Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I liked Namestnikov's game and compete level playing here. Not really sure what the thought process was earlier this year shipping him out.

Cap space, either to absorb rookie bonuses as @GoAwayStaal mentioned if any, or potential trade related, again if needed. The need never materialized and the team lost services of capable middle-6er that could’ve come handy early in the season.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I disagree. Binnington had just won a Cup and that deal was largely that, not his games played. So the Rangers would offer Georgiev 3 million to avoid arbitration? If that were true, why wouldn't they just trade him first since he's never going to be the starter here? No one wants a $3 million backup.

Which is what I think is probably one of the plans. They'll see what Lundqvist does, if he does not retire, they may buy him out, then still trade Georgiev to avoid both any possible offer sheet and any possible arbitration award or contract they'd have to offer to avoid it. The other option of keeping Lundqvist means they have a 8.5M back-up.

As far as arbitration, how much would arbitrators take into account the lack of playoffs games given the Rangers released a letter with an intent to rebuild which started at basically the same time Georgiev started playing NHL games, and would they also take his lesser stats into that consideration as well? At the time of their signings Vasilevskiy had 38 regular season wins in 90 games, Murray 41 reg wins in 62 games, Geo currently 34 wins in 74 games.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think one of the biggest factors arbitrators would take into consideration is the fact that Georgiev is not the Rangers starter. He was splitting time with Lundqvist then when Shesh came up Shesh was the clear #1 until his injury. I would assume once Shesh is back he will become the #1 again.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think one of the biggest factors arbitrators would take into consideration is the fact that Georgiev is not the Rangers starter. He was splitting time with Lundqvist then when Shesh came up Shesh was the clear #1 until his injury. I would assume once Shesh is back he will become the #1 again.

Maybe, yet if Geo does end up playing more down the stretch, he currently is and would be the goalies with the most starts for the Rangers. And again to make a comparison, Murray played in 49 games, Vasilevskiy 50 the year prior to their deals. Geo at 31 starts currently. (18 games left, well 17 if Lundqvist starts today)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Maybe, yet if Geo does end up playing more down the stretch, he currently is and would be the goalies with the most starts for the Rangers. And again to make a comparison, Murray played in 49 games, Vasilevskiy 50 the year prior to their deals. Geo at 31 starts currently. (18 games left, well 17 if Lundqvist starts today)

Think you mentioned this but a key differentiation is both had playoffs experience leading up to their new contracts with Georgiev having none.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Think you mentioned this but a key differentiation is both had playoffs experience leading up to their new contracts with Georgiev having none.
Yes, yet I think that kind of cuts both ways, those goalie put up those stats and wins on teams who were good. Geo did it on a team that just sent out a rebuilding letter. Like are the Rangers going to argue that Geo was the reason they missed the playoffs after they sent out that letter?

And the only reason I bring up those goalies as comparable is because there just are not many who compare at all, yet the ones who sort of do all received pretty big raises. It would make it difficult for the Rangers to compare him to just a back-up goalie as most of them had like 1/3 or 1/4 of the games played by the time they were arbitration eligible.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So in the off season:g

1. re-sign Fast for 3 years @ 2 mil
2. trade Strome for a 1st rounder?
3. buy out or retire Lundqvist
4. re-sign all the remaining RFAs
5. trade Lias
6. try to trade Smith and/or Staal
7. stay away from UFAs unless we can get somebody good short term and cheap
8. don't draft more than 1 Dman
9. keep Buchnevich
10. possibly trade Trouba

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
So in the off season:g

1. re-sign Fast for 3 years @ 2 mil
2. trade Strome for a 1st rounder?
3. buy out or retire Lundqvist
4. re-sign all the remaining RFAs
5. trade Lias
6. try to trade Smith and/or Staal
7. stay away from UFAs unless we can get somebody good short term and cheap
8. don't draft more than 1 Dman
9. keep Buchnevich
10. possibly trade Trouba

1. Thought he should've been traded, but "culture". 2 mill is fine
2. Hopefully. Can he really fetch a 1st though?
3. Either works for me, but I hope he can retire as it would be more his own choice....... :(
4. Definitely lock up DeAngelo imo, and Buchnevich. I think he's a rfa?
5. Keep him at least 1 more season in the SHL, it can only help his career, and he probably wouldn't have brought back much anyways?
6. In a just world, both would be long gone
7. We need center depth, especially if Strome is shipped out. Chytil is ok, but Howden is very bad, and who is our 4th line center? McKegg?
8. Unless it's BPA, but I really hope we get a SCORING, SHOOT FIRST forward
9. Yes, I definitely would
10. Who can afford his cap? Are we retaining salary? He's had bad games, but also good games and can really crank up the physical/edgy/dirty play. We NEED that in our team, in our team's "culture". We seriously lack that component. If we ever make the playoffs in the near future, I think Trouba will be very good. Of course I've never seen him play post-season though, but I think his type of d-man just seems to step up in the playoffs..

Reactions: Ola

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
1. Thought he should've been traded, but "culture". 2 mill is fine
2. Hopefully. Can he really fetch a 1st though?
3. Either works for me, but I hope he can retire as it would be more his own choice....... :(
4. Definitely lock up DeAngelo imo, and Buchnevich. I think he's a rfa?
5. Keep him at least 1 more season in the SHL, it can only help his career, and he probably wouldn't have brought back much anyways?
6. In a just world, both would be long gone
7. We need center depth, especially if Strome is shipped out. Chytil is ok, but Howden is very bad, and who is our 4th line center? McKegg?
8. Unless it's BPA, but I really hope we get a SCORING, SHOOT FIRST forward
9. Yes, I definitely would
10. Who can afford his cap? Are we retaining salary? He's had bad games, but also good games and can really crank up the physical/edgy/dirty play. We NEED that in our team, in our team's "culture". We seriously lack that component. If we ever make the playoffs in the near future, I think Trouba will be very good. Of course I've never seen him play post-season though, but I think his type of d-man just seems to step up in the playoffs..

No, I mean with all our picks I hope we draft only 1 Dman, 2 at most. with our 1st rounders we definitely need to draft forwards.

good 4th line center, shouldn't be too difficult to find. We need to sign Barron.

Yes, I like Trouba's physical play but that contract is insane, and honestly he often makes bad defensive plays, and his offensive production hasn't been great.

Reactions: Ola

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Fast isn’t taking a 150k raise when free agency starts, it’s his last chance to cash in, he should take the biggest offer he can get.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
So if we're looking to move Strome on it would be potential #2c Stome, Namestnikov, Hayes and Miller moved out in the last 2 years because of flaws and/or cap hits, while none of Chytil, Andersson or Howden have shown they have the talent to take the spot (so far).

Are we terrible at identifying 2nd line centers or do we just expect too much from them?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
So if we're looking to move Strome on it would be potential #2c Stome, Namestnikov, Hayes and Miller moved out in the last 2 years because of flaws and/or cap hits, while none of Chytil, Andersson or Howden have shown they have the talent to take the spot (so far).

Are we terrible at identifying 2nd line centers or do we just expect too much from them?
We didnt identify Strome. He was what allowed us to get out from Spooner, who is now in Europe.

Reactions: White Death 24

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Fast isn’t taking a 150k raise when free agency starts, it’s his last chance to cash in, he should take the biggest offer he can get.

We will see, he hasn't really developed into anything more than a 3rd/4th liner. We might offer 2.25 mil.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We didnt identify Strome. He was what allowed us to get out from Spooner, who is now in Europe.

Right, and our instinct seems to be "he's flawed so move him on", which is the same instinct we've used with a bunch of other guys we've tried as the #2nd c (and it's something we read about with Buch a lot).
It kind of seems to me that we are very quick to rush 'middle 6' players out the door because they have flaws, not realising that all middle 6 players have flaws. At some point we're going to have to bite the bullet and understand that we are going to have Strime/Buch/Miller/Hayes type players on this roster, on the top 2 lines, making around $5m, and they are going to put up some absolute stinkers.
That's not to say we need to hold on to Strome necessarily; but at some stage we really are going to have to settle...

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Right, and our instinct seems to be "he's flawed so move him on", which is the same instinct we've used with a bunch of other guys we've tried as the #2nd c (and it's something we read about with Buch a lot).
It kind of seems to me that we are very quick to rush 'middle 6' players out the door because they have flaws, not realising that all middle 6 players have flaws. At some point we're going to have to bite the bullet and understand that we are going to have Strime/Buch/Miller/Hayes type players on this roster, on the top 2 lines, making around $5m, and they are going to put up some absolute stinkers.
That's not to say we need to hold on to Strome necessarily; but at some stage we really are going to have to settle...
I don't think Strome is cut out for 2C on any line that doesn't include Panarin. I think keeping Panarin glued to Strome diminishes Panarin's overall ability. I think Strome will get paid too much to be a third liner. We have to find a way to get better forward depth.

Reactions: mschmidt64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->