Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can't imagine anyone involved be it fans, Hank, his teammates, or the front office is happy with how this worked out. Just think it's important to understand that this was really the only option on the table if Hank wanted to keep playing.
Just didnt want it to end this way. I think he wouldve been a solid 1B to Igor next season. He wouldve got his games with a condensed schedule to have a true impact on the team’s success.

Seeing him another jersey would be highly intolerable. And if he won a cup in that jersey...that would hurt the most

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Just didnt want it to end this way. I think he wouldve been a solid 1B to Igor next season. He wouldve got his games with a condensed schedule to have a true impact on the team’s success.

Seeing him another jersey would be highly intolerable. And if he won a cup in that jersey...that would hurt the most
I'd be happy for him if he won anywhere else. Few deserve it more right now, with all he's put up with. We made our bed.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So whether we like it or not, another domino has fallen to clear cap space. Now around $23MM in cap space with 13 signed players.

Whats the next shoe to drop? Resign Fast? Trade to address #2C or #1LD?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Except that it’s already been disclosed by board insiders that Lundqvist and Georgiev’s fate are not intertwined and the Rangers are still willing to move Georgiev in the right deal. So, no, everyone else is not thinking too much.

I have a hard time seeing them getting what they want when teams can just sign a ufa

If nyr deals Georgiev they need to have a ufa G like Greiss likes up. It’s not happening at the draft .... if im wrong feel free to call me a big dummy

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So whether we like it or not, another domino has fallen to clear cap space. Now around $23MM in cap space with 13 signed players.

Hard to say. Keep in mind that the Rangers are listening on trade talks involving Strome, Buchnevich, Lemieux, DeAngelo and Georgiev, (as well as Hajek and Andersson). So, even if the Rangers bring in salary, salary could also be going out, and you could not have as many RFAs to deal with. Lot of unknowns right now.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
well one thing that is for sure, the last few days between giving up a pick to move staal and buying out hank, I think its pretty clear that JG & JD are not managing based on their emotions and that they will make the move that they think is best for the team no matter what.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Laf will make 14. I expect at least 1 rookie D to make the team too so thats 15 at about 20ish.

Staal getting moved was so unexpected that I have no idea where they're going this offseason.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I don't think anyone wanted it to end this way. If he couldn't get a cup with us I had always hoped for at least a Ray Bourque situation unless he absolutely had to finish his career as a Ranger. Then a final start and post-game ovation at MSG would have been at least something.

Unfortunately it is what it is at this point. The team has to put the needs of the franchise ahead of the player and Hank is free to go chase a cup elsewhere. I just hope if he does that he gets it quickly instead of fading into oblivion like Ryan Miller or something.

Reactions: RGY

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So I had this crazy thought...

Vegas needs to move salary as any part of a DeAngelo trade. Vegas needs to move Fleury to make room for a Lehner.

What if...as part of a larger deal, the Rangers take Fleury as a backup to mentor Igor at 50% and then trade Georgiev for other assets.

Sinister, eh?

hell no, Fleury is kaput, unless we are getting a massive sweetener

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Per @GAGLine they really have $19m due to bonuses. Although I will say that if they plan to play Smith and then trade him at the deadline, they could bank some cap space to cover some of these once that is completed. Same goes for Strome if he is kept and traded at the deadline.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Vegas needs to move salary as any part of a DeAngelo trade. Vegas needs to move Fleury to make room for a Lehner.

What if...as part of a larger deal, the Rangers take Fleury as a backup to mentor Igor at 50% and then trade Georgiev for other assets.

Sinister, eh?

Didn't Fleury come out the other day and say he wasn't leaving Vegas though? I think it's buyout or nothing there.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If he won’t waive his NMC, The organization should approach his agent and see if Hank will take a one year extension with full movement for that extra year at the minimum price he can be paid. Solves our needing to expose a Goalie for Seattle and he will be an insurance policy if Shesterkin or Georgiev have any physical issues. Take the hit now so the team doesn’t have to carry it forward.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

Sinister, eh?

Yeah, I had this same thought a week or two ago. Sign me up.

Reactions: bobbop

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Didn't Fleury come out the other day and say he wasn't leaving Vegas though? I think it's buyout or nothing there.

He said he wasn't requesting a trade and didn't want to be moved. Only has a 10 team NTC.

Reactions: Trxjw

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lundqvist was a great Ranger. I know his moodiness and stubbornness impacted how a lot felt about him the last few years but as time goes by we'll look back and remember how awesome he was. I got to see him play probably more than any athlete in NY.

I don't know if he's going to have any luck in finding a team unless he accepts being a backup. Also with the start of the season and about ten goalies who are younger and cheaper, he might retire.

Two things this tells me:

1) The market for Georgiev is weak and they're going to hold onto him to get through this expansion draft. If one of Wall or Huska is ready, they revisit trade talks
2) Rangers are targeting one or two players specifically like a Dillon and they're going to go the extra year or two with this money to snag them.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Sinister, eh?

Just keep it simple and take back Reaves

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Sinister, eh?

they would need to up the return for that to make sense for us. aside from Glass & Krebs who i'd want 1 back to deangelo without taking on fleury, not sure they have anyone else (that might be available) that moves the needle besides Hague.

and we really haven't utilized cap space like this in the past...not saying it isn't potentially smart, we just haven't done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad