Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Are you guys talking about james wisniewski ? it would be a decent add but he has two years term left on his deal we need money for stamkos and kucherov by then. unless you move killorn and maybe blue jackets retain 1.5 million per season.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Leaving PK Subban off the Olympic team was a very real option for Yzerman. Not because of talent. Because of handedness. And PK barely played once he made the team. Because of handedness. It's a big deal.

Of GMs, Yzerman's might well be the biggest proponent of lefties playing the left side, righties playing the right. When Carle returns all the lefty spots will be taken and we still have Barbs and Nesterov. Unless one of those guys moves out, I think chances of us acquiring a lefty are almost zero.

Easier solution, trade Carle for Yandle:D

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Leaving PK Subban off the Olympic team was a very real option for Yzerman. Not because of talent. Because of handedness. And PK barely played once he made the team. Because of handedness. It's a big deal.

Of GMs, Yzerman's might well be the biggest proponent of lefties playing the left side, righties playing the right. When Carle returns all the lefty spots will be taken and we still have Barbs and Nesterov. Unless one of those guys moves out, I think chances of us acquiring a lefty are almost zero.

people got to listen to yzerman he said wdae if they do anything it will be for a rhd otherwise they stand pat and he is ok with that. i agree we don't get another lefty for sure unless it's a really good upcoming young guy.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Petry would be a great pickup at the right price. Makes the most sense in terms of trade costs, contract, and needs. Don't want to see a massive splash made.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I guess it's old news by now but since he was discussed earlier in here: Bergenheim and a 7th to Minny for a 3rd.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
weill see stevie passed on gormley for connolly at the 2010 draft

No he didn't. Yzerman had nothing to do with that draft other than showing up.

Wiz is an effing dumpster fire on D. It's quite noticeable. Yandle is as good, or better, offensively and not quite as terrible on D. If we're going big, we might as well go for the biggest.

I agree, but it's not like we have a better option. Any benefit of getting Wiz (RH) disappear because of just how bad he is on D. If you can find an equal RHD that we can maybe get, please let us know because I can't think of any that's feasible right now.

He is nowhere near terrible in his own end. I would actually compare him to Carle defensively. Which contrary to popular belief is an ok thing. He is solid enough and the offense he brings more than makes up for any gaffes. You know who the best defenders are? The ones who have the puck on their stick and making plays, not the ones defending all the time.

Are you guys talking about james wisniewski ? it would be a decent add but he has two years term left on his deal we need money for stamkos and kucherov by then. unless you move killorn and maybe blue jackets retain 1.5 million per season.

Money wouldn't be a problem now or in the future with some small moves here and there or Columbus simply retaining like 25%, which is possible depending on return. Wouldn't even have to move Carle.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No he didn't. Yzerman had nothing to do with that draft other than showing up.

He is nowhere near terrible in his own end. I would actually compare him to Carle defensively. Which contrary to popular belief is an ok thing. He is solid enough and the offense he brings more than makes up for any gaffes. You know who the best defenders are? The ones who have the puck on their stick and making plays, not the ones defending all the time.

Money wouldn't be a problem now or in the future with some small moves here and there or Columbus simply retaining like 25%, which is possible depending on return. Wouldn't even have to move Carle.

Yzerman didn't pass but Gormley is 23 and hasn't even locked down a bottom pair spot.

Carle is better then him in every way but on the PP.

Even if the retain 25% it won't work beyond this year. His 4.15 + 3.5 Bishop raise and 1mil Gudas LTIR puts us over the cap. We only lose 5 and that puts us over. Connolly needs to be resigned as well as one of Sustr/Barberio. We'd need to move Carle or Garrison out so we have some cap room.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

I've gotta agree, the issue can be boiled down to Sustr simply playing over his head right now. If he can be pushed down to 3rd pairing for this season then he's in a spot he can probably handle given his experience. Maybe in time he'll be a top 4

If we don't make a trade then I would expect them to move Garrison back to the right side when everyone is healthy because we aren't gonna go far in the playoffs with Sustr in the top 4. I'd rather have Nesterov/Barberio on the bottom pair than Sustr in the top 4

Hedman-Stralman
Carle-Garrison
Nesterov-Gudas/Sustr
Barberio-Witkowski

So a Dman that can play top 4 minutes on the right side is the most important thing. Then you can push Carle down to make a strong 3rd pairing.

If the Dman is good on the PP it would be even better since we don't have a righty pp option on the point other than Stralman who i'd rather be a 2nd option. Stamkos has been tried there but he should be on the dot

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Elliot Freidman of Sportsnet mentioned this earlier.

"Roman Polak might be a fit in Tampa as they are looking for someone with term."

I'm not buying into the Roman Polak part but it's interesting that we're looking for another defensman with term. If true I would assume we're only interested in a RHD if taking on term.

There is only 2 defensman "available" that I want on this roster and they're Michalek and Yandle. Let's hope Yzerman gets this done.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Elliot Freidman of Sportsnet mentioned this earlier.

"Roman Polak might be a fit in Tampa as they are looking for someone with term."

I'm not buying into the Roman Polak part but it's interesting that we're looking for another defensman with term. If true I would assume we're only interested in a RHD if taking on term.

There is only 2 defensman "available" that I want on this roster and they're Michalek and Yandle. Let's hope Yzerman gets this done.

If that's the case (we're looking for term) that should mean one of our young defenders is on his way out eh?

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
If that's the case (we're looking for term) that should mean one of our young defenders is on his way out eh?

I took that as Friedman spitballing, although Polak's a reasonable, if underwhelming, fallback. The person that should dislike this idea the most is Radko Gudas.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
+ a prospect

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
As @TSNAaronWard reported, CAR trades Sekera to LAK for 1st round pick and a prospect.

Well, Sekera's off our list. Kinda ironic since he was (to an extent) brought in to replace the now injured Martinez. You know, the guy Paquette caught admiring his pass...

Also of note: Both Sekera and Franson got their former team a 1st rounder. We have two of them but is Y willing to part with one of them?

In other news: Tlusty (Jets) and Winnik (Pens) have been traded as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well, Sekera's off our list. Kinda ironic since he was (to an extent) brought in to replace the now injured Martinez. You know, the guy Paquette caught admiring his pass...

Also of note: Both Sekera and Franson got their former team a 1st rounder. We have two of them but is Y willing to part with one of them?

TBF, Franson didn't return a first rounder. Santorelli was not a throw-in. That being said - if this is what the rental market is like, I'd rather stand pat.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Actually its sounding more and more like its to replace Voynov, fwiw

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
TBF, Franson didn't return a first rounder. Santorelli was not a throw-in. That being said - if this is what the rental market is like, I'd rather stand pat.

Leafs fans are gloating that Winnik got their 2nd. Just wait, if Petry is in a deal with a 1st involved (regardless of the number of moving parts) we're never going to hear the end of it. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad