Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The Rangers will have a lot of cap space... so what are the odds they make a big move rather than just using it to sign their RFAs and use the rest for some smaller, less expensive pieces?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Rangers will have a lot of cap space... so what are the odds they make a big move rather than just using it to sign their RFAs and use the rest for some smaller, less expensive pieces?
conservative estimate , 95% odds they are trading for Eichel. Jack will be wearing a Rangers jersey by this time next month.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
It's impossible to get excited about clearing money when we have one of the worst contracts in the league 1/7th finished.

Reactions: Rangers743

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The dumbest contract in the league was TDA's bridge-deal...
You wanted to give a long term contract to a player that had no foundation for it at the time, was on his 3rd team, and you don't even know what the player himself wanted?

Sounds about right lol

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Exactly. I would have never given TDA long term contract. He did nothing to deserve it at the time. Now when you are talking about early extensions for players like Lafrenierre, Kakko and Fox, that's a different story. Plus don't kid yourself, JD and Gorton knew they had Lundkvist in the wings and would have 3, smaller, righty defenseman.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's impossible to get excited about clearing money when we have one of the worst contracts in the league 1/7th finished.
Yep, this is still wrong and you continue to sound foolish.

One year in. One year with an abomination of a defensive system and no partner to pair with.

Cant wait until he shows he is worth his weight in gold ...and I wont even want you coming around with your tail between your legs to eat crow.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yep, this is still wrong and you continue to sound foolish.

One year in. One year with an abomination of a defensive system and no partner to pair with.

Cant wait until he shows he is worth his weight in gold ...and I wont even want you coming around with your tail between your legs to eat crow.
I suppose one could say Trouba is overpaid by a bit, but he's a special player. His skill set is rare. There are not many players like him.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I suppose one could say Trouba is overpaid by a bit, but he's a special player. His skill set is rare. There are not many players like him.
And we all said that. We all felt that he was about $1 million per year overpaid. But thats the price you pay when you get your hands on a 25 year old 6’3” physically punishing RHD. One we could not develop on either side for the past several years. One that can play that game and skate well to keep up with the play.

If people want to be angry with him because they expected another 50 point season then I would say you were going to be disappointed to begin with if thats what you expected. He fell right in line with his career norm. He also did not get the PP minutes he had in Winnipeg the year prior, which resulted in a spike in his PP production from previous years there. Then if you want to look at the -12 for the season, look at the corner we painted him into... his D partner situation was an unstable revolving door, the defensive structure of the team continued to be a mess from prior years, and then throw in that its his 1st season playing in NY as opposed to a place like Winnipeg. These are all important factors for context.

I expect him to be better next year and he will. He was our best defenseman in the RTP against Carolina.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
Looking at the LD on the Cap Friendly UFA board the three that most interest me are 1. Krug 2. Dillon 3. Borowiecki. Krug's a smallish puckmover with a nasty streak who can run a power play. I only sign him if it's reasonable and I'm guessing it won't be enough. Dillon and Borowiecki could probably be had for 3/4 year terms with no trade conditions. I would only sign one though. As our developing LD became ready we could move them along. Both are big, strong and physical guys and we could use more of that element on our D. It's possible that either could be had for a decent price.

Stop with Krug, just stop.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly. I would have never given TDA long term contract. He did nothing to deserve it at the time. Now when you are talking about early extensions for players like Lafrenierre, Kakko and Fox, that's a different story. Plus don't kid yourself, JD and Gorton knew they had Lundkvist in the wings and would have 3, smaller, righty defenseman.

But you aren't paid a ton to make those calls. Whoever is paid a GM salary must be able to make them.

No matter if Lundkvist is in the wings, had TDA had term on a cheap contract he would have been -- immensely -- more valuable than he is right now.

TDA now has arbitration rights. He has the production to get awarded a ton by the arbitrator. He can take a couple of arb awards and hit UFA while he still is in his young prime. Choose whichever city he wants to play for and get paid a ton. For Philly and the likes that aren't a big issue, but take like Winnipeg or Calgary or Arizona or Columbus and the likes -- if they trade for TDA, can they be sure that they get nothing but head aches from talk about looming UFA status and arbitrations etc from Day 1?

TDA was our 2nd best player for big parts of the 18/19 season. Even if we trade him, that 1 year deal will cost us a ton. Sure we had no room, but how much would it have cost us to get rid of Names? Smith/Staal could have been bought out. Gorton has made these mistakes many many times, its a problem.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

So why trade for a young upside player who you think will break out, and then wait until afterwards to resign him? You lose all advantage vs the cap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You wanted to give a long term contract to a player that had no foundation for it at the time, was on his 3rd team, and you don't even know what the player himself wanted?

Sounds about right lol

Yup, much rather pay a player that I can tell "will" earn it like TDA than someone that "has" earned it like Staal.

We focus so much on gathering talent. But with the cap in place, and especially with it remaining flat for a looong time, being able to fit whatever talent you have under the cap is just as important as gathering talent. In this league right now, anyone can in the blink of an eye improve their team if they got cap space. If you only pay players that "has" earned it their market value, I am not sure you will be able to compete.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

The X-factor here is -- which teams will have to, not only get under the cap, but cut cost in relation to an owner imposed budget?

Knowing Gorton, he will want to be in on those calls. And with capspace, those people will have him on speed dial.

For me the key is flexibility. Taking on a player that can be traded again makes all the sense in the world. To today lock ourselves up to pay someone in 2026 or whatever -- besides Panarin, Kreider and Trouba -- with a full NMC from today until then is something else. Things can change so much in this league. Two years from now today's "truths" can be totally off. Not to talk about 4 years or 6 years from now.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This year? Or over there next few years?

this year...huge cap hits for shattenkirk ($6 mil) and Lundqvist ($5.5 mil) plus $1.1 mil for girardi and 300k for spooner....next year shattenkirk drops to 1.43 and hank drops to 1.5 plus girardi is $4 mil.

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Honestly, glass half full, the buyouts really don't effect the overall team for the next 2 years because of all of the young talent Gorton and his team have brought in. It's ingenious honestly. The bulk of the buyouts evaporate for the most part right on time to look at Zibanejad, Fox, Shesty and Kaako. And then they are completely gone the same off-season guys like Lafreniere (and I'm sure others, maybe Miller, Lundqvist, etc) are ready for new contracts.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
this year...huge cap hits for shattenkirk ($6 mil) and Lundqvist ($5.5 mil) plus $1.1 mil for girardi and 300k for spooner....next year shattenkirk drops to 1.43 and hank drops to 1.5 plus girardi is $4 mil.
That Girardi deal is insane. What were they thinking?!

Should have traded the Andersson pick to get rid of the contract. In hindsight ;)

Edit: never mind. Read that as 'plus, Girardi is $4 mil'. But now I see that's $4m in total. Fine.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It is?

I think you might have misread that, Girardi doesn’t cost $4m in that season, the buyouts combined cost $4m.

yeah sorry if that wasn't clear...girardi is $1.1 mil per for the next 3 years. so 21-22 the 3 combined will be $4 mil. Then in 22-23, girardi and shattenkirk combine for $2.5 mil. and then all the dead space is gone as long as we stop buying out players lol

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
yeah sorry if that wasn't clear...girardi is $1.1 mil per for the next 3 years. so 21-22 the 3 combined will be $4 mil. Then in 22-23, girardi and shattenkirk combine for $2.5 mil. and then all the dead space is gone as long as we stop buying out players lol
Gotcha. Still, it's so long to be paying Girardi. We really mis-estimated on defensemen for a stretch. Girardi, Staal, Shatty, Smith...Skjei, even...Humbug.

Reactions: bl02

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gotcha. Still, it's so long to be paying Girardi. We really mis-estimated on defensemen for a stretch. Girardi, Staal, Shatty, Smith...Skjei, even...Humbug.

I think the league changed so rapidly in that time period towards more speed and the wear the tear from those seasons under Torts really caught up to some of these guys (Not Shatty, moreso Staal and Girardi)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Looking at the LD on the Cap Friendly UFA board the three that most interest me are 1. Krug 2. Dillon 3. Borowiecki. Krug's a smallish puckmover with a nasty streak who can run a power play. I only sign him if it's reasonable and I'm guessing it won't be enough. Dillon and Borowiecki could probably be had for 3/4 year terms with no trade conditions. I would only sign one though. As our developing LD became ready we could move them along. Both are big, strong and physical guys and we could use more of that element on our D. It's possible that either could be had for a decent price.

Rumor is Krug already turned down $6.5m x 6yrs from Boston. I don't think there will be anything reasonable about his next deal.

To address the LD the Rangers need one of the following two things to be true with whoever they add:
A. The right age to grow with the team
B. Short enough term to get out of the way when the time comes

So that means a Dunn, Hanafin, Dermott (won't let this die), Nurse, Klefbom, etc or someone like Dillon on a 3-4 year deal. Maybe a vet from a cap-strapped team who needs to shed a LD that has 1-2 years left on their deal.

Reactions: White Death 24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad