Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Unless you're a top player the market is depressed. I think Pietrangelo and Hall will get excellent contracts--maybe not quite as good though without Covid. There's just not going to be as much money to go around.
Gorton gona do wellllll bargain hunting imo. He really has a chance to fill out a competitive roster this way.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Looking at the LD on the Cap Friendly UFA board the three that most interest me are 1. Krug 2. Dillon 3. Borowiecki. Krug's a smallish puckmover with a nasty streak who can run a power play. I only sign him if it's reasonable and I'm guessing it won't be enough. Dillon and Borowiecki could probably be had for 3/4 year terms with no trade conditions. I would only sign one though. As our developing LD became ready we could move them along. Both are big, strong and physical guys and we could use more of that element on our D. It's possible that either could be had for a decent price.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Looking at the LD on the Cap Friendly UFA board the three that most interest me are 1. Krug 2. Dillon 3. Borowiecki. Krug's a smallish puckmover with a nasty streak who can run a power play. I only sign him if it's reasonable and I'm guessing it won't be enough. Dillon and Borowiecki could probably be had for 3/4 year terms with no trade conditions. I would only sign one though. As our developing LD became ready we could move them along. Both are big, strong and physical guys and we could use more of that element on our D. It's possible that either could be had for a decent price.
Rather add size instead of additional small puck moving D

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider got lucky.

To some degree Kreider made his own luck. He didn't dog it or pout this season like Zucc did last year. He never complained about the new direction the team decided to go in. Of the veterans he was the one who worked with and encouraged younger players and prospects the most. I think generally he's an open minded individual and he was willing to sign for less $'s to stay than he would have figured then to have gotten on the open UFA market.

If the pandemic had hit a couple/three weeks sooner though that might had kiboshed things for him too.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rather add size instead of additional smI all puck moving D

The one thing with Krug is he can really move the puck around on the power play and he's kind of a bomb of a shot. I think he would be too expensive. In some respects he's a left handed version of DeAngelo albeit a bit older.

I think the Rangers could use a big, strong steady guy on our left D. Skjei never really gave us that. Both Dillon and Borowiecki would and I think adding one of them would do a lot for our PK. They're also tough physical no nonsense players. It would give our team a little extra edge.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I hope Kreider's contract proves me wrong, yet when the debate become maybe they should trade for Eichel or similar because he fits into the primes of what they have and are drafting more so than Zbad does, I think that also speaks to why they probably should have traded Kreider for something that fit into that.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I hope Kreider's contract proves me wrong, yet when the debate become maybe they should trade for Eichel or similar because he fits into the primes of what they have and are drafting more so than Zbad does, I think that also speaks to why they probably should have traded Kreider for something that fit into that.
A) We don't know what the offers were.

B) Kreider's deal is actually pretty good! $6.5MM for a player of his caliber is under-market, and the deal is structured to be eminently tradable over the second half, if need be.

C) History has shown (as @Edge has pointed out repeatedly), front offices are a lot less worried about managing the cap than fans. Competent FOs always have a way out – witness the Staal deal just a few days ago

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
To some degree Kreider made his own luck. He didn't dog it or pout this season like Zucc did last year. He never complained about the new direction the team decided to go in. Of the veterans he was the one who worked with and encouraged younger players and prospects the most. I think generally he's an open minded individual and he was willing to sign for less $'s to stay than he would have figured then to have gotten on the open UFA market.

If the pandemic had hit a couple/three weeks sooner though that might had kiboshed things for him too.

he played all his cards right

Reactions: eco's bones

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So what? They still have 23 million in cap space as they just added nearly 9 million and that dead space is only 1.5 mil next year.

who is complaining with a fact? Hank was on the books regardless. He was dead money for theblast 19 games last season too.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
approx $13 million in dead money
For 2020-2021? Don't we still have enough money to sign the guys we need to sign? I'm not saying I am totally for this buyout albeit the Rangers said they weren't going into the season with 3 goalies and trading Georgiev for peanuts would probably be a bad move. And Hank wasn't gonna retire and leave that money on the table.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

B) Kreider's deal is actually pretty good! $6.5MM for a player of his caliber is under-market, and the deal is structured to be eminently tradable over the second half, if need be.

C) History has shown (as @Edge has pointed out repeatedly), front offices are a lot less worried about managing the cap than fans. Competent FOs always have a way out – witness the Staal deal just a few days ago

The offers must have been for future or youth, it was a trade deadline selling a vet.

I think his deal is questionable, first couple years I think may be okay, after I hope it turns out within market.

The Staal deal had to include a sweetener in order to move. Not sure it takes a ton of GM talent to sell a one year cap hit with a lower salary than the cap hit to a rebuilding team if they add a future to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
For 2020-2021? Don't we still have enough money to sign the guys we need to sign? I'm not saying I am totally for this buyout albeit the Rangers said they weren't going into the season with 3 goalies and trading Georgiev for peanuts would probably be a bad move. And Hank wasn't gonna retire and leave that money on the table.

it was dead money regardless. Now it’s just official on the dead money line item. Smith is too unless moved out like Staal.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Am I the only one worried that we have all this cap space now? I don't wanna overpay Strome with money and term. I think we gave more than fair deals to Trouba and Kreider. Or even go out and overpay a UFA with term and money

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
All I care about is how much free space there is which is plenty to do what they need to do to to put together a competitive roster.

it’s going to take Laf, Miller and Kakko maturing before this team is ready IMO. Next year is progressing yet they’re not a huge playoff threat

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

I believe we a have 23 million in cap space to sign everybody.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Am I the only one worried that we have all this cap space now? I don't wanna overpay Strome with money and term. I think we gave more than fair deals to Trouba and Kreider. Or even go out and overpay a UFA with term and money

We can use it up fast lol

Reactions: bl02

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Great post especially your last point. We just gained 9 million in cap space the last 2 days and neither player is going to be missed from a performance perspective.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The offers must have been for future or youth, it was a trade deadline selling a vet.

I think his deal is questionable, first couple years I think may be okay, after I hope it turns out within market.

The Staal deal had to include a sweetener in order to move. Not sure it takes a ton of GM talent to sell a one year cap hit with a lower salary than the cap hit to a rebuilding team if they add a future to it.
You sound like a radio caller that would get shut off mid sentence. A whole bunch of speculation, little substance, and all doom and gloom.

Next

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I doubt they pay Stome long term big money...I think Edge hinted both parties were looking short term. That is if another move isn't made.

The cap space might just be to re-sign RFAs for next year and maybe Fast, who knows. I'm sure there are lots of options in the air and maybe having cap space to take back a cap dump as part of a deal with someone like Vegas or Calgary (do they need a cap dump?) is a valuable thing to have as well

it’s going to take Laf, Miller and Kakko maturing before this team is ready IMO. Next year is progressing yet they’re not a huge playoff threat

I tend to think that 21-22 is the year the team needs to be making noise...maybe not a finished product (if a team ever is) but it's that window where the teams vets still aren't quite over the hill and the young players have a few seasons under their belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese