Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The value in Strome is both his chemistry with Panarin and his ability to play up and down the line up at any forward position.

I can't remember the last time we had a coach like Babcock or Gallant that stuck to set lines. Nothing is set in stone so no one is blocking anyone. Especially Quinn who is maybe the most merit based coach we have had in ages.

Strome is still being judged by his time with Edmonton and fake future arguments over blocking youth. Ranger fans have a long history of favorites and scapegoats but Strome is shaping up to be one of the all timers.

Prior to coming to the Rangers, Michael Nylander was a former first round pick player who (due to a variety of factors) finally established himself as a 50-60 point player around the age of 27, before seeing his numbers jump in his early 30s for a few years when found chemistry with Jaromir Jagr.

Ryan Strome is a former first round pick who was in the 40-50 point ranges as a young player on Long Island, before his game slipped and he was shipped to Siberia where it further fell from grace. Upon being traded to the Rangers, he more closely resembled the 40-50 point player he was earlier in his career, before finding Chemistry with Panarin and watching his numbers climb.

If this season holds steady, both guys will have seen a roughly 20 point jump over their previous career highs, while playing alongside a world-class talent.

I guess when push comes to shove, I don't have a huge problem with what I'm seeing at the right price point. I see a 26 year old center, who can also play the wing, who is getting a boost from playing with an elite talent. But, I also think there's a tendency to downplay what he showed before and gloss over the fact that there was a reason he was a top-10 pick at one point.

Of course playing with Panarin inflates his numbers.

And Kevin Stevens probably isn't a 50 goal, 100 point LW without Lemieux. And Nylander doesn't touch 83 points without Jagr. And Ryan Graves probably doesn't do as good without lining up with Makar and Colorado's potent offense. And Miller doesn't touch his numbers in Vancouver without benefiting from his linemates.

I think at some point, we can appreciate Strome on some level without always having to add a qualifier.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Strome to me, just like everyone else, it would come down to term and cap hit.

I'd actually be fine with the Rangers just signing him for a year or two, he'll be a UFA after.

If he replicates this season those UFA years are going to cost about the same as they would if they bought them after this season anyway.

If it turns out he falls from grace, or if someone replaces him they can decide to trade him next deadline or pay less for those UFA years.

If he improves, that just seem improbable to me. Yet if so they extend him and pay more for those UFA years, if he won't extend he is worth more by trade by that point anyway.

I don't really see the fear to staying short term with Strome.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
At the draft this summer they will go "Next to the podium is Jeff Gorton with the [*] pick ...." and Dreger/McKenzie will break in "cough I have a feeling Gorton will pick" and then he will be able to name all our picks in all rounds.

This is how these things work. Gorton have become friendly with these guys and are feeding them info. In return, they will argue Gorts position from time to time in issues like this one.
He learned that from Sather

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I mean you kind of contradict yourself here. You ask if anyone would be interested in Jost as the main piece for Kreider if he was picked in the 25-30 range and then advocate scuttling the 1st round pick for a kid from Carolina who was taken 21st overall in the same draft as Jost and also happens to be 7 months older.

I like Gauthier. A lot, in fact. But I think your post shows the biases that exist when it comes to players who are under-achieving at the NHL level when compared to those who are performing reasonably well in the AHL. If Jost was playing in the AHL, he'd probably be at least meeting Gauthier's output and we'd be talking about him as a player who just needs a shot instead of a guy who is getting on the train to bustville.

As for why I like Jost, it's because he's a skilled player with a great motor and good hockey sense. Are there a lot of kids who I could describe the same way who never put it together in the NHL? Of course, but it's a good set of skills to roll the dice on. I think if you put him in a system that isn't so heavily influenced by pace and move him to the wing full time it will put him in a better position. Stick him on Zibanejad's wing to close out the year and just tell him to get to the net. Is he a star just waiting to break out? Probably not, but I think the tools are there to be a very useful player.

I don’t like Gauthier because of his draft position though, which was my point. I can tell you what I like about Gauthier’s game. Can anyone tell me what they like about Jost other than that he may yet turn it around because of where he was drafted? I target Gauthier for specific, tangible qualities. Jost just has “upside” because he’s still young and was a high pick.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I can’t recall so many mini-rollercoasters within a given season. Consistently playing up - and down - to the level of competition. Emotionally drained. Need resolution to the goalie situation. Need player personnel resolution. Increasingly anxious to rid ourselves of a select few. Also cannot recall a time in which so many young potentially ‘core’ pieces were question marks. Need resolution.

Reactions: Maximus

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don’t like Gauthier because of his draft position though, which was my point. I can tell you what I like about Gauthier’s game. Can anyone tell me what they like about Jost other than that he may yet turn it around because of where he was drafted? I target Gauthier for specific, tangible qualities. Jost just has “upside” because he’s still young and was a high pick.

Uh, yeah. It was literally in my post.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad