Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The only reason I could see Smith playing RD is to increase his value in a trade. No reason to have him over there with Shattenkirk/Pionk/ADA/Mcquaid. Too early to be exploring a hypo squad post trading two of those.

Smith is more comfortable playing the right side. So there's that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get the distinct feeling that the Rangers are going to grab McHilleny from CAR once Darling is healthy.

You can't keep going into the year with your backup options the way they are.

I seriously doubt it, unless we are sending Tokarski the other way, but I don't see the point. Is Georgiev not good enough to back up Hank? Are we really worried about winning games with our backup?

Georgiev will get his games in the AHL too, so he won't just be playing 20 games behind Hank. He played in Hartford last night and I assume he'll get the start again today. Then he'll probably be recalled, either after that game, or on Monday (allowing Mazanec to back up Hank tomorrow), and then play either Tuesday or Thursday.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Trading for Nylander would likely gut the roster of players we wouldn't want to part with. I doubt Nylander will look quite as good with a limited supporting cast for the next few years. We are early in the rebuild and adding him at this time is too early. Let's accept the stink for a couple years while the kids develop. Next draft should be fun.

Eh, if we're talking about roster players specifically, there isn't much on this team that I wouldn't be willing to give up for Nylander. Now when you start talking prospects that's a different story. Not because I'm in love with all of them, but because you're selling low on the value of players. Guys like Miller and Lundkvist don't have any real value compared to what they could be in 2 years, and the Rangers are better off waiting and seeing what they have there.

I don't think Nylander is a franchise piece but he's definitely a high-end support player right now with the potential to become more. Not sold on him as a center, but as a RH playmaker he slots in very well with Zibanejad and Kreider.

If for some reason the Leafs liked a package of Zucc and Skjei for Nylander and a prospect, you're adding the most talented player in the deal while not making your team better in the short term. As strange as it is, that's probably the right kind of deal for the Rangers right now. Get a great building block for the future at a position of weakness, and you're not inadvertently turning your squad into a playoff team.

Still, I think Nylander signs a bridge and stays in Toronto.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If Nylander's dad says he should go to the Rangers he'll probably listen to him ;)

But I don't like this kid's attitude. He thinks he can command Tavares salary out of the gate..

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Currently on the Metro North back into the city and Lindy Ruff is sitting ten feet from me. AMA.

Reactions: TheTakedown

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Zucc, Smith (Retained) and the Tampa pick for WN with some conditional things added is what I would offer initially.

Hayes plus to Carolina for a Young D and Fox

McQuaid plus Names and/Or Spooner at the deadline for picks

Staal buyout. A couple of smart UFA signings. The Russian invasion... A great draft.

Suddenly we are fun and potent. But very green...

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Watching the standings, lol at Florida being at the bottom. They should be a top 4-6 team in the East and if they can’t do that this year there is something seriously wrong with the core they have and everything should be torn apart. They have a good team.

Reactions: Mikos87

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I want to be positive, but I am pretty afraid of were this rebuild is heading looking at the threatment of ADA. We are rebuilding and have a kid come in and play fairly well.

Any experience of developing kids in the NHL should tell you that there is only one way to make a NHLer of a young kid, especially at the blueline. That is to give them as good as possible environment to succeed in. Odds are that alone won’t be enough.

I definitely think odds are that we already put the nails into ADAs coffin. Like he is behind everyone and face a tough task just to catch up, would probably take a month. Let alone take the necessary steps.

I think Brooks piece on how Quinn should see what he got in ADA is just mindboggling. What does he mean — that ADA now could hit the ice running and get the job done lol? It bloody have to start tomorrow if that is going to even remotely be possible.

But who cares about that, if Brooks pitches some dumb idea, but what really would be scary is if Gorts still had some delusional belief that it would be possible for a kid to somehow rescue his game and get it back on track even if you screw them. That is what EDM always have done. They have never asked what is best for a kid not being a FOA pick and a great one of them, but simply made available the best they could offer and thought that would suffice. It has never even been close, Draisatl got a perfect situation due to McD and McD has of course been supported well. But nobody else — NOBODY really — have developed well for them, during like 8 years.

The only lesson learned, not just looking at EDM but all over the league, should be that you must do a perfect — spotless litterary — job developing a kid to get any kind of results from it. Ice time, linemates whatever, conditions must be really good.

I won’t pass judgement at this point if Gorts and the organization made a call on ADA and game up to the conclusion that he isn’t worth investing in. I am sceptical of such a decision in light of what I’ve seen from ADA whom I like, but it’s not easy. But if we believe that we are just letting him mature and that he will get his chance 1-3 months into the season and then will — if he has “it” — he able to hit the ice running and become a NHL PMD sure it’s really a complete joke. Let’s say Erik Karlsson helps out in a contract dispute and we got him in early December, god what a mess he would be the first month playing cold for a new team etc. Look at how hard he and SJ are working to get him going there.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Is ADA having issues in practice? I mean maybe that’s why? Not doing the right things the coaches want?

Carp goes to practice and all we get is that Cleasson is hurt?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
If Nylander's dad says he should go to the Rangers he'll probably listen to him ;)

But I don't like this kid's attitude. He thinks he can command Tavares salary out of the gate..
I'm still giving Willy the benefit of the doubt that he is worried about being flipped for defense. The more cost controlled and longer the deal, the better the trade for Toronto. They want to get Nylander signed so the good old boy canadians get mega deals next summer.

The Canadian media, basically Toronto fans, are crapping on Nylander because he is putting a wrench in the cup dream. They got all of hockey mad. It's a bad attitude to not want to be traded from a contender? Meanwhile posters want Chytil sent to the AHL to slide his contract a 2nd year. Dude will have like 5 seasons played before he gets a new deal. Treat these guys like mules and then be shocked they use every provision available to earn more sooner.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Nylander is a big risk, but it could be the only team seriously interested in Brendan Smith because he played for Babcock in Detroit. So if it costs us only Zucc, Smith, Rykov and Gropp/Ronning to get Nylander then it might be worth the risk, even though Nylander is overpriced and overhyped, but probably better to not take a risk Nylander might be not much more than an overhyped Namestnikov.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If Smith continues to rehabilitate his career, he will certainly be tradeable at some point. Perhaps this years trade deadline with some significant salary holdback. More likely next year. It’s doubtful the Rangers will become relevant during his contract term.

And let’s stop speculating about Staal. He has a full NMC. He is not going to move during the season and more likely to be a buyout candidate. Depending on how many current defensemen are still in the organization in March, that may be this summer or more likely next summer.

I wouldn’t read much into who is playing and who is scratched in Hartford. Lots of small nicks and bruises we never hear about. It’s hockey.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I don't see Staal being bought out. At this point, it's more cost efficient to keep him around and just let the contract end. We can afford it. If nothing else, he's a decent ambassador for the team. I potentially could envision the final year being bought out, but still don't find it likely.

He's also an excellent ambassador for the tank.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm still giving Willy the benefit of the doubt that he is worried about being flipped for defense. The more cost controlled and longer the deal, the better the trade for Toronto. They want to get Nylander signed so the good old boy canadians get mega deals next summer.

The Canadian media, basically Toronto fans, are crapping on Nylander because he is putting a wrench in the cup dream. They got all of hockey mad. It's a bad attitude to not want to be traded from a contender? Meanwhile posters want Chytil sent to the AHL to slide his contract a 2nd year. Dude will have like 5 seasons played before he gets a new deal. Treat these guys like mules and then be shocked they use every provision available to earn more sooner.

Yeah I was thinking about this too.

If the contract slides it’s 75k last and this year and then 850k for 3 more years. Don’t think they have to frequent any provider of free soup in HFD to get by — but financially it’s a big blow for them.

It’s interesting that we instantly find it unthinkable to trade Shatty because he signed as a UFA but Brooks all over having the kids ELCs slide another year...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I don't see why the Rangers should be so concerned with getting more slides with Andersson and/or Chytil. They still need 7 accrued seasons or 27 years old for group III. An accrued season is being on the active roster for 40 NHL games. They start the arbitration clock sooner. It won't hurt them in group III. They can play around with the 40 NHL games on the active roster.

Gorton needs to acquire more first rounders which might not be so easy this year with so many other rentals available and the draft is supposed to be really good. I saw the US national development team last against Harvard. It was boys against men. The younger US squad dominated the older Harvard team. Adam Fox scored a goal for Harvard. A few of the US D. Cam York and Alex Vlasic. The Rangers can use one of them. York can skate and move the puck. Smart and composed. He was committed to BC but he backed out of his BC commitment after Greg Brown left. Brown knows him very well. He is from Anaheim. Scott Niedermayer was his youth coach. It shows. York is well coached. Vlasic is 6-6 and he has those long strides covering the entire ice. He isn't a tall guy with limited mobility like the Rangers old D Kjell Samuelsson. Seaweed. Quinn recruited Vlasic to BU. Vlasic is still going to BU next season.

Chris Kreider is a better player since the blood clot surgery. He seems to be more patient holding onto to the puck to make a play. His time off helped him realize he has more time with the puck and he doesn't need to get rid of it right away. The Rangers should trade him in February. They will get more than your average rental. They traded McDonagh with one season remaining. Maximize his value. Get more than a late 1st and a prospect.

Gorton needs to be more decisive like he was with McDonagh and Miller.

They dilly dallied with Hayes and Zuccarello. Hopefully,Gorton can get #1's for each of them.

They didn't want to pay Miller and Hayes. Brooks wrote they had big decisions with both players. In other words, the Rangers didn't want to make the long term commitment. They traded Miller and still have Hayes. The latter is still the same player. He plays even more under Quinn. It must be a Boston thing.

Craig Custance wrote Zuccarello is like Nyqvist. The Red Wings haven't talked contract with the player and doesn't make sense for them to re-sign him at their stage of the rebuild.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Would Kevin Hayes sign long-term in Boston? His brother Jimmy had a rough time with the fans calling up radio stations and bashing him. They said that's one of the reasons why Vesey didn't sign with the Bruins. Kevin didn't sign with the Bruins when was a free agent in 2014. He isn't 22 years old anymore.

Hayes to the Bruins for Krug who is signed through 19-20. $5.25M cap hit. $5.5M salary this season and $5M salary next. He has a limited NTC to 8 teams. The Rangers have 22 teams to trade Krug to without his consent. The Rangers flip Krug to a 3rd team. 3 way deal. Heinen and Bjork are two names mentioned as being available in Boston. The TSN panel brought up those names last week. The Bruins are looking for a forward.

The Rangers would get more futures dealing Krug. Offensive D. Signed for one more season. Affordable contract.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Been on the Cam York bandwagon since Dec of last year. Kid can play.

Shea Theodore type of player. Another is Chowlowski in on DET.

Theodore was also coached by Scott Neidermayer. Players like that can physically dominate their games and not hit a guy.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Watching the standings, lol at Florida being at the bottom. They should be a top 4-6 team in the East and if they can’t do that this year there is something seriously wrong with the core they have and everything should be torn apart. They have a good team.

Been in FLA the last couple of weeks. Saw them live, they've got depth issues. Minutes and matchups are not sorted the way it should be.

But the biggest culprit is goaltending imo. Reimer has been terrible for them.

Reactions: Ola

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
@RangerBoy

I don't think Hayes will yield Krug. I also don't see a reason for Boston to trade him unless he's demanding crazy money on his next deal. Chara isn't going to pay forever. Think this year or next is it for him. I could see Hayes getting one of Bjork or Heinen plus this year's 1st from Boston. They won't trade anyone of significance if they're making a run this year.

Cam York is going to be a top 15 pick next June. Maybe the best defensive prospect outside of Byram and Broberg thus far. Vlasic I have closer to the end of the 1st round. He's going to be a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad