for Garrison, who becomes the "responsible" member of the pairing, and he's capable of playing as a power forward on the right wing (as well as PPQB experience, I think).

Thoughts?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I suggested Namestnikov+2 1sts this year+Carle for Brent Burns. I think Vladdy is too good to play 3C, and I think Flip can be the perfect 3C for the duration of his contract (perhaps with exception to the final year if Stevie thinks he needs to be traded or could be flipped for decent futures). Burns is signed for 2 years after this one @ 5.667m, IIRC.

Burns can play the right side for Garrison, who becomes the "responsible" member of the pairing, and he's capable of playing as a power forward on the right wing (as well as PPQB experience, I think).

Thoughts?

Brent Burns would be amazing in Tampa. Don't think we get him because that price you outlined is absolutely huge. Yzerman won't trade Flip's replacement and you're not moving Carle easily due to the injury(even with full disclosure).

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
yeah, that contract. contract bad. also bad? phaneuf himself.

if you want a vision of that future, imagine a shoe stepping on a dog turd, 82 times in a row.

Eh, I still think Phaneuf is a serviceable 2nd pairing Dman. Problem is that Toronto Pay him and play him like a top pairing, #1 defenceman. That just doesn't work well.

Here's hoping that Sustr finds his rhythm, and can just eat the time that Carle's missing, cause if he can step up, we might be ok in all of this.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Brent Burns would be amazing in Tampa. Don't think we get him because that price you outlined is absolutely huge. Yzerman won't trade Flip's replacement and you're not moving Carle easily due to the injury(even with full disclosure).

I think by the time we're done with Flip we can find a suitable replacement with less trade value than Namestnikov.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think by the time we're done with Flip we can find a suitable replacement with less trade value than Namestnikov.

Yup and despite all the progress Vlad is making he's still a long shot to make this team full-time in the next 2-3 years, shouldn't hamper his development if he's NHL ready, I'd be down for trading him too.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Just throwing this out there... the Ducks just put Mark Fistric on waivers.

17-19 TOI, hitter, stay at home, reasonably sound defenseman

I just recall a long time ago when #19 was dealt to Dallas for Smitty et al that many were pissed that Fistric wasn't one of the players coming back

Just throwing it out there

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yup and despite all the process Vlad is making he's still a long shot to make this team full-time in the next 2-3 years, shouldn't hamper his development if he's NHL ready, I'd be down for trading him too.

I believe he's waiver eligible next season so we won't have 2-3 years to make a decision.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just throwing this out there... the Ducks just put Mark Fistric on waivers.

17-19 TOI, hitter, stay at home, reasonably sound defenseman

I just recall a long time ago when #19 was dealt to Dallas for Smitty et al that many were pissed that Fistric wasn't one of the players coming back

Just throwing it out there

Would he go through to us? How many teams could claim him before us?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Would he go through to us? How many teams could claim him before us?

"If one club makes a claim for a player, then that player is transferred to that club. If more than one club makes a claim, the one with the lowest points in the standings receives the player, unless the claim is made outside the season (ie. during the playoffs or preseason) or before November 1st, in which case the team who finished lowest in the previous season receives the player. If the teams are tied, then a series of tiebreakers are used."

So basically 25 teams could claim him before us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille