Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Helleson and McCarthy are the other two US NDTP defensemen to keep an eye on. Both RD

I think as we move closer to the draft, Helleson and York will emerge as the clear top two.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Been in FLA the last couple of weeks. Saw them live, they've got depth issues. Minutes and matchups are not sorted the way it should be.

But the biggest culprit is goaltending imo. Reimer has been terrible for them.

Yeah, but I just think that Huberdeau and Barkov are peak prime, Hoffman can be a really dangerous player, Dadonov is flying out there and is a valuable NHLer, Yandle, Ekblad and so forth.

Sure they can add some more talent and kids the coming years and improve depth. But it should be time for them to start making some noise.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No more LDs. Gorton filled his ration going for BPA only getting like what was it, 7 out of 9 players at the deadline were LDs.

Given the number of LDs out there you just have to attach a big discount to their value. If you have a Cup caliber team but not one single LD on the roster I basically think you could put together a left side over night, get the top undrafted free agent, sign some OK UFA and trade a couple of 1sts for a top LD.

Imagine if you have a Cup caliber team but not a single center? Or a single RD? You can get a cup caliber winning left D side for say 7m per of money to UFAs and a couple of 1st's. What would it take to get a Cup caliber center lineup? 16 first round picks? Three Taylor Hall's to get a cup caliber right defensive side?

LDs can't be valued the same as other players. 2:1 LDs per any other position.

Reactions: Blurt Vision

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I have no interest in Torey Krug, if we are trading Hayes for D we should be trying to get some kid like Fox or Andersson. At this point R. Andersson's value is probably way higher than Hayes' though (To Calgary at least)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
“I enjoy the right side and I know he likes his dominant left side,” Smith said.

We good now?

There are a ton of openings all over the league for RDs and none for LDs. There is an incentive for players to launch themselves as RD candidates. Look at the contract Smith got. 2m less per year if he can't play RD?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We don't want the "Edmonton rebuild", but, we need to lose more to rebuild...

giphy.gif

The Rangers will NEVER go through an Edmonton type of rebuild

EVER.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah, but I just think that Huberdeau and Barkov are peak prime, Hoffman can be a really dangerous player, Dadonov is flying out there and is a valuable NHLer, Yandle, Ekblad and so forth.

Sure they can add some more talent and kids the coming years and improve depth. But it should be time for them to start making some noise.
Trocheck too. He's probably their best forward outside of Huberdeau and Barkov.

I would wager they finish in a playoff spot, but I don't have an explanation for their slow start.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have a sinking feeling that Nylander on this roster, at this time, would go south pretty quickly.

He’s a very talented player. But this forward group is not Toronto’s, and that’s before we move certain guys.

I just think the context of certain deals is very important and one of the elements that tends to get overlooked.

It’s what leads to acquiring guys and expecting 60-70 points based on what they did in another environment, and being shocked when they come in under that in this one.

I'd be more concerned about that for 28 year old former 1OA snipers than a 22 year old, and still getting better player.

But the premise of your post is accurate

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Would Kevin Hayes sign long-term in Boston? His brother Jimmy had a rough time with the fans calling up radio stations and bashing him. They said that's one of the reasons why Vesey didn't sign with the Bruins. Kevin didn't sign with the Bruins when was a free agent in 2014. He isn't 22 years old anymore.

Hayes to the Bruins for Krug who is signed through 19-20. $5.25M cap hit. $5.5M salary this season and $5M salary next. He has a limited NTC to 8 teams. The Rangers have 22 teams to trade Krug to without his consent. The Rangers flip Krug to a 3rd team. 3 way deal. Heinen and Bjork are two names mentioned as being available in Boston. The TSN panel brought up those names last week. The Bruins are looking for a forward.

The Rangers would get more futures dealing Krug. Offensive D. Signed for one more season. Affordable contract.

I have it on pretty good authority that Kevin is not looking at Boston as a long term option based on how the media and fans treated his brother AND their family.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Krug is 27 years old. Not 17. Not 7. Why would we trade for him?
Yeah, usually RB's proposals are interesting and out of the box, but that was a swing and a miss, even if the purpose is to deal him elsewhere. There's no logic in Boston dealing him, either.

I see Hayes being dealt to Carolina, Colorado, Dallas, or Winnipeg. Somewhere he can be out of the spotlight and be the second or even third option behind a star center.

[MOD]

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I want to trade buch. He's not good. Would easily give him up with zucc for Nylander

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No need for D and Gs at this time. Rangers drafted or acquired enough in the last year and change. They're stuck with the Staal/Smith/Shattenkirk trio for this season and probably next as well. They can continue to sign bargain bin Ds like Claesson as a 6th-7th. By the time one of those three is bought out and another one is traded after the summer of 2020, some of the young guys should be ready.

I'd concentrate on forwards now. Getting an elite guy in a trade is nearly impossible. Nylander isn't elite. Getting ones who have 50-60 breakout point potential, or characters ones who can play with elite guys, that's possible.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hope so, bud.

99.999% chance that we are all dead before the rangers win another cup. but there is 0% chance of us being the oilers. they will scrap the rebuild and go back to spending $$ and trading away picks and prospects to 'win now' to get back to what they were the last decade long before that happens

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The problem in Edmonton wasn’t really strategy, it was execution. When you barely develop any NHL caliber players outside of your high picks, you’re doomed to fail.

The Rangers organization has been good at development for years. Even if they go with the same strategy as the Oilers, they’ll do it better.

That being said, the Oilers hollowed out their team. It doesn’t really look like the Rangers will be doing the same in any abrupt fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->