Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but I just think that Huberdeau and Barkov are peak prime, Hoffman can be a really dangerous player, Dadonov is flying out there and is a valuable NHLer, Yandle, Ekblad and so forth.

Sure they can add some more talent and kids the coming years and improve depth. But it should be time for them to start making some noise.

Yeah they've got the two centers, the D, and the scorer but they dont have much else beyond that.

You're right that the core might not get it done, but it might be an incomplete core.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
There are a ton of openings all over the league for RDs and none for LDs. There is an incentive for players to launch themselves as RD candidates. Look at the contract Smith got. 2m less per year if he can't play RD?

So... him saying that he likes playing the right side and actually playing the right side most of his career is somehow less factual than your complete speculation that he's only saying that because it's more lucrative to "launch themselves as RD candidates"?

Got it. I'll take Brendan saying he enjoys playing there and actually playing there over a baseless conjecture any day of the week.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't see any realistic trade with Chicago for Hayes. They're not trading their first rounder, and their prospect pool isn't that great.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Buch + Shattenkirk @50% + ? for Nylander?
Staal @ 2.85 to the highest bidder on his list. Some playoff team would give up a mid-late round pick. no?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
My speculation...

I was looking at Winnipeg and how they might be a trading partner for Hayes and came up with a different angle. They have a lot of payroll pressure coming in the short term. They need a center to slot in behind Schiefle.

What about Mika straight up for Trouba?

Mika gives them a very reliable second line center with a reasonable contract. Trouba gives the Rangers the young right shot shut down defenseman they desperately need. He will need a big contract soon that will be difficult for Winnipeg to fit.

Value for value. Thoughts?

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Buch + Shattenkirk @50% + ? for Nylander?
Staal @ 2.85 to the highest bidder on his list. Some playoff team would give up a mid-late round pick. no?

The highest what and what list?

He's got a full NMC through the end of his contract. There is no list. And no one is bidding on him at all, much less "highest" and, if anything, we'd have to give someone a pick to take him.

Reactions: Berserk

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hope so, bud.

Reason I say that is if things start to look like they are mirroring an Edm type situation, then I expect a shift in focus to trade multiple assets and signing a big name player....which is what I expect to happen in 2-3 years anyway.

Not because the rebuild stalled, but to augment what's already being built now anyway.

Sign a Panarin and or EK65 and things start to take a different shape.

The real difference between NYR and EDM is that even in the worst of times, NY is a destination that players want to sign in, or angle towards if they are under contract and want out of their current situations

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
My speculation...

I was looking at Winnipeg and how they might be a trading partner for Hayes and came up with a different angle. They have a lot of payroll pressure coming in the short term. They need a center to slot in behind Schlegel.

Mika gives them a very reliable second line center with a reasonable contract. Trouba gives the Rangers the young right shot shut down defenseman they desperately need. He will need a big contract soon that will be difficult for Winnipeg to fit.

I like the concept but the value is different. Trouba doesn't put up the points but from WPGs standpoint that's a great deal.

However, if you pair Trouba with a top end guy, then you have an anchor pair.

I'm more inclined to bail WPG out of the Perrault contract for two of their younger assets and give them a rental.

But then again cap space is an asset.

I'm a fan of Poolman and Appleton.

Reactions: Bozle

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My speculation...

I was looking at Winnipeg and how they might be a trading partner for Hayes and came up with a different angle. They have a lot of payroll pressure coming in the short term. They need a center to slot in behind Schlegel.

Interesting. I think I’d try for an additional piece from WPG, but this is the basis of a deal that makes sense, IMO.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I like the concept but the value is different. Trouba doesn't put up the points but from WPGs standpoint that's a great deal.

However, if you pair Trouba with a top end guy, then you have an anchor pair.

I'm more inclined to bail WPG out of the Perrault contract for two of their younger assets and give them a rental.

But then again cap space is an asset.

I'm a fan of Poolman and Appleton.
This intrigues me as well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So... him saying that he likes playing the right side and actually playing the right side most of his career is somehow less factual than your complete speculation that he's only saying that because it's more lucrative to "launch themselves as RD candidates"?

Got it. I'll take Brendan saying he enjoys playing there and actually playing there over a baseless conjecture any day of the week.

What are you talking about??

You often hear, especially younger, LDs claim that they can prefer to play RD if there is an opening there (which there often is whole there often is a logjam at LD). I was thinking about Skjei who did just that, worked horribly.

Please read a post before jumping on whomever posted it. I only mentioned Smith because he is a player who got paid due to being able to play at RD. Got it?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They’re not gonna trade a top 3 pick for a rental.

But Ottawa is off to a hot start!!! ;)

Seriously though, who am I kidding, I am sure you are right and it was just wishful thinking. I actually thought of Soderberg coming here as a cap dump along with that pick first — but Soderberg is even off to a pretty hot start and he wasn’t that bad last year. They also have cap space this year and probably next too(?).

But if that pick looks to be around 10-15 in Marsch instead of top 5 it could be another story.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My speculation...

I was looking at Winnipeg and how they might be a trading partner for Hayes and came up with a different angle. They have a lot of payroll pressure coming in the short term. They need a center to slot in behind Schiefle.

RJ for Seth Jones kind of trade.

Probably fair but I’d rather the Rangers be able to use quantity for quality, like Hayes plus Pionk.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Exhibit-C-Nylander-e1451028602317.jpg

Meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad