Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Recapping the Roster Building Thread XXIII…

Jacob Trouba will not be traded.

The Rangers do not have an expansion draft problem, at least in goal. Lundqvist is a UFA at the end of the 2021 season and Sherstykin does not need to be protected. Even if the Rangers keep all three (unlikely) Georgiev could be protected.

Tallon did not fire Gallant in Florida. He hired him. Tallon was kicked upstairs and replaced by a couple of nerds. The nerds fired Gallant. After the team badly underachieved, the nerds were fired and Tallon was given full authority again.

An offer sheet that carries a return of a second (in 2021) could have been up to $4,227,437 for this year. That number will go up $100,000-200,000K next year. An offer sheet for Georgiev (or for that matter Tristan Jarry or Matt Murray) is possible from plenty of teams, especially those with draft capital and a need for a long term goaltender solution.

Arizona is extremely unlikely to trade Lawson Crouse. He is their Lemieux.

And finally, Jacob Trouba will not be traded.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The only thing we might get for Lias is a guy like Bracco honestly. That might be part of the conversations between the organizations.

and Toronto might be Able to actually make lias an nhler. They have the best skating coach in the world on their staff in Barb Underhill. If she can’t teach him how to skate nobody can. They may like their chances with that.

Wonder if the Leafs would mind if we borrowed Underhill for a few weeks this coming July and let her do her thang with Kappo...hmmmm...lol

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wonder if the Leafs would mind if we borrowed Underhill for a few weeks this coming July and let her do her thang with Kappo...hmmmm...lol

Not worried with Kakko’s skating at all. He just needs to physically mature and his skating will in the process. He’s fine. Kakko at 18 could skate circles around lias Andersson at 21.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I just think the only thing about Jost that moves the needle for most people is his draft position. Tell me something about his game that you like? He’s undersized, not physical, not particularly good defensively and he’s been unable to find his scoring despite opportunities to play with lots of different high end guys. Compher is out producing him and he’s considered more of a shutdown/energy guy. It’s not that I don’t like Jost or think he has some upside that he may find with a change of scenery, but if he’d been drafted 25-35 instead of at 10 would anyone really be interested in him as the main piece for Kreider? I’d rather a guy like Gauthier and a 2nd than Jost and a late 1st. That late 1st is gonna be 3+ years from helping us. A guy like Gauthier would almost undoubtedly help us either immediately after being acquired or next season and forward.

I'm starting to share the same opinion.

Watching him, I see nothing that stands out leading me to believe hes not going to be more or less a bottom 6 player with limited offensive ability.

Not sure I want to target that with a Kreider trade.

Reactions: LokiDog

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Think there might be too many expectations for a Kreider deal. There isn't going to be a headline piece that everyone is happy about, just isn't going to happen for a UFA. Especially one who just isn't elite.

Getting a first rounder and any young player/prospect that can play any role in the future for us is a win.

It isn't like we can just hold on to Kreider if we don't like any of the offers if their plan isn't to re-sign him anyway. You take the best deal available, which might be Jost and a 1st, and there isn't much more you can do.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We’re all going to be disappointed with the Kreider return. That’s what pains me the most. The other guys moving them all made sense we needed to restock the cupboards. But now moving Kreider, we’re just making our roster weaker. I hate the idea of moving him really do. Feels like we’re forfeiting next year by doing so.

but as I laid out in the other thread the long term vision is going to call for moving our ufas this year and next

Reactions: haveandare

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not worried with Kakko’s skating at all. He just needs to physically mature and his skating will in the process. He’s fine. Kakko at 18 could skate circles around lias Andersson at 21.

You may not be but I am mildly concerned as he’s been slow as shit since coming here and he can barely keep up with his line mates let alone opposing players who are blowing by him all the time.

I’m sure that part of Kakkos offseason training regimen will include some intense power skating as well as strength and stamina training which all combined should help Kakko be much improved next year.

So no not majorly concerned as he is just 18 and he has some filling out to do. I kind of expect like both Chytil and Lemieux did this past off season as they both are a lot faster and quicker and stronger than they were last season, the same will occur with Kakko.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I'm starting to share the same opinion.

Watching him, I see nothing that stands out leading me to believe hes not going to be more or less a bottom 6 player with limited offensive ability.

Not sure I want to target that with a Kreider trade.

A young bottom 6 center and a first round pick for an expiring Kreider isn’t a bad return.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The thing about people from Boston that I’ve learned now that I’m a New Yorker living in Boston (I am not a Bostonian let me make that clear) is that they really friggen love Boston. I can’t see Kreider passing up an opportunity to sign long term for them vs say a Colorado throwing money at him. He’s going to stay on the East coast and as close to Fenway as possible.

Today, yes I would agree. But any young Bostonian should and does stay away from signing there.

The local media up there is brutal. It is THE reason both Kevin Hayes and Jimmy Vesey signed in NY.

Established player like Kreider should have an easier time.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I hear ya, I prefer a different prospect

Like who? Besides Gauthier, who is a legitimate option, I am not sure what the targets would be. Prospects and young players of the next level up aren't traded for rentals.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Georgiev brings in Kapanen, I'm going to bake a cake for each of John Shannon, Darren Dreger and EvolvingWild.

At the draft this summer they will go "Next to the podium is Jeff Gorton with the [*] pick ...." and Dreger/McKenzie will break in "cough I have a feeling Gorton will pick" and then he will be able to name all our picks in all rounds.

This is how these things work. Gorton have become friendly with these guys and are feeding them info. In return, they will argue Gorts position from time to time in issues like this one.

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
At the draft this summer they will go "Next to the podium is Jeff Gorton with the [*] pick ...." and Dreger/McKenzie will break in "cough I have a feeling Gorton will pick" and then he will be able to name all our picks in all rounds.

This is how these things work. Gorton have become friendly with these guys and are feeding them info. In return, they will argue Gorts position from time to time in issues like this one.
I think in Dreger's case, he just dislikes the Leafs ever since they let Nonis go.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's why Kreider was going to stay another year and a bit in college to sign in Boston and Yandle was a lock to sign in Boston.

That might be true. There's another level for professional athletes playing in their hometown, though, compared to other people. Some really don't like that pressure. I know my mom would be calling into talk radio stations every time someone said anything bad about me. It would be awful.

Wasn't that guy who was the sickiest of the sickest from Boston too?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Georgiev being #5 on the trade bait board is interesting

I wonder if one of these teams like the Leafs crack to Gorton’s demands before the deadline

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
We’re all going to be disappointed with the Kreider return. That’s what pains me the most. The other guys moving them all made sense we needed to restock the cupboards. But now moving Kreider, we’re just making our roster weaker. I hate the idea of moving him really do. Feels like we’re forfeiting next year by doing so.

but as I laid out in the other thread the long term vision is going to call for moving our ufas this year and next

we will also be disappointed by the results of signing kreider to a 7 year contract too...so atleast we are consistent.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I saw that game. Luke Kunin scored two big goals. He is starting to find his game in the NHL. We discussed him in 2016 & 2017 when the Rangers were looking to trade Stepan. The Wild were more interested in Stepan in 16 than 17. Joel Eriksson-Ek? He set up Kunin for a SHG. Jordan Greenway? Former BU player. He would fit the Rangers. Ryan Donato stinks.

Is Lias Andersson a fit there?

Guerin inherited 3 NMC's in Parise, Sutter and Zuccarello. Geurin gave Spurgeon a NMC. Good luck with the expansion draft.

JD wants one of the Foligno's in a Rangers sweater.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Rooting for CLB & FLA to keep pushing their pace towards the deadline. If those two teams are in the mix, the price for Eastern conference teams stays high. I don't think FLA makes it unless Bob goes on an absolute streak. CLB makes it interesting.

They are finding their stride. Don't know the exact figures, but they are some like 19-3-change in the last little while, with a ton of injuries. They find a way to win games. Their back-up adjusted to the NHL. They keep finding a way despite a lack of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad