Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
would love a kids line.
Gauthier in his limited ice shows me absolutely nothing . Rarely takes a pass cleanly , so far he looks like a big stiff . Reminds me of Marcel Hossa , big body , looks to move well but a total stiff . He’s been fine on the fourth line but I’m not seeing top 6 upside on this kid . He either fumbles the puck on his first touches or gets it poked checked away easily . Very well might be a 4th liner or AAAA player .

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
Maybe Goat can get a mean streak learn to fight and become a poor mans Tom Wilson . Sonething this team could use . Sunday this team needs to set the tone and hit Voracek , Giroux and Hayes . I’ll chalk last night up to being tired as we did generate chances early but couldn’t beat Hart but sun we need to be on our toes and lay some hits . Our games are way too often resembling a no check league

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Gauthier in his limited ice shows me absolutely nothing . Rarely takes a pass cleanly , so far he looks like a big stiff . Reminds me of Marcel Hossa , big body , looks to move well but a total stiff . He’s been fine on the fourth line but I’m not seeing top 6 upside on this kid . He either fumbles the puck on his first touches or gets it poked checked away easily . Very well might be a 4th liner or AAAA player .

should he have blended in immediately and netted a hat trick? What does that say about you as a fan who draw a negative conclusion on a kid despite limited opportunities to see?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Maybe Goat can get a mean streak learn to fight and become a poor mans Tom Wilson . Sonething this team could use . Sunday this team needs to set the tone and hit Voracek , Giroux and Hayes . I’ll chalk last night up to being tired as we did generate chances early but couldn’t beat Hart but sun we need to be on our toes and lay some hits . Our games are way too often resembling a no check league
have you ever had a take that wasn’t flaming dog shit

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I saw Gauthier make such a beautiful, almost vet like move at center ice, stealing the puck, breaking up an odd man rush (I think) the other way AND trying to create something offensively.

I think he's going to be fine and I'm excited to see how he progresses. Attaching him to Kreider in the offseason is going to be so huge going forward. I'm very excited to see this kid next season more than anything.

A lot of 'what ifs' on this team and in the pipeline ...but hot damn, if even 25% of these kids hit close to their ceilings were in for a monster ride here for the next decade..

Reactions: leetch99

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
At what point is what you see is what you get with Chytil . He’s very very young still but he doesn’t really drive play other than individual effort . He needs a lotta work on his slowing it down in the offensive zone , possession style of play . Might’ve been a big mistake not signing Hayes as I’m not sure that Fil has the vision , ability / IQ to be more than a good one on one player off the rush . I hope I’m wrong but at some point he needs to be able to slow play down and make some plays beyond shooting off the rush . Maybe it’s that we haven’t full committee to him as a center yet and yo yo him between wing and C . He has the size , skating and shot in just not seeing the sustained pressure and possession enough out of him .

23-24. Once he fills out fully, he will be hard to stop. The skating is there, but he doesn't have the strength to consistently play a power game. He will get there, maybe in the next off-season or two.

I see him as more of a shoot first center, which is a good thing if you can pair him with wingers that can make plays and score. At some point next year, I would like to see a kid line of

VK-Chytil-Kakko.

If all three are feeling good about themselves, and can carry a sense of confidence out on the ice, that trio can wreck havoc against 3rd line competition and 3rd pair d.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
At what point is what you see is what you get with Chytil .
tptasOng.jpg

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unless they find a way to reduce the ~18.5m in cap hits to Lundqvist, Staal, Smith any even mid sized cap hit added will need to have an ~equal one removed.

Those being removed I believe are going to likely be Buch, ADA or Georgiev. No one else, who does not have a clause, really has or will have the cap hit to make space for any incoming cap hit besides Strome.

If they do buyout Lundqvist that cap space is being absorbed by Georgiev's next deal. If they keep Lundqvist there is not a lot of cap savings by them sending out Geo.

If they do buyout Smith/Staal that cap space is being absorbed by the combo of raises to Strome and ADA. They would also need to backfill at least one D spot vacated in that process with some cap hit.

Is the team really improved by subtracting Buch and ADA and them adding in Hanafin and Bennett?

Reactions: leetch99

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unless they find a way to reduce the ~18.5m in cap hits to Lundqvist, Staal, Smith any even mid sized cap hit added will need to have an ~equal one removed.

Those being removed I believe are going to likely be Buch, ADA or Georgiev. No one else, who does not have a clause, really has or will have the cap hit to make space for any incoming cap hit besides Strome.

If they do buyout Lundqvist that cap space is being absorbed by Georgiev's next deal. If they keep Lundqvist there is not a lot of cap savings by them sending out Geo.

If they do buyout Smith/Staal that cap space is being absorbed by the combo of raises to Strome and ADA. They would also need to backfill at least one D spot vacated in that process with some cap hit.

Is the team really improved by subtracting Buch and ADA and them adding in Hanafin and Bennett?

I genuinely think Henrik will retire this offseason. That pretty much solves the problem. He can probably earn close to as much money in Frolunda with a salary plus all the Swedish commercials and endorsements he could land.

If he doesn't, obviously we need to get creative.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I don't think we've seen enough but this is my fear also. Good comparison with Hossa.

Reactions: Tossed Medal

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
At what point is what you see is what you get with Chytil . He’s very very young still but he doesn’t really drive play other than individual effort . He needs a lotta work on his slowing it down in the offensive zone , possession style of play . Might’ve been a big mistake not signing Hayes as I’m not sure that Fil has the vision , ability / IQ to be more than a good one on one player off the rush . I hope I’m wrong but at some point he needs to be able to slow play down and make some plays beyond shooting off the rush . Maybe it’s that we haven’t full committee to him as a center yet and yo yo him between wing and C . He has the size , skating and shot in just not seeing the sustained pressure and possession enough out of him .

I think that Chytil has a lot of potential and that he will be really interesting to follow going forward.

Remember that Zibanejad only had 33 pts when he was 21 y/o. Chytil is skating really well, he is good around the net, he can buy himself time and move the puck fairly well.

He is a tad ‘rushed’ in how he plays right now. Doesn’t change tempo that often or calm things down, but that could certainly improve.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Not for a while.

It feels like he’s been around for a long time, but then you realize he isn’t even old enough to legally have a post-game beer, and won’t be until almost next season.

Personally, I think he most likely tops out as a very good second line center and I don’t think he quite has that extra level that Zibanejad does. But in no way should we be considering him anywhere close to the finished product at this point.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Georgiev isnt making anything close to Hanks cap hit in his next deal, or likely in any deal, with this team or with another. Hes a promising young goaltender. He is not elite. He probably never will be elite. People pinning their hopes on him and an even more promising rookie are making a mistake. The cap constraints are real, and worth consideration. But neither Georgiev nor Shesterkin have established themselves as better goaltenders than Hank. With Shesty, it certainly seems like he could rival peak Hank. Thats great. But he hasn't handled the load yet.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
The kid is 20 years old.

No, he isn’t a “what you see is what you get” player at f***ing TWENTY.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hypothetically speaking would you trade Lias Anderson and a 4th to minnesota for Zuccarello with enough retained that his contract ended up around 4 mill. Just bored thinking of scenarios

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not for nothing but I'm really hoping their collective ceiling is higher than the 3rd line.
I think he meant next season, which seems like a fair enough bar to set. Depending on what happens this offseason, I could see Kakko still starting on the 3rd line with softer minutes for the first ~30 games before stepping up and seizing a permanent top-6 spot.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Well I don’t think you’d subtract Buch AND DeAngelo for only Hanafin and Bennett. So yes, within that context, no they would certainly not be a better team.

Now within the context of trading Andersson and Buch for Hanafin and Bennett, they could potentially be closer, with an emphasis on trying to be more balanced.

But again, it’s only one potential path forward they’ve explored/will explore.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Good suggestion.

You can always play a little faster and simplified on the left side as a lefty.

I honestly don't think he is quick enough speed wise or thinking wise to play with Zibanajad yet. I'd try Gauthier there for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad