Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I just think the only thing about Jost that moves the needle for most people is his draft position. Tell me something about his game that you like? He’s undersized, not physical, not particularly good defensively and he’s been unable to find his scoring despite opportunities to play with lots of different high end guys. Compher is out producing him and he’s considered more of a shutdown/energy guy. It’s not that I don’t like Jost or think he has some upside that he may find with a change of scenery, but if he’d been drafted 25-35 instead of at 10 would anyone really be interested in him as the main piece for Kreider? I’d rather a guy like Gauthier and a 2nd than Jost and a late 1st. That late 1st is gonna be 3+ years from helping us. A guy like Gauthier would almost undoubtedly help us either immediately after being acquired or next season and forward.

I mean you kind of contradict yourself here. You ask if anyone would be interested in Jost as the main piece for Kreider if he was picked in the 25-30 range and then advocate scuttling the 1st round pick for a kid from Carolina who was taken 21st overall in the same draft as Jost and also happens to be 7 months older.

I like Gauthier. A lot, in fact. But I think your post shows the biases that exist when it comes to players who are under-achieving at the NHL level when compared to those who are performing reasonably well in the AHL. If Jost was playing in the AHL, he'd probably be at least meeting Gauthier's output and we'd be talking about him as a player who just needs a shot instead of a guy who is getting on the train to bustville.

As for why I like Jost, it's because he's a skilled player with a great motor and good hockey sense. Are there a lot of kids who I could describe the same way who never put it together in the NHL? Of course, but it's a good set of skills to roll the dice on. I think if you put him in a system that isn't so heavily influenced by pace and move him to the wing full time it will put him in a better position. Stick him on Zibanejad's wing to close out the year and just tell him to get to the net. Is he a star just waiting to break out? Probably not, but I think the tools are there to be a very useful player.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The thing about people from Boston that I’ve learned now that I’m a New Yorker living in Boston (I am not a Bostonian let me make that clear) is that they really friggen love Boston. I can’t see Kreider passing up an opportunity to sign long term for them vs say a Colorado throwing money at him. He’s going to stay on the East coast and as close to Fenway as possible.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The thing about people from Boston that I’ve learned now that I’m a New Yorker living in Boston (I am not a Bostonian let me make that clear) is that they really friggen love Boston. I can’t see Kreider passing up an opportunity to sign long term for them vs say a Colorado throwing money at him. He’s going to stay on the East coast and as close to Fenway as possible.
That's why Kreider was going to stay another year and a bit in college to sign in Boston and Yandle was a lock to sign in Boston.

That might be true. There's another level for professional athletes playing in their hometown, though, compared to other people. Some really don't like that pressure. I know my mom would be calling into talk radio stations every time someone said anything bad about me. It would be awful.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yandle didn’t turn down Boston they never really made a play for him from what I recall.

and staying an extra year in school would have been dumb for CK. He was going to go to NY a city close enough. That wasn’t ever going to happen. But if they are as reported wanting him badly. He’s not going to say no to them.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I saw that game. Luke Kunin scored two big goals. He is starting to find his game in the NHL. We discussed him in 2016 & 2017 when the Rangers were looking to trade Stepan. The Wild were more interested in Stepan in 16 than 17. Joel Eriksson-Ek? He set up Kunin for a SHG. Jordan Greenway? Former BU player. He would fit the Rangers. Ryan Donato stinks.

Is Lias Andersson a fit there?

Guerin inherited 3 NMC's in Parise, Sutter and Zuccarello. Geurin gave Spurgeon a NMC. Good luck with the expansion draft.

Lias and Buchnevich to Wild for Greenway and Kunin???

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only thing we might get for Lias is a guy like Bracco honestly. That might be part of the conversations between the organizations.

and Toronto might be Able to actually make lias an nhler. They have the best skating coach in the world on their staff in Barb Underhill. If she can’t teach him how to skate nobody can. They may like their chances with that.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I mean you kind of contradict yourself here. You ask if anyone would be interested in Jost as the main piece for Kreider if he was picked in the 25-30 range and then advocate scuttling the 1st round pick for a kid from Carolina who was taken 21st overall in the same draft as Jost and also happens to be 7 months older.

I like Gauthier. A lot, in fact. But I think your post shows the biases that exist when it comes to players who are under-achieving at the NHL level when compared to those who are performing reasonably well in the AHL. If Jost was playing in the AHL, he'd probably be at least meeting Gauthier's output and we'd be talking about him as a player who just needs a shot instead of a guy who is getting on the train to bustville.

As for why I like Jost, it's because he's a skilled player with a great motor and good hockey sense. Are there a lot of kids who I could describe the same way who never put it together in the NHL? Of course, but it's a good set of skills to roll the dice on. I think if you put him in a system that isn't so heavily influenced by pace and move him to the wing full time it will put him in a better position. Stick him on Zibanejad's wing to close out the year and just tell him to get to the net. Is he a star just waiting to break out? Probably not, but I think the tools are there to be a very useful player.

I think that is all fair, I do wonder if Jost costs more given he has been in the NHL for like 3 years.

Like I could see a scenario where the pluses (picks) attached to Jost versus Gauthier differ quite a bit. Carolina has their own 1st, Toronto's 1st, their own 2nd and the Rangers 2nd. Colorado has their 1st and Toronto's 3rd.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
The only thing we might get for Lias is a guy like Bracco honestly. That might be part of the conversations between the organizations.

and Toronto might be Able to actually make lias an nhler. They have the best skating coach in the world on their staff in Barb Underhill. If she can’t teach him how to skate nobody can. They may like their chances with that.
Don’t you find it odd that a kid who has played hockey all his life was at least a sure fire 1st round pick (most likely later then when we picked him) can’t skate. You think if his skating was that bad surely people would have noticed? Maybe his positioning helped him until he reached the NHL level, but you can’t help to think what the heck were these scouts thinking.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Bracco is not that good. reminds me of Lettieri. not much of a fan Jeremy Bracco Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com rather try to get Pierre Engvall or someone more useful like Adam Brooks. Adam Brooks Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com who Rangers had at their prospect camps a few years ago, than another AHL tweener like Vinnie or Boo type

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Kreider is from Massachusetts, I am guessing he grew up a Bruins fan. If he gets traded there I think there is a very good chance he gets re-signed. Rangers should definitely look for a conditional pick if he is traded there.
Boston has to resign Krug and Debrusk this year. Unless they move on, probably from both, there’s no $ for Kreider.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Jost also has really strong underlying numbers and isolated impacts. I get it that some people dislike him, but it seems like the tools are there for this kid to take another step in his development in a bigger role. Bowers is the other kid that makes sense from the Avs.

Newhook is the obvious top choice, but I just can't see it happening for a rental; maybe for an extended Kreider like Vegas did with Stone.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

I saw that game. Luke Kunin scored two big goals. He is starting to find his game in the NHL. We discussed him in 2016 & 2017 when the Rangers were looking to trade Stepan. The Wild were more interested in Stepan in 16 than 17. Joel Eriksson-Ek? He set up Kunin for a SHG. Jordan Greenway? Former BU player. He would fit the Rangers. Ryan Donato stinks.

Is Lias Andersson a fit there?

Guerin inherited 3 NMC's in Parise, Sutter and Zuccarello. Geurin gave Spurgeon a NMC. Good luck with the expansion draft.

Greenway would be a great player to grab for our rebuild . Crosses off many checks on the list of attributes for a club that needs to play bigger and more robust . Not sure what it would take to get him....is Skjei from Minny ? That could be the start of a deal . If we could find a left side Dman from them maybe it is possible .

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Don’t you find it odd that a kid who has played hockey all his life was at least a sure fire 1st round pick (most likely later then when we picked him) can’t skate. You think if his skating was that bad surely people would have noticed? Maybe his positioning helped him until he reached the NHL level, but you can’t help to think what the heck were these scouts thinking.

listen if you ask me I knew he couldn’t skate from the minute I laid eyes on him in traverse city. That’s how far behind he was than everyone else in my opinion. So I’m the last person you should ask this of. I have no idea how he was a first round pick let alone a top 10 pick. I don’t know what the scouts were watching but they all had him at least as a first rounder so they can’t all be crazy. It’s looking like a bad draft though so dominating that age group isn’t as impressive as it looked at the time

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think that is all fair, I do wonder if Jost costs more given he has been in the NHL for like 3 years.

Like I could see a scenario where the pluses (picks) attached to Jost versus Gauthier differ quite a bit. Carolina has their own 1st, Toronto's 1st, their own 2nd and the Rangers 2nd. Colorado has their 1st and Toronto's 3rd.

It comes down to so many factors. Even just how the prospect is viewed within the organization plays a huge role. Jost is struggling in the NHL most nights, so he's probably looked at through the lens of disappointment. Gauthier, on the other hand, is showing significant strides in the AHL, so the Canes probably look at him through a very different lens.

Then when you combine that with playoff aspirations, general needs, and available assets you get wildly different markets between teams. To your point, the Canes have an extra pick, so they're probably less resistant to moving one for help now. The Avs had two really good picks last year and are a great team, but they lack a 2nd this year so they might be more resistant to moving their 1st rounder and not picking until the 3rd round in what's considered a reasonably deep draft.

Finally, you have the timing factor. A GM could have a very different opinion now compared to 15 minutes before the deadline after he just watched a division rival load up for a cup run. Suddenly that 1st round pick doesn't look so sacred because you know you're in the hot seat.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Jost also has really strong underlying numbers and isolated impacts. I get it that some people dislike him, but it seems like the tools are there for this kid to take another step in his development in a bigger role. Bowers is the other kid that makes sense from the Avs.

Newhook is the obvious top choice, but I just can't see it happening for a rental; maybe for an extended Kreider like Vegas did with Stone.

I'm sure the Rangers will ask about Newhook, but if the Avs didn't want to deal that pick for Kreider at the draft with Newhook on the board, I don't see enough motivation for them to do it now. Maybe if Newhook was struggling or the Avs were just running away from the league and looked like Tampa a few years ago, but they're still growing.

To your point, yes, maybe in a bigger deal that involves an extension, but I don't know if the Avs want to invest money in a Kreider deal with Makar and Landeskog coming up soon.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
i'm sure Georgiev fits in MN.........Andersson may too..........so what would they move?

Also that Zucker contract would replace Kreider nicely

Reactions: leetch99

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So Shesterkin is not going to the AHL all star game. I for one am not surprised. I’d actually be surprised if he even goes down during this break to play any AHl games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad