Oct 23, 2014
i
USA_HUGHES_JACK_large.jpg

Soon.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Gryba on waivers. Quinn coached him three of his four seasons at BU. Does FO put in a claim?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Mind blown there are a subset of people who think Kakko > J.Hughes. Almost as bad as Flat Earthers.
Not that bad, Kakko is awesome and maybe can play as a center. Anyway, I almost want us to pick 2nd, at the very least we won't have to listen for a decade that we passed on Hughes or Kakko.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not that bad, Kakko is awesome and maybe can play as a center. Anyway, I almost want us to pick 2nd, at the very least we won't have to listen for a decade that we passed on Hughes or Kakko.
If they are taking Kakko, I certainly hope it's not to play him out of position

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was really down on Claesson but in fact he’s terrific. I’d say the ranger defensemen have all had good moments. I was so down on Claesson initially but I was way wrong.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Many made the Matthews/Laine comparison. Now I honestly have no clue whether Kakko is on that level or not but, considering our depth in the C pipeline, that may not be the worst thing if we end up with him instead of Hughes.

I think Kakko is better than Laine because he's the more complete player. Laine is a great player and in his draft year he was amazing, but Kakko is just dominating shifts in a way I've not seen before in Liiga. Not by Laine. Maybe Barkov but Kakko is more versatile

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think Kakko is better than Laine because he's the more complete player. Laine is a great player and in his draft year he was amazing, but Kakko is just dominating shifts in a way I've not seen before in Liiga. Not by Laine. Maybe Barkov but Kakko is more versatile
Yeah. So... with Zibby, Howden, Chytil, Andersson, Kakko would be a great addition to the wing. Now, I know Hughes is on another level from any of our guys but can you imagine if we converted Chytil to wing, ran with Zibby, Howden, Andersson and then had a top line of

Chytil - Zibby - Kakko?

1f924.png

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have not seen enough of Hughes to form an opinion. But Kakko? Give me him at no 1. He has the talent to go with a top pick

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Somewhat concerned that the value of Hayes or Zuccarello might drop if they continue to underperform.

As for Claesson, certainly looks like a pretty standard bottom pairing blueliner, which is a step up from what Kampfer had been and what Staal currently is.

In an ideal world Claesson-McQuaid would be an okay bottom pairing on a good D corps. It's the higher end guys we have to worry about and so I won't get too invested in keeping/jettisoning 4th line/3d pairing players during this rebuild. If Claesson can get a 3rd at the deadline you consider it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Somewhat concerned that the value of Hayes or Zuccarello might drop if they continue to underperform.

As for Claesson, certainly looks like a pretty standard bottom pairing blueliner, which is a step up from what Kampfer had been and what Staal currently is.

In an ideal world Claesson-McQuaid would be an okay bottom pairing on a good D corps. It's the higher end guys we have to worry about and so I won't get too invested in keeping/jettisoning 4th line/3d pairing players during this rebuild. If Claesson can get a 3rd at the deadline you consider it.

Player value doesn't really drop within a clue of months. Look at the Nash return. Player value is basically set unless they suffer from injuries

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Player value doesn't really drop within a clue of months. Look at the Nash return. Player value is basically set unless they suffer from injuries

There's a few things with Nash...

He was always a great two-way player, penalty killer with us.
His last 2 seasons he was visible and impactful, just didn't score often
His pedigree far outweighs that of Hayes or Zuccarello.

I guess it depends on how the league sees them. If Martin Erat got Filip Forsberg at the same age I guess I can dream.

My ideal 2019 NYR draft has 4 first round picks, 2 2nds, and 3 3rds. Hayes should ideally get a return on top of his first round pick.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The issue with the Rangers is being bad enough to get a better lottery pick. I totally understand the players wanting to win every game. It does not help the Rangers in the long term. Most of the players on this current roster will not be here when the team is hopefully a top Cup contender. Less than a handful might be here.

The Rangers need elite forwards and those players are found at the top of the draft. The Rangers don’t have much luck with the lottery so they need to be bad to get a top player. Finishing 8th and ending up 9th with Carolina moving up to #2 isn’t an ideal scenario. Those things don’t happen to the Rangers. Moving up 10 spots.

The Rangers are better off losing. That’s how the system is set up. They win these games and the players are so happy. The organization is going to pay the price because the team won’t be good enough to win. These guys will be long gone and we(the fans)will still be here. We were here long before Lundqvist and we will be here when Lundqvist is back in Sweden enjoying his retirement.

This team has a long way to go. You hoped some of the young guys would have played and established themselves as NHL regulars. It’s still early but Andersson is in AHL. Chytil might be joining him. Howden would be the only young guy on the roster and who knows what happens with him. Maybe they send him to the AHL too. Get slides for Andersson and Chytil. They can manipulate how many NHL games they play.

It’s like the Knicks who win meaningless games down the stretch of the season. All of the players are happy to end on a good note. It ends up hurting the franchise. Three more wins sees Golden State draft Curry one pick ahead of the Knicks and the Knicks end up with Jordan Hill. They wanted Curry but they won too many games. Those players on the Knicks were all gone by the next season. What’s the point?

So many years later. The Knicks still suck and Curry has won 3 championships and 2 MVP trophies with Golden State.

The Rangers have never picked higher than 6th with their own pick. Al Montoya in 2004. They traded up to 4th for Brendl in 2000. Their own pick. No higher than 6th. That’s why they never win. 4 Cups in their history. 1 Cup in 78 years. The fewest Cups of any original 6 franchise.

Mismanagement.

They are so concerned with not being terrible and they never end up being great. They end up being mediocre.

Trying to be competitive and rebuild at the same time is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad