Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Would he go through to us? How many teams could claim him before us?

Have to be careful how I phrase this but the "consensus" is he would most likely clear. That said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he didn't.

I only threw that out there as, although pretty unlikely, if he were to be claimed by us we'd only be giving up two things

A roster spot
*Salary

He's not the flashy top 4 guy everyone else is clamoring for. His game isn't flashy. Just a lunch pail, blue collar, stay at homer who plays the body, can play up down minutes (17-19 on average), etc. Not saying the world ends if he doesn't make it here, just I would understand why if they did claim him. Weighing all the other options/scenarios, this to me would be the least outlay involved. That's just me,

He has another year left on his deal, we need someone for this season only.

* ^ Salary - He's got 2 years left - AAV - $1.267 million

And I agree, to some extent, ideally you'd only want someone for this season only. Getting to the offseason and exploring additions via FA. That's the next safest play.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Just throwing this out there... the Ducks just put Mark Fistric on waivers.

17-19 TOI, hitter, stay at home, reasonably sound defenseman

I just recall a long time ago when #19 was dealt to Dallas for Smitty et al that many were pissed that Fistric wasn't one of the players coming back

Just throwing it out there

I think that's actually a good idea, at least to try him out on the cheap. He has been an effective stay at home D, just like you said, for multiple seasons before.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Benny Bishop is certainly a very good goalieman, but this team needs a capable upbacking if Benny is to be sidelined for longer period of time. Judging the results past, Nabby is no longer NHL-calibrated backup. So the situation is as follows - either bring up the best man from AHL or trade for a nice upback. The choice is up to Yzerman, I think.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Benny Bishop is certainly a very good goalieman, but this team needs a capable upbacking if Benny is to be sidelined for longer period of time. Judging the results past, Nabby is no longer NHL-calibrated backup. So the situation is as follows - either bring up the best man from AHL or trade for a nice upback. The choice is up to Yzerman, I think.

That can be done pretty cheaply. The hunt for the D-man is quite a bit more concerning.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think the Leafs are about to blow it up. Not sure if there's anything there we'd be interested in. Franson?

I think we could use him if the price was right. A second rounder in 2016 and mediocre prospect. I think he would be willing to re sign as well.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
To anyone asking for Franson, I say no, stop, don't.

His value is as follows:
Fantasy hockey: HUGE

Real hockey: small

An OFD who loves to pinch while lacking footspeed and goes out of his positional spot to try and throw hits. What could go wrong?

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'd love to see Mark Methot don a Lightning sweater. He's a lefty and Ottawa will likely have an unreasonable price tag on him.

If we could get our hands on Boychuck this off season that would be huge, I think that could almost tip us as favorites going into the 2015/16 season.

We also need a backup, I know Broudeur had a pretty average stint with the Blues but I think he's a pretty solid option.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We also need a backup, I know Broudeur had a pretty average stint with the Blues but I think he's a pretty solid option.

NO MORE ANCIENT BACKUPS!

You'll spend every ****ing start waiting for the wheels to come off. No more. Never again. It's a bad ****ing idea.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If he comes and has a playoff run like Roly without that whole "season after" thing, i'd be fine with it.

He wouldn't put up close to the performance Roli did. Huge no to Brodeur, he's washed up now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Brodeur may be done but he's still better then Nabokov. Not sure how many back to backs we have left which is all we need him for. I would trust him more then Nabokov in the playoffs too. Vasilevskiy and Gudlevskis are taking the Crunch on a Calder run and won't be available.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Before the TDL I hope Yzerman does try to get us one more top 4 D and a back-up Goalie. I agree with Hose that Vasilevskiy and Gudlevskis should stick it out in the AHL for a Calder run. I have faith in Yzerman to get those peices without giving up to much. However I have a feeling we will only have one first round pick after the TDL.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Im on board with Marc Methot, I know hes a lefty but the guy is an absolute beast! I have been a big fan of his for awhile now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't want a backup until next year. I think we're in a not bad situation where we can give Vasy spot starts. Can we carry three goaltenders in the playoffs?

I'm not comfortable playing a rookie goalie in the playoffs, but I'm probably more comfortable with Vasy than a career backup in that spot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't want a backup until next year. I think we're in a not bad situation where we can give Vasy spot starts. Can we carry three goaltenders in the playoffs?

If we have the roster spots, we can carry three goaltenders now. In the playoffs, I agree, that if we need it, we'll call up Vasilevskiy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we have the roster spots, we can carry three goaltenders now. In the playoffs, I agree, that if we need it, we'll call up Vasilevskiy.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to do it until the playoffs so Vasy can keep getting AHL games under his belt. There's also a thing about how having three goalies, apparently, makes practices very uncomfortable. But come playoff time, the writing will be on the wall for Nabokov, even to him, and hopefully he can be an admirable mentor.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unless Gudlevskis gets ridiculously hot and takes all the starts, we need Vasilevskiy in Syracuse. He's going to carry the Crunch on a Calder run. Makes no sense to bring him up for spot starts. Unless Bishop is out for the playoffs again don't expect to see Vasilevskiy with the team.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Marc Methot has played EIGHT games this year.

Wow had to look that up. Damn didn't realise he was that hurt this year.

Also on board with Hose about leaving Vasya and Gudlevskis in Syracuse. I feel they will get the proper development without the pressure up here. Plus the amount of time we can limit Frantz Jean "teaching" Vasya or Gudlevskis the better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Unless Gudlevskis gets ridiculously hot and takes all the starts, we need Vasilevskiy in Syracuse. He's going to carry the Crunch on a Calder run. Makes no sense to bring him up for spot starts. Unless Bishop is out for the playoffs again don't expect to see Vasilevskiy with the team.

It makes a lot of sense to bring him up for spot starts during the regular season. That way he gets extra games while Kristers gets extra AHL games. More experience for both.

You're probably right about the playoffs though. Vasy would be better taking the Crunch on a Calder Cup run than riding backup to Bishop.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011

I'm not sure who cares about Syracuse unless you live there. Syracuse is a tool used by the Lightning.

It makes a lot of sense to bring him up for spot starts during the regular season. That way he gets extra games while Kristers gets extra AHL games. More experience for both.

You're probably right about the playoffs though. Vasy would be better taking the Crunch on a Calder Cup run than riding backup to Bishop.

This would gives us an idea where we will be going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad