Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
23-24. Once he fills out fully, he will be hard to stop. The skating is there, but he doesn't have the strength to consistently play a power game. He will get there, maybe in the next off-season or two.

I see him as more of a shoot first center, which is a good thing if you can pair him with wingers that can make plays and score. At some point next year, I would like to see a kid line of

VK-Chytil-Kakko.

If all three are feeling good about themselves, and can carry a sense of confidence out on the ice, that trio can wreck havoc against 3rd line competition and 3rd pair d.

All big kids, we could call them the Eastern Block.

Good post but I think the question was rhetorical was the poster totally implied that time is now.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hehe, that would take a lot of tinkering, questionable if we can keep this team together... ;)

speaking of team, you mentioned Chytil at Center (I think). I know he’s young and the roster does have Strome, etc but wasn’t this supposed to be the year to develop these kids? Not that they aren’t developing but wouldn’t it have been nice to see Chytil at center? See if there are signs it could work?

Maybe it’s the fans or resigning Kreider but it suddenly seems as though we’re rushing. Although the Brady trade for a #1 made me feel better.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Ola

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Why are we trading for Zucc?

Let the Zuccettes watch him rot in Minnesota.

it’s always a solid business decision when you can trade off an aging player for a conditional #2 pick and then reacquire him for a Top 10 pick plus a #4 when he’s aged even more.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Georgiev isnt making anything close to Hanks cap hit in his next deal, or likely in any deal, with this team or with another. Hes a promising young goaltender. He is not elite. He probably never will be elite. People pinning their hopes on him and an even more promising rookie are making a mistake. The cap constraints are real, and worth consideration. But neither Georgiev nor Shesterkin have established themselves as better goaltenders than Hank. With Shesty, it certainly seems like he could rival peak Hank. Thats great. But he hasn't handled the load yet.
My point was a Lundqvist buyout gives them ~3M in space, Georgiev is probably getting about that as a raise in his cap hit.

Reactions: Avery16

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think Chytil is a a very good center. Convert him to a wing. He sucks on faceoffs and he is not great playmaker. Why are they trying to make him play center I don't really understand.

He can build up really good top speed but he needs space to do it, that is why is he played at center.

I think the challenge Chytil faces is to develop chemistry with a linemate or two and try to establish more consistent ways to create offense. You can’t do it by yourself.

Chytil would probably have benefitted a bit playing with someone like Zucc who could daddy him a bit offensively. But things are what they are and he get to watch Ziba and Panarin up close so I am sure he will be fine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
speaking of team, you mentioned Chytil at Center (I think). I know he’s young and the roster does have Strome, etc but wasn’t this supposed to be the year to develop these kids? Not that they aren’t developing but wouldn’t it have been nice to see Chytil at center? See if there are signs it could work?

Maybe it’s the fans or resigning Kreider but it suddenly seems as though we’re rushing. Although the Brady trade for a #1 made me feel better.

Thoughts?

2nd line C you mean?

I am not a big 1/2/3 line guy, all shifts matter the same and there is a very marginal difference in ice time between the top 3 lines as long as all lines are performing.

And I am not sold on that Chytil is a great fit at center for Panarin. Think Kreider would be a better fit, but that will take a while I guess.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
2nd line C you mean?

I am not a big 1/2/3 line guy, all shifts matter the same and there is a very marginal difference in ice time between the top 3 lines as long as all lines are performing.

And I am not sold on that Chytil is a great fit at center for Panarin. Think Kreider would be a better fit, but that will take a while I guess.

well, that’s the issue with Strome there. IDK, he skates well yet not certain about his vision.

Reactions: Ola

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
He can build up really good top speed but he needs space to do it, that is why is he played at center.

I think the challenge Chytil faces is to develop chemistry with a linemate or two and try to establish more consistent ways to create offense. You can’t do it by yourself.

Chytil would probably have benefitted a bit playing with someone like Zucc who could daddy him a bit offensively. But things are what they are and he get to watch Ziba and Panarin up close so I am sure he will be fine.

I think his challenge is learning to play in his own zone. Same goes for most of the team. It's so irritating to see the sloppy turnovers, failed zone clearings, and players lost in the zone covering no one. Our goalies bail us out nightly (well except last night).

Chytil had some bad turnovers last night and a couple of times he just stood in the zone and didn't move to help the defenseman under duress for the breakout pass.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Wingers usually need more speed than centers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wingers usually need more speed than centers.

Yeah, and it’s a different type of skating. For a winger it’s more about acceleration, they rarely get much time to build up speed. Malkin can build up top great speed and have blown past many Ds coming from behind. Chytil got that type of skating too. But for a winger it’s more valuable to be able to get to top speed in a few strides.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Re: Skjei, interesting note from LeBrun:

The Hurricanes weren’t alone bidding on Skjei. The Florida Panthers would have loved to get their hands on him. That was their focus the rest of the day after making their deal with Carolina. They were desperate to find a top-four, left-side D who was not a rental player.

The problem, according to two sources, was that Florida was trying to make a dollar-in, dollar-out trade (I think Mike Matheson was offered) in exchange for Skjei. That didn’t make much sense for a Rangers team that was only dealing Skjei away for salary cap reasons after signing Chris Kreider to an extension and looking ahead to offseason, cap-related decisions.
Would have wanted a tippet or bjorkstrand spp.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
I genuinely think Henrik will retire this offseason. That pretty much solves the problem. He can probably earn close to as much money in Frolunda with a salary plus all the Swedish commercials and endorsements he could land.

If he doesn't, obviously we need to get creative.

Like he needs more money. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad