Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
So I had this crazy thought...

Vegas needs to move salary as any part of a DeAngelo trade. Vegas needs to move Fleury to make room for a Lehner.

What if...as part of a larger deal, the Rangers take Fleury as a backup to mentor Igor at 50% and then trade Georgiev for other assets.

Sinister, eh?
I doubt Fleury wants to be a backup. That was the reason for his problems in Vegas.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
the bonus cushion is only 7.5% of the cap so a little over $6 mil that you can go over...the carry over $$ would act like dead space next year, but no one should be worried about that cause if guys earn those bonuses you will be happy to pay them. the concern right now is that assuming $2.85 mil in bonuses for Lafreniere that will put our potential bonuses at just over $10 mil. most of those won't be earned but to start the year you need to be under the cap including bonuses less the bonus cushion...so we need to be $4 mil below if I understand the rules. Of course that is only for day 1 to be in compliance and then it doesn't matter

If it only has to be for day 1, which I do not know

And I know no one will like it yet they could

Open with the minimum 20 man roster should that cover the ~4M by demoting players who do not require waivers yet have cumulative bonuses that put them under the cushion, then call them back up for day 2

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Absolutely thought we would stand pat this offseason. Maybe a minor move and let the young guys compete for spots.

They obviously have a few plans for some major moves. Looking forward to it now.

Reactions: NYRangers16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only players who are left over from the last time the Rangers made the playoffs are Kreider, Zibanejad , Buchnevich and Smith.

Assuming that Fast isn't brought back, Zib and Buch would be tied for the 2nd longest tenured player on this team. It's been gradual, but they've turned over basically the entire roster in 3 years. I think Buch is still a candidate to move this offseason.

Well maybe the Rangers want him... :cool:

They can do better.

Though he would be a 100000000x better option than Matt Martin who they probably end up going after.

Reactions: RGY

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Absolutely thought we would stand pat this offseason. Maybe a minor move and let the young guys compete for spots.

They obviously have a few plans for some major moves. Looking forward to it now.

so far they haven't done anything...they weren't going to have 3 goalies and they removed staal which potentially lets young guys compete for spots. everyone is expecting more but nothing has happened yet really

Reactions: LokiDog

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Just keep it simple and take back Reaves
Lundqvist was a great Ranger. I know his moodiness and stubbornness impacted how a lot felt about him the last few years but as time goes by we'll look back and remember how awesome he was. I got to see him play probably more than any athlete in NY.

I don't know if he's going to have any luck in finding a team unless he accepts being a backup. Also with the start of the season and about ten goalies who are younger and cheaper, he might retire.

Two things this tells me:

1) The market for Georgiev is weak and they're going to hold onto him to get through this expansion draft. If one of Wall or Huska is ready, they revisit trade talks
2) Rangers are targeting one or two players specifically like a Dillon and they're going to go the extra year or two with this money to snag them.
I would take Reaves in a heartbeat.

And don’t be so sure about Georgiev. There could well be a team waiting to see if they can draft Askarov before making a move.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So I had this crazy thought...

Vegas needs to move salary as any part of a DeAngelo trade. Vegas needs to move Fleury to make room for a Lehner.

What if...as part of a larger deal, the Rangers take Fleury as a backup to mentor Igor at 50% and then trade Georgiev for other assets.

Sinister, eh?
man... that would be cold. I would be down if he had 1 year left.

Stickign with LVK .. Tuch bug has taken over. I think he has a breakout season and is a perfect player to play with a Panarin or Lafreniere. Could be an absolute steal @ 4.75 for 6 more years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I can't imagine anyone involved be it fans, Hank, his teammates, or the front office is happy with how this worked out. Just think it's important to understand that this was really the only option on the table if Hank wanted to keep playing.

This. Specifically if Hank wanted to keep playing IN THE NHL. A few days ago @Leetch3 and I were talking about the best possible though highly unlikely scenario to be a trade liked Staal’s. Highly unlikely was the key.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So this only freed up 3M. It doesn’t really impact our flexibility that much. I think we have the money to re-sign all of our RFAs, being back Fast and sign a middle pair LHD like Dillon. I don’t anticipate any bigger moves than that. At least not on the signings front. If the Rangers make any kind of splash, it will be in the trade market, with the guys who are always discussed (ADA, Strome, Buch). I don’t think they’re clearing cap to target any big fish signing.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So this only freed up 3M. It doesn’t really impact our flexibility that much. I think we have the money to re-sign all of our RFAs, being back Fast and sign a middle pair LHD like Dillon. I don’t anticipate any bigger moves than that. At least not on the signings front. If the Rangers make any kind of splash, it will be in the trade market, with the guys who are always discussed (ADA, Strome, Buch). I don’t think they’re clearing cap to target any big fish signing.

I would agree. This essentially allows them to no problem sign their own and grab a FA like Dillon. The question is do we see a deal .... going back to be an a fun 10 days

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You know I'll echo @jas regarding the RFA's, and players that the Rangers can move. It's really taking a look at what they have had under their watch, and seeing what they can do to improve the team.

Should be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad