Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The "problem" is we're comparing a team that sold off just before the deadline, again, for a bunch of assets with the team fielding the youngest lineup in the league.

If anything, I think the Rangers have performed better than expected fielding a bunch of rookies and really young players with significant minutes each and every night. Kakko. Fox. Lindgren. Hajek. Igor. Georgiev. Andersson. Howden. Chytil.

Leave it to RB to spin it as a negative when, really, no one had ANY expectations about this year - Panarin or not.

I am not being negative. No one had ANY expectations for this year? You’re lost as usual.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Me too. Getting into better position for the lottery. Getting the 4 number combination which is assigned to the Rangers. The Rangers get a top 3 pick or they stay at 6/7/8.
I think, without watching the game, the need for another panarin level talent would benefit us greatly. Panarin has been better than expected but he can’t do it all himself.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Philly and Boston fans tend to be crazy( we know this) When i visited Boston their whole identity revolved around the “Yankees sucking” it was actual Dunkin’ Donuts theme. It was on cups, napkins signs. Every store had “ **** jeter” and “ Yankees suck” shirts for sale. It’s such an odd thing to see. I also recall I’ve visiting philly and my significant other was wearing a I love Ny shirt ( it was a emergency buy. I forgot What happened to their shirt) anyways we were actually stopped by a guy and he legit said “ you love ny? You need a I love Philly shirt”. Being a New Yorker that attitude is so foreign to me. Not saying we’re better but we just have so many people from other states living and visiting here we wouldn’t dream of that sorta behavior.

I couldn’t disagree more. That mindset absolutely exists in NYC. Manhattan is a bit too cosmopolitan and busy to get that type of response consistently, but if you were strolling around in an I Love Boston shirt you would absolutely get some comments, especially in the other boroughs + certain parts of NJ and LI.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The "problem" is we're comparing a team that sold off just before the deadline, again, for a bunch of assets with the team fielding the youngest lineup in the league.

If anything, I think the Rangers have performed better than expected fielding a bunch of rookies and really young players with significant minutes each and every night. Kakko. Fox. Lindgren. Hajek. Igor. Georgiev. Andersson. Howden. Chytil.

Leave it to RB to spin it as a negative when, really, no one had ANY expectations about this year - Panarin or not.
Its just not the same. Pointing to being just one point better than last year is a lazy way of wedging your narrative into a discussion.

This team is more than one point better if they had better defensive structure, more responsible and smarter play, and better depth at forward so that their top 2 lines werent being overworked. All of that can be attributed to Gorton and the coaching staff. Game 48 and the players are making the same mistakes, veterans too. Could have had Brian Boyle for cheap. Instead we get the pleasure of watching Smith and Haley who barely play more than a shift or two 5v5 once the 2nd period starts. DQ is showing he doesn’t trust them yet he won’t give DiGuiseppe a chance? Or Lettieri? Or Boo?

Yes there was a lot of “hoopla” and “fanfare” for Panarin and rightfully so. They have both carried the offense and defense. They need help in personnel around them. A competent 4th line and team structure and they are not 10-11 points behind the WC spot. We’ve counted all the points they forfeited because of stupidity. They may be in the WC spot right now.

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers are just one point better this season than last season.

21-20-7 after 48 games in 2018-19 49 points

23-21-4 after 48 games in 2019-20 50 points

The Rangers played 48 games in both seasons heading into the ASB.

For the all of the hoopla and fanfare about Artemi Panarin and Jason Trouba last summer, they are one point better.

Panarin can't play any better. Mika Zibanejad missed 13 games with a neck injury but he has been terrific. The Rangers goaltending has been very good on most nights. Not that many bad performances. Their D has a million points.

With all of that, the Rangers are just one point better this season.

The Rangers are ten points out of the last wildcard. If Columbus beats Winnipeg tonight, the Rangers will be 11 points out of the last wildcard. Winnipeg is playing their third road game in four nights and back to back road games. The Rangers will have 2-3 games in hand. The Rangers have had 2-3 games in hand on every team this season. The Rangers played 3 games in the first 17 days this season and still have 2-3 games in hand on the teams ahead of them after 48 games played. They will pay for that in February and March.

Conclusion: Last years team was one of the luckiest teams ever. Also can conclude that this is NOT a playoff team, that shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

I don't like making the comparison because while the end results may be similar, the way they got there was not. Last year's team was legitimately bottom 2 worthy, this years team has steadily improved. The way things have played out thus far are probably for the best as they've had guys take positive steps forward while not hanging on the bubble of a fools gold playoff push.

I'd much rather have a season like this than the one the Devils are having. There is hope with this group, with theirs? not so much.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Conclusion: Last years team was one of the luckiest teams ever. Also can conclude that this is NOT a playoff team, that shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

I don't like making the comparison because while the end results may be similar, the way they got there was not. Last year's team was legitimately bottom 2 worthy, this years team has steadily improved. The way things have played out thus far are probably for the best as they've had guys take positive steps forward while not hanging on the bubble of a fools gold playoff push.

I'd much rather have a season like this than the one the Devils are having. There is hope with this group, with theirs? not so much.

December and January, once again, has proven to be the point in the year where the state of this team becomes more apparent.

We'll be sellers again, and probably (hopefully) for the last time in a while. This year is the end of the first chapter.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That and we collectively on this board are ****ing nuts.

Every player on this team is only good as their last shift and we go from Cup favorites to a mangled web of failure on a game by game basis.

Technically, so does this team. They can look like a Cup winner and a dumpster fire in the same period.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I am not being negative. No one had ANY expectations for this year? You’re lost as usual.

Your post wasn’t negative? Okay lol.

ANY = playoff type expectations.

If you were going into this season hoping the young players would be effective in their new roles or progressing nicely then, aside from a few outliers, I can’t see how those expectations weren't met or exceeded.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
we are mostly the same team because our LHD is not NHL caliber and our bottom 6 is not NHL caliber.

Kakko also being worse than even the most pessimistic predictions really doesn't help.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Guess I am a year off, I see a leap the season after next if they are patient. I mean I think the youth will improve from this to next season, yet they are still going to have several issues between Staal/Smith/Buyout cap space/lack of depth/etc, much of that could go away the season after next.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
The NHL standings right now are so weird to look at.

Because of the schedule, we currently sit 10th in the draft, but actually have one less point than the team picking 7th.

With those four positions comes almost double the odds of picking in the top 3.
Trade. Trade Trade!

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Guess I am a year off, I see a leap the season after next if they are patient. I mean I think the youth will improve from this to next season, yet they are still going to have several issues between Staal/Smith/Buyout cap space/lack of depth/etc, much of that could go away the season after next.
And it will also depend on how many vets are sold off at the deadline.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
we are mostly the same team because our LHD is not NHL caliber and our bottom 6 is not NHL caliber.

Kakko also being worse than even the most pessimistic predictions really doesn't help.
He is18 years old playing with other kids. One of which is Howden who is really a 4th liner. The kid has shown his skills just has been a bit unlucky. Honestly Quinn should have put him With Zib and Kreider 20 games ago. Kid is gonna be good I think fans just been to show a fraction of patience lol

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome has like 3x as much TOI with Panarin than Buch so duh he's going to have more chemistry
Ok, but in any time spent with Panarin, Buchnevich has shown next to nothing. I realize that’s a step to debunking the “anyone can do it “ narrative. That’s probably because it is just that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And it will also depend on how many vets are sold off at the deadline.
One needs to keep in mind that let's say that Kreider is traded. Unless that production is replaced on the top 6, that will make it that much more difficult to be better next year.

That’s not a pitch to keep Kreider, just a realistic take on next years success. The chances of one of the youngsters doing it as soon as next year is pretty slim. And I think that big name UFA hunting is done. So that would then leave the focus on what possible trades are made at this years TDL & draft day.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Ryan Strome has now taken 19 minor penalties this season. 19! Only 4 players have taken more - Wilson, Evander Kane, Edler, and Miles Wood. With the exception of Edler, those guys all have plenty of interference/roughing/instigator 2 minors mixed in there.

Strome has 19 with only 2 coming from roughing/int/interference. He's got 17 from tripping, high sticking, hooking, slashing.

Apparently Panarin hasn't mastered "stop being stupid" in English yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad