Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not a fan of this buyout. So much wasted cap space.

I really like this years draft. Geo i would imagine would have fetched a 2nd round pick. Or another prospect that is on the cusp. Or a player to insert. The club has netminders in the system. They always find a backup. Wonder if there was a deal to be had and Hank nixed it?

what do you care about the dead cap space these next two years? We have 20 plus mil lol

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
From Brooks' article:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/29/rangers-buying-out-henrik-lundqvist-in-bittersweet-end-of-an-era/

Hank didn't want to be the backup in NY. Clear as day.
If thats the case then the point I was making is moot. It is what it is. I can understand it from his side. A lot of pride there considering the team is on the rise and he could be going somewhere else only to be relegated to a backup role there as well, all the while not finalizing his great career in one sweater

Reactions: mrhockey193195

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I find it interesting that people don't care much about dead cap space (in general - not solely regarding Hank) yet at the same time you had a huge group of people say things like "I'll go up to 11M for Panarin and that's the limit." What's the difference? It's the same thing. Yea, the dead cap for Hank is one year only but it's not like he's the only one now or there won't be more going forward.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Henrik Lundqvist made the NY Rangers relevant in the last 15 years after the almost decade in the abyss. He's been a great Ranger, almost singlehandedly got the Rangers a Stanley Cup in 2014 (unfortunately, didn't have the supporting cast to win a Cup during his career as a NYR) and has been the face of the franchise. They will hang his banner in the rafters in MSG sometime in the not too distant future. This kind of ending of his tenure here did not go as he would've wanted, or anyone could've foreseen.

I thank him for his contributions to the franchise; he was THE reason the team had any chance to win a Cup in the last 15 years. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

(BTW; welcome back, RangerBoy! I hope all is well with you.)
He almost singlehandedly got them to a cup multiple years. 2012 comes to mind. There were other years they had no business even making it to the 2nd round. Yes there was the 2017 OTT series in which he was pretty bad. But he made the organization more relevant than they deserved way more often than not.

Its a sad day, even if we have seen the writing on the wall for awhile.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
bonus police making his rounds

Bonus cushion is a non-sequitur, especially with the Lundqvist buyout, the Rangers will have like $13.99M in Dead Cap. The following year it's like 3. You can push the bonus cushion over to the following year without any issue.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's really not that complicated.
It's a very simple question, Georgie boy
Well you’re looking at is as pairings and being all like “why is he on the third pair?” when DeAngelo has the 3rd highest average ice time out of all the defensemen that played for the Rangers this year, behind Trouba and Skjei and slightly ahead of Fox

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If thats the case then the point I was making is moot. It is what it is. I can understand it from his side. A lot of pride there considering the team is on the rise and he could be going somewhere else only to be relegated to a backup role there as well, all the while not finalizing his great career in one sweater

I can't imagine anyone involved be it fans, Hank, his teammates, or the front office is happy with how this worked out. Just think it's important to understand that this was really the only option on the table if Hank wanted to keep playing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I find it interesting that people don't care much about dead cap space (in general - not solely regarding Hank) yet at the same time you had a huge group of people say things like "I'll go up to 11M for Panarin and that's the limit." What's the difference? It's the same thing. Yea, the dead cap for Hank is one year only but it's not like he's the only one now or there won't be more going forward.

I agree with the basic premise here... that overpayments are no different than money going to guys not playing for the team. It’s all payroll inefficiency. I just think that most teams have a certain amount of that going on. Even with the Shattenkirk and Lundqvist’s buyouts, the amount the Rangers have isn’t really exorbitant in comparison to other teams. And next season, we’re basically going to be one of the best situated teams even with Hank’s $1.5m on the books.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Carp made a good point a few weeks ago when he said Hank probably has no interest in being a backup and going to optional morning skates and doing all the bullshit a backup goalie has to do.

We'll see how things work out. If Hank heads off to Denver or something to be a backup for a year then we'll have more answers.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well you’re looking at is as pairings and being all like “why is he on the third pair?” when DeAngelo has the 3rd highest average ice time out of all the defensemen that played for the Rangers this year, behind Trouba and Skjei and slightly ahead of Fox

There's nothing wrong with being an offensive weapon that plays with the offensive unit during 5v5. The pairings really should be about matchups. That's something the Rangers did not do well the last two years every game. A lot of it was due to a lack of depth, but with some added space and some ability to make some moves, let's see what Jacques can do behind the bench.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
could it be possible the Rangers make a trade for Alex Pietrangelo's rights sign him and then ship out DeAngelo and try to sell high?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Bonus cushion is a non-sequitur, especially with the Lundqvist buyout, the Rangers will have like $13.99M in Dead Cap. The following year it's like 3. You can push the bonus cushion over to the following year without any issue.

the bonus cushion is only 7.5% of the cap so a little over $6 mil that you can go over...the carry over $$ would act like dead space next year, but no one should be worried about that cause if guys earn those bonuses you will be happy to pay them. the concern right now is that assuming $2.85 mil in bonuses for Lafreniere that will put our potential bonuses at just over $10 mil. most of those won't be earned but to start the year you need to be under the cap including bonuses less the bonus cushion...so we need to be $4 mil below if I understand the rules. Of course that is only for day 1 to be in compliance and then it doesn't matter

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well, as you said, 1 year is drastically different than 7 but even then I think our cap situation currently and for next year is a non-issue. Even with all of this dead cap space and bonus implications we have well over $15m in space to use. Next year we only free up $7m from Hank instead of $8.5m. Not a big difference in the big picture.

Am I putting a lot of faith in Gorton that he's not going to go full Slats and start writing blank checks on October 9th? Yep, but the rebuild so far has given me enough belief in his ability that I trust him and the rest of the brain trust to do the right things.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
OK how about we just to simplify things a bit.
The league has shifted into a much more offensive scheme.
Why wouldn't you put your 50+ point scoring defensemen on the 2nd pairing over a rookie who was still outscored?
Sorry.. It just doesn't make sense to me..
I guess it's because I don't look at it like a first second third pairing. I mean do you think that trouba and Smith were a first pairing at the end of the season? They became a matchup pairing in my eyes. We don't have a first pairing and I think the idea of first second and third pairings has become a little archaic. It's about developing pairs that can function for matchups. I think what actually happened is they put ada and staal together early in the season and they saw that ada being able to move the puck so I'll help his partner. And then who would you have put with staal? And I think the other part of that is that they sheltered how much they were playing staal, but we're still able to give ada a bunch of minutes because he got so much power play time. I look at it like it was a major positive he was able to put up so many points while being paired with who he was. I guess to me that's good enough and it makes him still a great player. no matter what he's not going to be a player that you're going to want to match up against another team's top two lines starting in the d zone. That's not a huge knock on him, but that's just the direction that the game is gone. Other teams have their elite offensive defenseman and they get specific starts and specific minutes in the game, and I don't think ada is any different in that regard. He's elite offensively and I think he was used very well last year, maximizing his affects on the pp and then selectively using him at 5v5. If he's here next year it'll be interesting to see who he ends up with for a partner and if he can handle slightly more difficult matchups. I guess at the end of the day you look at it as having a 123 pairing and I look at it as just having three pairings that can be used in diversified manners during the game to fit what's ideal in each start or each match up. That's perfectly fine for us to look at it two different ways, I was just commenting to answer on you saying that you think he can be a number three d man, when I don't think that defensemen are looked at that way anymore. Like I said instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6 d I think they're just looked at is 3 units that are deployed at different times for different usages.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Which begs the question even more IMO.
That certainly couldn't be all 5v5 time.
3rd pairing and ADA shouldn't even be in the same sentence while Fox is involved.

That's not a knock on Fox.
It's DQ that I have major problems with..

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Or maybe everyone else Is thinking too much ? I like the current 2 G... run w them

Except that it’s already been disclosed by board insiders that Lundqvist and Georgiev’s fate are not intertwined and the Rangers are still willing to move Georgiev in the right deal. So, no, everyone else is not thinking too much.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I'm kind of expecting and hoping Henke's going to end up in Colorado. He could back up Grubauer and based on history once he inevitably gets hurt it would give Henke could have a chance to take over the gig on a team that is probably going to make a good playoff run next year and give them a legit chance to win. Guys complete class it's going to be very difficult to see him on another team, but I wish him the best.
There’s an old baseball movie like that staring Ronald Reagan called “The Winning Team”
Spoiler Alert Beyond this Point:

The film is about an over-the-hill Grover Cleveland Alexander makes a comeback with a new team (St. Louis Cardinals) and helps them win by pitching in the 1926 World Series.

Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad