Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What about JVR from Toronto? Watching some Kessel highlights, this guy has insane playmaking abilities and is able to find Kessel in the open slot, loves to drive the net as well as being a great "rush" player which Stamkos needs. A power forward type game with playmaking and goal scoring abilities.

Fire sale might be incoming from TO, he's signed to a 4.25m deal for 3 more years, we have the assets to make it happen.

JVR-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What about JVR from Toronto? Watching some Kessel highlights, this guy has insane playmaking abilities and is able to find Kessel in the open slot, loves to drive the net as well as being a great "rush" player which Stamkos needs. A power forward type game with playmaking and goal scoring abilities.

Fire sale might be incoming from TO, he's signed to a 4.25m deal for 3 more years, we have the assets to make it happen.

JVR-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan

He'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure if he'd be included in a firesale. Or at least not at a price we could stomach. Maybe something like both firsts + Connolly + a defense prospect? I really don't know. Rumor has it (from Lebrun, I believe) that Shanahan wants to build through drafting and developing, so our 1sts might be enticing enough to get them to listen.

You hear about a lot of Leafs being available, but he's rarely, if ever, one of them, so they might be looking at him as part of the solution. But then again, who knows, with what passes for reporting in Toronto.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure if he'd be included in a firesale. Or at least not at a price we could stomach. Maybe something like both firsts + Connolly + a defense prospect? I really don't know. Rumor has it (from Lebrun, I believe) that Shanahan wants to build through drafting and developing, so our 1sts might be enticing enough to get them to listen.

You hear about a lot of Leafs being available, but he's rarely, if ever, one of them, so they might be looking at him as part of the solution. But then again, who knows, with what passes for reporting in Toronto.

If that's the price I'd easily pass. Way too much for something we don't really need. If they want Killorn + a 1st then deal. He's not super physical so he reminds me of a more offensive Killorn. Rather use those pieces for a D.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Sekera would be ideal, Zidlicky next. Larsson, not really sure what his value would be these days.

EDIT: Didn't really see Spurgeon. He'd be alright too.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
"RAWR CARLE IS TERRIBLE DEFENSIVELY"

"Lets trade for Yandle!"

Carle is also terrible offensively, while Yandle isn't. We've been lacking offense from the blue line this season - I think Yandle would really help our team game, and especially the PP.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Carle is also terrible offensively, while Yandle isn't. We've been lacking offense from the blue line this season - I think Yandle would really help our team game, and especially the PP.

4-10-14 at the halfway point and on pace for about 30 for the year, even for an off year with a new partner and battling injury for 15ish games, yet is still more consistent in his zone.

Yandle has ridiculous amounts of zone starts against okay competition and is still a wreck defensively. Pass, pass, pass.

Michalek, like I mentioned about 2-3 weeks ago, should be the target. We need someone stable to either run with Carle if/when he comes back, or Hedman, or whomever. Great defense will help generate more offense.

I do agree with your reference to the blueline not generating enough offense right now, it really is an issue, but i'd rather focus on goal prevention and protecting Bishop a little more. Thats what will generally be the difference maker in the playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
4-10-14 at the halfway point and on pace for about 30 for the year, even for an off year with a new partner and battling injury for 15ish games, yet is still more consistent in his zone.

Yandle has ridiculous amounts of zone starts against okay competition and is still a wreck defensively. Pass, pass, pass.

Michalek, like I mentioned about 2-3 weeks ago, should be the target. We need someone stable to either run with Carle if/when he comes back, or Hedman, or whomever. Great defense will help generate more offense.

I do agree with your reference to the blueline not generating enough offense right now, it really is an issue, but i'd rather focus on goal prevention and protecting Bishop a little more. Thats what will generally be the difference maker in the playoffs.

Off year? this is one of his better years since being here and that's saying a lot, he's not that good at all, stable enough to hold a job in the NHL but he's definition of a plug. Yandle has 60 point+ potential and kills it on the PP, I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for him but he'd certainly help the team more than Carle does.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
BP's list for potential trade targets to improve our D:

Cody Franson
Jared Spurgeon
Zbynek Michalek
Jeff Petry
Justin Schultz
Keith Yandle
Andrej Sekera
Josh Gorges
Marek Zidlicky
Adam Larsson

Details on each and a general Q&A: http://www.boltprospects.com/content/boltprospects-mailbag-1-25-15

That was a really good article to read. Some great info in it.
I'll be really curious to see what happens in the coming weeks. Thats a solid list of defensemen options. All depends what the kids do though. I doubt we go after Larsson or Schultz right now if we already have so much uncertainty on our blueline... but I also doubt we go and payout for Yandle or Franson either, because there will be a bidding war on them. I wonder where this is going to end.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was a really good article to read. Some great info in it.
I'll be really curious to see what happens in the coming weeks. Thats a solid list of defensemen options. All depends what the kids do though. I doubt we go after Larsson or Schultz right now if we already have so much uncertainty on our blueline... but I also doubt we go and payout for Yandle or Franson either, because there will be a bidding war on them. I wonder where this is going to end.

I don't think there'll be a huge bidding war on Franson. Yandle will get the most attention, and Sekera will likely get the most UFA attention. Franson is a real option for us, I think, because he fits the description of a guy who could help solve our PP woes.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't think there'll be a huge bidding war on Franson. Yandle will get the most attention, and Sekera will likely get the most UFA attention. Franson is a real option for us, I think, because he fits the description of a guy who could help solve our PP woes.

The question is would Toronto trade Franson to a divisional rival?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The question is would Toronto trade Franson to a divisional rival?

I think so, because I think Toronto is about to tear it down. I believe it was Lebrun (I could be wrong) who said he didn't think Kessel would be a Leaf come June. It seems like the only thing keeping them from trading Phaneuf is the contract. So in this situation, if the Leafs truly do believe they're a few years from competing in any serious way, I don't think there would be any issues about the division. They'll just try to get the best deal they can.

On Toronto radio his value is getting placed at something like a 2nd + a prospect. We have Edmonton's 3rd, which is almost a 2nd, and we have expendable prospects who are better than most teams' decent prospects. We also have an extra 1st, if it came to that.

I find it really hard to judge Franson's D though because he plays for Toronto, which is such a collective trainwreck that you have to believe some of these guys would play better with some actual structure and an actual coaching staff.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Off year? this is one of his better years since being here and that's saying a lot, he's not that good at all, stable enough to hold a job in the NHL but he's definition of a plug. Yandle has 60 point+ potential and kills it on the PP, I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for him but he'd certainly help the team more than Carle does.

This is actually his worst year since he's been here, offensively. He gets little to no PP time to inflate his stats. He produces well 5 on 5. He averages over 30 points a season which is good for a middle pair defender. He has flaws defensively but most D do, Hedman has had many bad games this year while Stralman has a bunch lately.

Yandle has never had a 60 point season so not sure how he'll be good for 60+. He's a PP machine with almost half his career points coming on the PP. Defensively he's similar to Carle but Carle plays tougher minutes and PK which Yandle doesn't. He would help the PP but the cost to obtain is going to be too high.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is actually his worst year since he's been here, offensively. He gets little to no PP time to inflate his stats. He produces well 5 on 5. He averages over 30 points a season which is good for a middle pair defender. He has flaws defensively but most D do, Hedman has had many bad games this year while Stralman has a bunch lately.

Yandle has never had a 60 point season so not sure how he'll be good for 60+. He's a PP machine with almost half his career points coming on the PP. Defensively he's similar to Carle but Carle plays tougher minutes and PK which Yandle doesn't. He would help the PP but the cost to obtain is going to be too high.

Carle was brutal in that half season, and Carle was horrible taking tough minutes this year, he only started looking decent when moved to the third pairing. Yandle's hit 59 and 53 points in Arizona, 60 points is definitely in the realm of possibility if he were on the Lightning.

Even with PP time his point totals wouldn't go up by much, why? Because he sucks on it and is ineffective hence why he doesn't play on the PP. Agreed that his cost is too high but he certainly brings more to the table than Carle.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I can't see Yzerman paying the price for a guy like Sekera or Yandle. I can see him having a jab at Sekera as a free agent if he can off-load Carle.

I think Michalek could be our guy, RHD who has a bit of physicality in his game and can really get under the skin of the opponent. I never enjoyed playing against him when he was with the Pens.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carle was brutal in that half season, and Carle was horrible taking tough minutes this year, he only started looking decent when moved to the third pairing. Yandle's hit 59 and 53 points in Arizona, 60 points is definitely in the realm of possibility if he were on the Lightning.

Even with PP time his point totals wouldn't go up by much, why? Because he sucks on it and is ineffective hence why he doesn't play on the PP. Agreed that his cost is too high but he certainly brings more to the table than Carle.

Carle has had his issues since he arrived but him playing heavy minutes has allowed Hedman to take a more offensive role and flourish. Rather Carle getting abused out there then our #1, which Hedman still does occasionally.

Carle put up 26 points on the PP one season and 14 in another, he's good in the right situation. His shot sucks but he could be a productive QB if used properly. With us trying to feed Stamkos him being a lefty doesn't work. So Yandle might struggle to produce highly too.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think the Leafs are about to blow it up. Not sure if there's anything there we'd be interested in. Franson?

As a Leafs fan I don't see Franson worth the cost to your team.

Your team is good for offence and all of Garrison, Stralman, Hedman, Carle bring an offensive element.

I see Polak as a much better player to target at a lower cost and he comes with another year at a very affordable 2.9 caphit. Polak is a #4/5 solid physical stay at home Dman who will drop the gloves to help bring more toughness and is excellent on the PK. Having him around to play the PK and defensive zone starts would help free up some minutes for your top 4 to play more offensive minutes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As a Leafs fan I don't see Franson worth the cost to your team.

Your team is good for offence and all of Garrison, Stralman, Hedman, Carle bring an offensive element.

I see Polak as a much better player to target at a lower cost and he comes with another year at a very affordable 2.9 caphit. Polak is a #4/5 solid physical stay at home Dman who will drop the gloves to help bring more toughness and is excellent on the PK. Having him around to play the PK and defensive zone starts would help free up some minutes for your top 4 to play more offensive minutes.

Despite our good offense, our PP is probably the single biggest concern we have at the moment, and there's a thought that the thing we need most is a right handed QB who can make a quick pass to Stamkos. Seems Cooper buys into this theory, since we have Stralman, rather than Hedman, on the 1st unit, but Stralman isn't exactly ideal for the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad